On medical schools forgiving missed experiences during covid...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Students in some areas were allowed to continue in labs, clinical and volunteering during the pandemic while others faced restrictions that kept much of this closed or difficult to find. Is it true that medical schools will be more forgiving in the upcoming cycle or will it simply be that those in less restricted areas will benefit?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
imma keep it real with you......it's a sucky situation but knowing there is a huge increase in medical school applications, adcoms will simply just have so much kids to choose from. Honestly just focus on what you CAN control and just work on yourself/find creative ways to get those hours in instead of just sitting at home.

Reactions: 1 users
Think about the # of applicants that already have the experience. As the above poster stated focus on what you can do. There is virtual volunteering and foodbanks need help as well. Even if you can't get engaged clinically there are non-clinical opportunities out there. If you've never been in a research lab it might not hurt to try to get into one even if it is restricted they may give you a remote task to do. I was doing data analysis before we got the privilege to resume in-person activities.

Reactions: 3 users
Those of us in California that have been the most locked down will be at an even greater disadvantage then. I hope our California schools don't bring in more OOS applicants that were in the lab and scribing all summer...
Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

In the mean time, you can work on your nonclinical volunteering.

Reactions: 5 users
Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

In the mean time, you can work on your nonclinical volunteering.
What has been determined safe has differed drastically across the nation.

I personally don't think safe necessarily constitutes staying indoors 23 hours of the day. I believe in moving forward through this and I believe there are reasonable ways to do so. California unfortunately doesn't agree with my more moderate stance.

What has been determined safe has differed drastically across the nation.

I personally don't think safe necessarily constitutes staying indoors 23 hours of the day. I believe in moving forward through this and I believe there are reasonable ways to do so. California unfortunately doesn't agree with my more moderate stance.
Nobody is saying that you have to stay under house arrest.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh not at all. My point was simply that there are fewer opportunities in certain states (CA) than in the vast majority of the nation, and that this will be a great disadvantage to Californians and those in states with similar restrictions.

Oh not at all. My point was simply that there are fewer opportunities in certain states (CA) than in the vast majority of the nation, and that this will be a great disadvantage to Californians and those in states with similar restrictions.
Alas, that is the reality. But med schools aren't going anywhere

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I would expect that candidates might have some possible options outside of volunteering. My town EMT squad is severely understaffed and I am sure that they are not unique. I bet that many pre-meds can get EMT certified to help out if not already certified. Also, friends of mine were able to get part time jobs doing scribing and another friend was able to take a job as a Patient Care Technician in a hospital in the midst of the epidemic (no certifications required). These options are out there right now and frankly we are in the middle of a pandemic and need all the help we can get in these areas. Is it additional risk? Of course, but isn't that what service to your community sometimes involves? Regardless of how this impacts your application, this is what it is all about to be a healthcare provider at the end of the day, right?

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Actually, allow me my friend.

PSA: All applicants for the upcoming cycle MUST stay home from now until Aug 31, 2021. This is to protect you from COVID and so I can build my ECs while yours stagnate.

Stay safe, kids.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Sorry to see some rather flippant responses in this thread. OP - the virus is real and the risk is real, however there are probably some opportunities, both virtual and in-person, that you can take advantage of if you are persistent. I'm assuming you are young and healthy and some risk may be acceptable to you in that Covid is unlikely to put you in the hospital. An important question is how would you getting infected impact those around you ? Do you live with parents ? Are you living with or visiting other elderly or compromised individuals ? If so, your options should be more limited so as not to infect these people. If you live on your own, aren't putting others at risk, and any roommates are in a similar state, then you can probably be more aggressive in pursuing opportunities. Good luck!

Sorry to see some rather flippant responses in this thread. OP - the virus is real and the risk is real, however there are probably some opportunities, both virtual and in-person, that you can take advantage of if you are persistent. I'm assuming you are young and healthy and some risk may be acceptable to you in that Covid is unlikely to put you in the hospital. An important question is how would you getting infected impact those around you ? Do you live with parents ? Are you living with or visiting other elderly or compromised individuals ? If so, your options should be more limited so as not to infect these people. If you live on your own, aren't putting others at risk, and any roommates are in a similar state, then you can probably be more aggressive in pursuing opportunities. Good luck!
Yes, I agree with your take. I do live alone, am confident I would recover from covid and I have the option to get tested whenever I want at my University. They're recently requiring once a week. It's simply that CA has brought on another stay at home and opportunities are quite limited

Yes, just remember you can't get a Covid test on Tuesday, get negative result on Wednesday, and then go visit family thinking you are virus free. It take a certain threshold of viral load to be detectable, one that you might be below on test day and above (and thus infectious) a day or two later. At least I believe that's right.

I would pursue some virtual volunteering now and while you are doing that, look for in-person opportunities. It's tough, I get it.