Knicks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2007
Status
I read this in one of those muscle-head magazines while in a waiting room and I couldn't help but giggle at this:

It was discussing Vit. D and sunlight: "Since skin is the best way to absorb the nutrient, the sun is the perfect vehicle to deliver Vit. D"

LoL, I didn't know the sun sent down Vit. D for our skin to absorb. :D

MeRLin443

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I read this in one of those muscle-head magazines while in a waiting room and I couldn't help but giggle at this:

It was discussing Vit. D and sunlight: "Since skin is the best way to absorb the nutrient, the sun is the perfect vehicle to deliver Vit. D"

But your skin has to be wet to absorb it, so that is why we sweat.

Knicks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2007
Status
Ooooh, ok.

Now it's all coming together. :cool:

just one

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2009
Edmond, Oklahoma
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I don't know if you are making fun of the wording of the article or you didn't know vit D is produced in the body utilizing sunlight, but here...http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15585788

Last edited:

fsunavybabe

allopathic med student
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I don't know if you are making fun of the wording of the article or you didn't know vit D is produced in the body utilizing sunlight, but here...http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15585788
yeah he's making fun.

But if you want to get all technical now - the amount of vitamin D made in your skin with activating effects via sunlight exposure is actually pretty "mini-scule" in relation to the amount the body actually needs. And with the new research emerging on Vit D it may be that the requirement is even larger than we previously thought (the research says it is - many docs are operating on that belief - when you learn Evidenced Based Medicine technique & critique - its still considered a few notches short of "fact").

But dude - lighten up! :D
and yes I think its odd and ... funny may or may not be the right word - how much advertising, etc is "pseudo-health" and often pretty poorly represented if not flat wrong. lol.

happy april!

Knicks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2007
Status

cetona

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
Status
Medical Student
But if you want to get all technical now - the amount of vitamin D made in your skin with activating effects via sunlight exposure is actually pretty "mini-scule" in relation to the amount the body actually needs. And with the new research emerging on Vit D it may be that the requirement is even larger than we previously thought (the research says it is - many docs are operating on that belief - when you learn Evidenced Based Medicine technique & critique - its still considered a few notches short of "fact").
I don't know if that's the case - we recently had a Vit D lecture where we were told that 10-15 minutes of full-body sunlight exposure will produce 10,000 IU within 24 hours (in caucasians), as compared to dietary intake which provides less than 10% of that (only 100 IU in a glass of milk, for example). I was under the impression that sunlight exposure was the number 1 determinant of Vitamin D status.

Aphtalyfe

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I don't know if that's the case - we recently had a Vit D lecture where we were told that 10-15 minutes of full-body sunlight exposure will produce 10,000 IU within 24 hours (in caucasians), as compared to dietary intake which provides less than 10% of that (only 100 IU in a glass of milk, for example). I was under the impression that sunlight exposure was the number 1 determinant of Vitamin D status.
I was also taught that the primary source of Vit D is sunlight exposure.

OpalOnyx

10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2008
Status
this reminds me of a tanning commercial i heard on the radio - about getting "rejuvenated" and "refreshed" with a year round summer tan.... hello carcinoma.

ar2388

rads resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
same here....:cool:

werd

15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
there's autoregulation that prevents your body from actually making that much if you're in the sun all day. the general statement is that exposed face/neck/forearms/calves in direct sunlight for 15 minutes gives you most of the vitamin D you need in a day. having said that, vitD deficiency is actually a bigger problem than previously realized.

johnnydrama

I'm no Superman
10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status

But won't the extra Thetans from the sunlight counteract any positive effects of the Vitamin D in the rays? :laugh:

ar2388

rads resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
there's autoregulation that prevents your body from actually making that much if you're in the sun all day. the general statement is that exposed face/neck/forearms/calves in direct sunlight for 15 minutes gives you most of the vitamin D you need in a day. having said that, vitD deficiency is actually a bigger problem than previously realized.

how big of a problem is it??

The Poet Sings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
Far from home :-)
Status
Medical Student
i remember when america discovered that there were people in the middle east, it was a huge deal that women wearing burqas had vitamin d deficiencies. do a search for "burqa (or burka) vitamin d" and a whole bunch of stuff comes up. i know this is only tangentially related, sorry.