On the MCAT, can more than one person leave the room at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since no one answered this on the other thread, i'm starting a new thread about it. On the MCAT, can more than one person leave the room at the same time? Also do you have to tell them why you're leaving?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there were any restrictions like that at my testing center. I don't think anyone used the restroom at all, actually. You would have to somehow write your answers somewhere else if you wanted to cheat, but I'm guessing it's possible.

i'm not looking to cheat. i was just curious if you could get up and stretch, walk around, get a drink or eat something , take a pill or something.

Also i wanted to klnow if someone was using the bathroom and you really had to go, did you have to wait for the perosn to return before you were allowed to go?

Psycho Doctor said:
i'm not looking to cheat. i was just curious if you could get up and stretch, walk around, get a drink or eat something , take a pill or something.

Also i wanted to klnow if someone was using the bathroom and you really had to go, did you have to wait for the perosn to return before you were allowed to go?

At my center it was one person at a time. You couldn't go out, stretch, eat, drink, or anything. We had a diabetic in my TPR class who got approved for special testing conditions so he could eat and take his blood sugar if he needed to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:

Do you mean while a section is in progress? Or after?

You should not be allowed to leave during a timed section, even if you are finished.

In between sections, I see no reason why it would be one at a time.

No, i mean during a session. Could two people be out in the bathroom at the same time. I don;t mean they walk out together, but can a second person leave before the first one comes back?

And if you turn your test in and are finished at the end of the last session or before lunch, why can't you leave?

Psycho Doctor said:
No, i mean during a session. Could two people be out in the bathroom at the same time. I don;t mean they walk out together, but can a second person leave before the first one comes back?

And if you turn your test in and are finished at the end of the last session or before lunch, why can't you leave?

When I took it in April...they did not let u leave if u finished early on Verbal (before lunch) until the time was called...just to make sure u don't distract anyone. At the end of the exam...if u finished early, they passed the survey out to u...but u still could not leave until time was called.

No one was permitted to leave at my center. They definitely would not have let us leave to go to the bathroom, which I understand. I heard that someone once had to go so badly that he just went during his MCAT. It's probably just an old MCAT legend, but one never knows...

what??? why is this being debated again? I thought we established we could go to the bathroom during the MCAT. and someone else posted a thread about the kid you're referring to...surely there can't be two of them. ;)

and i'm still waiting for someone to tell me if two people can be in the bathroom at the same time.

"probably not"? "no one should be allowed"? everyone is taking guesses...does anyone really know if there are rules? are the rule at every place different?

i want to know if i can drink my normal cups of coffee which i am dependent on to be alert and think clearly???

The reason you think we're giving you conflicting info is it's not perfectly standardized. Different proctors do things slightly differently. For the bare bones rules, read http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/essentials04.pdf

We were only allowed to leave to go to the bathroom one at a time with permission.

We weren't allowed to leave early from any section, including the one before lunch and the one at the end of the day.

We weren't allowed to eat or drink in the test room (straight from the rules) although I know some folks in other test centers were allowed to drink water.

thanks a lot..and you're right, those are pretty bare bones, and does not discuss bathroom use or anything. what if someone needed to smoke...nerves do that to people, even if i disapprove

Psycho Doctor said:

Yeah, I was pretty sure you weren't. But I always wondered about that possibility so I threw it in there.

I'm a bit confused about this...when I took the test in Aug, I really had to pee during PS, towards the end it became very distracting. I had to go a little bit before the test started, so I asked one of the proctors if it was okay to run to the bathroom before they handed out the tests and she said I had to wait for the break. It was awful, by the end of the 100 minutes I was dying and then I had to wait another 15 minutes while they went through all the booklets! When I talked to other people from the same test center later that day, I was told you could leave to go to the bathroom, even during a section. So is there a rule about this, or does it just vary depending on the proctor? :confused:

Psycho Doctor said:
"probably not"? "no one should be allowed"? everyone is taking guesses...does anyone really know if there are rules? are the rule at every place different?

i want to know if i can drink my normal cups of coffee which i am dependent on to be alert and think clearly???
LOL ur insane
please admit ur a troll
i am about to need a bathroom break from laughing so hard through this thread...ur really serious arnt you aww * ruffles heair *
..how would we know...we are not the aamc..call them and ask?

huh? no i'm neither insane nor a troll. and i'm obviously not the only one asking the same question....in fact someone else asked weeks ago, or else the thought probably never would have entered my mind. we can't seem to get a consistent answer so i guess the answer actually is that it depends on the proctor what you can and can't do, and therefore there's no way to prepare appropriately for anything that day...

i also want to know if i can pop pills during the test....