On summer break after finishing two semesters of PT school. Should I review anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiPT92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I had a quick question. So our DPT program has us on a 8 week summer break right now. We finished two semesters so far with our first semester covering anatomy and biomechanics/movement. Pretty much all our core classes are done and In Fall we start our mainPT courses Ortho,neuro, and cardiopulmonary. I was wondering during this time should I brush up on any anatomy to get ready for those main classes, or just enjoy my break? six weeks left for break. Did nothing the first two weeks but relax.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone I had a quick question. So our DPT program has us on a 8 week summer break right now. We finished two semesters so far with our first semester covering anatomy and biomechanics/movement. Pretty much all our core classes are done and In Fall we start our mainPT courses Ortho,neuro, and cardiopulmonary. I was wondering during this time should I brush up on any anatomy to get ready for those main classes, or just enjoy my break? six weeks left for break. Did nothing the first two weeks but relax.
I think you could relax plenty and still study a couple of hours every other day, nothing crazy. I found it frustrating how much I had forgotten every time I started a new class, and I had to scramble to relearn the old stuff to be ready for the new stuff. Just hit the basic highlights because you won't necessarily need that same level of detail again moving forward, especially for anatomy. Neuro, hit up the spinal levels of innervations & blood supply to the brain (mostly circle of willis, where the ventricles are located/what they're near), ortho, also innervations, basic muscle groups & their actions, convex/concave rules...you can also email your profs with the same question and see what they suggest to review.

I'm sure most people will say chill out and enjoy, and that absolutely is not the wrong thing to do, but personally, I'd want to not do a massive brain dump before starting school again. A handful of hours a week shouldn't be stressful & will keep your head in the game.

My cohort is on a forced break, we're in our third year and we were supposed to be in clinic all summer but covid, so I've been studying 4ish hours/day for the boards even though we don't take them until January. And I'm so glad I am because it's amazing how much stuff just sort of slides out of your head. I'm not being super aggressive, I'm spending tons of time relaxing, but I am also staying on top of the information which I find more stress-relieving than if I weren't studying at all and knowing I'll have to do a major cram sesh for the boards come Dec/Jan.

But above all else. absolutely relax! We so seldom get to do that in this program :)

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry about it unless you are bored and have nothing else to do. Your classes will get repetitive enough, so no need to do anything during the break.
If you do want to review something, look at neuro pathways for periferal and central nervous systems - can be useful for neuro and ortho classes. You can look at anatomy for arms, hands, feet, and legs bones for ortho.

Thank you both for the tips!! I’ll def do that!! And aww sorry to hear that kdubz!! But yeah your def setting yourself up well for the board exam!! Hope you can get your last clinical fast!