On or Off-Campus (any difference)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ebola95

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a big difference between on or off campus living during medical school? Specifically at CCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

The whole housing issue really depends on you and what you're used to. I am a MS2 at CCOM and I live off campus. I think my class is pretty much split between on and off campus. Most of the older students elect to live off campus because they are used to that life style. Personally, I can't live in a small room. Living on campus obviously has its perks. Easy access to all of the campus facilities etc, but by living off campus it is easier to get away from it all. I don't think being on or off will affect your involvement in any social activities. Most parties, and such, are held in apartments off campus, but living on campus dosen't exclude you from the fun. The biggest down side to living off campus is the traffic. You really have to do some research before choosing a place to live. I live 40 miles from campus, and it take me about 40 min to get there. I have friends that live 15 miles from campus and it can take them a hour to get there. I don't think that it is any cheaper to live on campus, as far as the cost of housing, but you save in gas money. As far as the living arrangements and their effect on school, I think it is what you make of it. If you need isolation, then live off campus. To be honest, a lot of off campus students come back to campus to study in the library. If you have any other questions on CCOM drop me an e-mail.

Don't know about CCOM but I live directly across the street from my school and rarely ever drive my car. I live in an apartment that is technically "off-campus" but about a 1/2 mile closer to the school than the closest "on-campus" rooms. It's extremely convenient and is the primary reason I chose to live where I do. My rent is pretty high but I get a monthly scholarship stipend that covers it all. If you are using financial aid alone it may be difficult to pay for rent and utilities off-campus.