On Hold at Morehouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blkdawn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else put on hold there? Or has anyone been accepted yet?

Members don't see this ad.

BLKDawn:

Don't be so sad about being put on HOLD at morehouse. Morehouse, unlike RUSH and PENN, does not put everyone on HOLD. In fact, my friend recieved a REJECTION from them pre-interview a week ago.

You still have a chance.

I got waitlisted there...Hopefully I will come off the waitlist in the next few months... good luck! Does anyone know if Morehouse has good waitlist movement?

Members don't see this ad :)
i just recieved a letter of accpetance to morehouse on nov. 26.
the student who gave us a tour during our interview was put on the alternate list. he said that you have to be proactive and tell the committe your interested.

yeah...I have a letter drafted and will send out after thanksgiving...then i guess i will call like every two weeks to check up...plus I think I remember them saying to get the financial aid stuff in quickly...

Thanks for the word of encouragement Kovox and congrats supercat. :)

I was put on HOLD at Morehouse post secondary back in mid november. Has anyone been taken "off" HOLD and received an interview?

thanks! - luw

I called yesterday and found out that my LOR's haven't been received...although they were supposedly sent August 28!!!!! I'm not paying again to have the same crap happen....:mad: +pissed+ This process sucks sometimes....

Hello. I recently interviewed at Morehouse. It was great. Everyone was so cooperative and the students were cohesive. What are the stats of morehouse matriculants (GPA and MCAT). I am not a URM. I really think that Morehouse's atmosphere is right for me. It's in Atlanta. I can do rotations at Grady, the best hospital to start at. The diversity is wonderful and I would love to be associated with Morehouse. Thanks to all.

I am also on hold at moorehouse. I am not sure what to do at this point.

Here's the dope on Morehouse this year:
interviews 250
acceptances ~110
matriculation 50
waitlist 50-60

When you say "hold," do you mean post-secondary but pre-interview as in "hold for interview?" Not using that interchangeably with waitlisted, right?

Tech: When were you there? I was there recently too.
:cool:

Originally posted by ramonmcguire
Here's the dope on Morehouse this year:
interviews 250
acceptances ~110
matriculation 50
waitlist 50-60

When you say "hold," do you mean post-secondary but pre-interview as in "hold for interview?" Not using that interchangeably with waitlisted, right?

Tech: When were you there? I was there recently too.
:cool:

I believe they mean on "hold for interview.":D

yeah i remember that is what the Dean said, but i think he said they accept like 120. Do you think it is still considered early in the applicaiton process at Morehouse?

Members don't see this ad :)
Supercat,

Congratulations on your acceptance to MSM. Do you mind telling us what your stats and EC's were? No problem if you do not want to. When did you interview there?

Did anyone interview at MSM last Friday the 13th besides the person I already talked to.

Has anyone received an interview or rejection after being put on hold (pre-interview) at morehouse? Does anyone know how late they interview?

Hey I was wondering if anyone could offer me any insight. I just received a letter inviting me for an interview at Morehouse; I have been on hold all before. Do you think the class is basically full by now? Can you give me some advice--like what questions they ask? I am really excited, but kind of down because this interview may only be "routine"--meaning they gave me an interview just for the records. Can anyone help!

toogood

Originally posted by toogood1
Hey I was wondering if anyone could offer me any insight. I just received a letter inviting me for an interview at Morehouse; I have been on hold all before. Do you think the class is basically full by now? Can you give me some advice--like what questions they ask? I am really excited, but kind of down because this interview may only be "routine"--meaning they gave me an interview just for the records. Can anyone help!

toogood

I don't think they give "routine" interviews just for the record. They don't want to waste your time and theirs on some pro forma interview. If they're talking with you, it's because you have a shot. If you just got an invite, it could mean several things: they're just getting around to the next batch of invites or they have gone through the original list and didn't get enough candidates they wanted to accept. Who knows? Be glad you got an interview. They accept about 110-120, so I don't think the class is full by now. If I recall correctly, they start interviewing rather late in the process. Good luck.

I don't think it is too late...Morehouse lets a lot of people off the waitlist so regardless of whether there are any spots left, you still have a good chance of getting accepted. You sound like you are excited about the interview and I think that is a great thing -- I think Morehouse values students that are really interested in attending.

There is only one interview and it is pretty low-stress. The first half of the interview is to get to know you as a person (your interests, your family, etc.). During the second half, the interviewer goes through your AMCAS file and dissects your qualifications. My only advice is: be able to talk about your grades, activities, jobs, research, even your essay in great detail. Be able to answer "why medicine" of course and those other general questions.

Don't worry about the fact that it is a february interview -- I interviewd in January. I didn't think I had much of a chance getting in (being a non-URM, and since it was a late interview) but I got an acceptance less than 2 weeks from interviewing. I think its a cool school, and will probably end up there.

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about it. I was put on "HOLD." After I read the letter, I realized that they had made an error in their letter. Do they not proof these things? Is this indicative of what the next four years would be like?

I wanted to thank you all for your replies. You have really made me feel a lot better--like I may have a chance at getting in. Hopefully everything will work out for the best in my situation and in your situations also. If you have any more advice, please don't hesitate to post them! Thanks again.

toogood

Morehouse is a great school. I interviewed there in early December. The interview is very laid back. Just know yourself, what you wrote in your essays and make sure you are able to explain why you want to practice medicine. I also was accepted a couple weeks after interviewing. I loved it there and I'm sure you will too.

....out of curiosity, via what means of communication does Morehouse offer its acceptances ? ( email, letter, etc...) Thanks !

Hey, I was wondering if there its true that Morehouse is about to lose thier accreditation for thier medical school. If its true please let me know.

Morehouse was just re-accredited in '99 if I am not mistaken. I don't know how often that is performed, but I doubt they about to loose their accreditation I heard about a year ago that Howard's was in jeopardy--again I am not sure.

toogood1

Raptor -i dont believe morehouse is losing the accreditation. i think you are mistaken. morris brown is losing their accreditation.

divinemsm-i found out my acceptance through the mail. good luck.

full accreditation is granted in 7-year terms...you can check out this website for information about LCME and when each school's accreditation period is up:

http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm

I don't think morehouse is in any jeopardy. during my visit I was told that they have been approved by LCME to expand their enrollment to like 70-something per class. but hey you never know...

....out of curiosity, via what means of communication does Morehouse offer its acceptances ? ( email, letter, etc...) Thanks !

they send out letters

To respond to the post about whether or not MSM still takes candidates interviewing late seriously, I say yes. Rather than trying to figure out if they are just interviewing you for routine, just go in there with a positive attitude. You have to recognize that you have at least some qualities that they are interested in. After that, the ball is in your court to shape the outcome. So put your best foot forward!

Also, stay up on them if you get a waitlist! Don't give up!
:clap:

Does anyone know morehouse admission's email addy?

thanks