+/- on obtaining DPT from U of St Augustine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpartanDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer insight on some positive or negative aspects of getting your DPT from U of St Augustine versus a more traditional university?

For me, I am debating on going to USA or a university school. I like the fact that USA brings more of the manual therapy philosophy into the curriculum and that PT's coming from USA are professional and well educated in USA's philosophical approach to PT. On the flip side, I've heard from PT's that a downside to USA is that PT's coming from USA aren't necessarily as knowledgeable in some other approaches to PT.

Here are some +/- that I've thought about or gotten feedback from other PT's who I'd spoken with:

+
You will be well prepared and knowledgeable for PT from the Stanley Paris philosophy of PT (manual therapy, clinical based, etc)
It's only 7 semesters in length (vs the normal 8-9 semesters)
Focus on professionalism
Interaction with MOT students
Interaction with classmates from around the country (surprisingly a lot of people from Louisiana)

-
PT learning focuses mainly on the Stanley Paris technique and not enough on other schools of thought and techniques
Cost of program - private school
Only 7 semesters in length - that is a lot of info to be crammed in the brain for that short amount of time (vs the normal 8-9 semesters)
Only 23 weeks of clinicals (vs 32 - 36 weeks)

Thank you for your time and I appreciate your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be interested in the replys to this topic because I've worked with a few MTC credentialed therapists from USA and they definitely have a bias on interventions. One would have to think that CAPTE would regulate at least coverage of best current practices regardless of who formulated the treatment.

For me, I'd search out another school for a more well-rounded experience.

If you have the opportunity to be accepted into a cheaper, state school, then the choice is obvious. I would only recommend going to a private school if you graduate with non-competitive scores and if you are rejected from cheaper alternatives.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am surprised I haven't received more responses. Can anyone else who is or has attended St Augustine or worked with PT's who attended USA offer their insight to my above question?

There are a lot of posts about USA, so I figured people would be able to give specifics about +/-.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi, sorry I did not see this earlier. I'm not sure if it's too late..

I graduated from University of St. Augustine and really enjoyed the program and feel lucky to have gone through their manual therapy curriculum. I cannot speak for any other programs in comparison, but you will get a well rounded education at U.S.A. Though there is an oppurtunity to specialize in manual therapy- we go through PT program just like any other curriculum with a strong foundation in neuromuscular, therex, etc. Manual therapy is just a plus and a great tool! There is nothing that you miss out on by having more manual therapy experience. I cannot aggree with above comments and say that there is any truth to the fact there were other subjects that did not get taught due to an emphasis in manual therapy.

Cons- expensive, but still not as expensive as USC's program.

Well there is my bias, because I thoroughly enjoyed the program and felt very prepared. Let me know if you have any questions..

I have an acquaintence who's going there for the upcoming class, they're coming from the mid-west and seem happy enough about going.

I'm sure the education is solid enough as people pass and become therapists. As you said manual therapy is their thing, they've literally been teaching it for years.

I've always had mixed feelings about the school due to its for-profit classification and nature. They tend to advertise somewhat heavily and cost appropriately enough. Honestly, the schools business model is good. Take some highly desirable warm and sunny locales for students in FL/CA that attract students primarily in their early 20s, medium class sizes, and the tuition and you have have a great way to rake in the dough.

Don't take that too negatively, more my observations about the school overall. I'm glad you enjoyed the program, the program does get a lot of interest on this board. I'm not too surprised.

My one concern with their program is that they are not regionally accredited by any of the higher education boards. National accreditation is OK, but I don't think that they even have that. National is most of your for-profit or trade schools; their degrees are verified but credits will not transfer to the more strictly monitored regionally accredited colleges (any major state or private college/university is regionally accredited). Lacking a regional accreditation could hurt your chances of being seen as a credible professional in certain settings. While USA's PT program is specifically accredited, the college itself is not.
That said, if I don't get into UCF, USA's hybrid online program might be my only chance unless the hubby agrees to move. I hate waiting to hear from them!

Lacking a regional accreditation could hurt your chances of being seen as a credible professional in certain settings. While USA's PT program is specifically accredited, the college itself is not.
That said, if I don't get into UCF, USA's hybrid online program might be my only chance unless the hubby agrees to move. I hate waiting to hear from them!

No one will care (or probably even know) if USA is regionally accredited or not. It is CAPTE accredited, which, if you pass USA's curriculum, will allow you to sit for the NPTE. That's all you need.

I will be applying to schools within this next year and USA is one of them. I have gotten on the APTA web page to browse through schools. Are all of these schools with the links on the APTA site accredited then? And if not, is it only the CAPTE accreditation that is the major one future students need to look for?

I will be applying to schools within this next year and USA is one of them. I have gotten on the APTA web page to browse through schools. Are all of these schools with the links on the APTA site accredited then? And if not, is it only the CAPTE accreditation that is the major one future students need to look for?

Here's a list of all the accredited programs:

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...schools/acc_schools_map.cfm&process=3&type=PT

In most, if not all, states, one needs to graduate from a CAPTE accredited PT school in order to sit for the National Physical Therapy Examination.

Ok, thanks for the help jesspt!