On "Premedism" and the "Premed Way of Life"...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tartheheel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, do you all believe that there should be or there already is something called “The Premed Way of Life” or “Premedism.” This observation stems from the fact that most premeds have a lot in common, and are somewhat distinct from the non-premed crowd in several ways ranging from how long they study, their conception of a “good” grade, their expectations of themselves, and in general, their anxiety levels at any given moment.

Do you believe that you’re already living this distinctly “Premed” way of life or do you reject the notion of this being a distinct “form of life/way of living” in every way, and why? Imagine a cultural historian writing a book about society in the 20-21 century 1000 years from now…would she/he identify “Premedism” as a distinct way of life? If this were actually a kind of cult, a kind of culture, or even a mini-religion variant of what you follow…what would its “10 commandments”/ norms/ instructions be? Imagine if a non-premed were to whole-heartedly be dubbed “Premed” and were to be “Premedized”…what would the procedure (in a rather Baptismesque way) be, and what advice would you give this person who is now going to start following this way of life?

Let me start…

1) Thou shall always study hard and strive to get that A in whatever class you take.
2) Thou shall strive do to blow up the MCAT to get into your dream medical school.
3) Thou shall be involved in as many ECs as possible while improving/maintaining your GPA.
4) Thou shall strive not to waste time on trivial matters and always keep in mind your goal of becoming a doctor.
5) Thou shall try hard not to blow anything up in your orgo lab.
6) Thou shall strive to maintain and form good ties with faculty in the hopes of getting a strong LOR.
7) Thou shall log on to SDN occasionally to make random, somewhat controversial, and humorous threads like this one to spur debate, and encourage satiric/sarcastic creativity amongst your fellow-men and women.
8) PLEASE ADD TO THIS LIST!

Disclaimer: While I do have my flame-suit on, I don’t mean to offend any one in this thread. I am just looking to get some ideas thrown in and to see if you guys believe if there is such a thing as “Premedism” and if you BELIEVE that you’re following it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, do you all believe that there should be or there already is something called “The Premed Way of Life” or “Premedism.”

Yeah, everyone knows nobody works harder in life than a pre-med :laugh:

I wasn't pre-med until after I graduated. I just tried to be a good, well-rounded student.

With regards to
5) Thou shall try hard not to blow anything up in your orgo lab

The person that pulled off the highest grade in my orgo class, and yes, is now finishing up his second year in medical school, dropped a boiling chip into hot ether and managed to set things on fire. Not quite blowing stuff up, because we got the gas turned off right away.