On the right track? What needs to be done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

workinboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been lingering around here for a while and now that I'm getting into the second half of my sophomore year of undergrad, I need some advice for what else I need to do..

So Far:
- I'm a Human Biology major with Genetics and Spanish minors
- 3.85c GPA (not sure on science, haven't calculated)
- In both departmental honors as well as university honors programs at my school
- Tutoring organic chemistry starting this semester for the university tutorial center
- approximately 36 hours of volunteering at a hospital (which i absolutely hated and will never do again)
- Only about 20 hours of shadowing one orthopaedic surgeon at his practice
- Started my own organization in high school and college dedicated to raising money for nonprofit organizations (in the process of expanding and becoming a recognized nonprofit - have raised over $5,000 for organizations so far)

Going to do:
- Shadow the ortho surgeon more as well as a doctors at a family practice and possibly a neurosurgeon (hoping for OR time, but new rules and limitations may hinder this)
- Volunteer at Saturday clinics and and volunteer at a family practice "helping out" (does this count as clinical as well?)
- Currently have no research, but I'm trying to get into a lab on campus (honors program requires me to do own research in the lab, so I'm not just a labrat)

Extra, Extra Curriculars:
- Part-time employed at a law office since Feb of 2008 as an office assistant
- Worked at a roller skating rink for 4 years
- Currently teach roller skating and hockey on Friday afternoons
- starting my own technology blog for college students
- On a roller skating team
- bunch of other stuffs

What do you guys recommend I do as an effort to build my application and resume? What am I doing right and what am I doing wrong? I appreciate any and all help!

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

the honors things not so important (doesn't matter). it's good to see though you've maintained a high GPA and balanced that with part time work. i think it's also really interesting that you're so involved in roller skating and you should try to stay involved in it as long as you enjoy it and can make time for it.

right now i would work on getting in research and clinical experience which is very weak. having a list is nice but unfortunately you can't congratulate yourself on things you haven't done yet. of course, you know this, but I'm really getting at the fact that you really don't know what opportunities you'll actually get. continue to be aggressive in this respect until you have something tangible. don't just assume you'll get any of those positions.

What do you guys recommend I do as an effort to build my application and resume? What am I doing right and what am I doing wrong? I appreciate any and all help!
You have 1.5 years before the traditional application time, so you shold have no trouble getting in a decent amount of clinical experience at the rate of 3-4 hours per week while school is in session. Yes, working with patients in a private practice counts as clinical experience, but filing and doing bookkeeping in a back office does not. About 150 hours is average.

For shadowing, you have plans for good variety. I'd suggest aiming for 60-80 hours total. While you do have an alruistic community-oriented volunteer activity, adcomms would also like to see some regular, hands-on, noncampus community service that you care about, like Big Brother/Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity, Meals on Wheels, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, womens shelter, tutoring kids after school or adults in ESL, etc.

Besides that, get in the planned research, keep your GPA high, score well on the MCAT, and strategize to get excellent LORs from two science teachers and one nonscience, and the research mentor as well, at a minimum.

Members don't see this ad :)
the honors things not so important (doesn't matter). it's good to see though you've maintained a high GPA and balanced that with part time work. i think it's also really interesting that you're so involved in roller skating and you should try to stay involved in it as long as you enjoy it and can make time for it.

right now i would work on getting in research and clinical experience which is very weak. having a list is nice but unfortunately you can't congratulate yourself on things you haven't done yet. of course, you know this, but I'm really getting at the fact that you really don't know what opportunities you'll actually get. continue to be aggressive in this respect until you have something tangible. don't just assume you'll get any of those positions.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. As far as the shadowing and clinical work I mentioned in my original post, unless something goes downhill, I believe that it will all work out. I've been in contact with a number of physicians who are involved in the family practice as well as the clinics. It's just a matter of "plugging me in" and actually starting which I sent out a few emails about this afternoon. The only thing not in stone is the research. I'm going to make a more aggressive attempt to get a research position on campus this semester to satisfy this.

You have 1.5 years before the traditional application time, so you shold have no trouble getting in a decent amount of clinical experience at the rate of 3-4 hours per week while school is in session. Yes, working with patients in a private practice counts as clinical experience, but filing and doing bookkeeping in a back office does not. About 150 hours is average.

For shadowing, you have plans for good variety. I'd suggest aiming for 60-80 hours total. While you do have an alruistic community-oriented volunteer activity, adcomms would also like to see some regular, hands-on, noncampus community service that you care about, like Big Brother/Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity, Meals on Wheels, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, womens shelter, tutoring kids after school or adults in ESL, etc.

Besides that, get in the planned research, keep your GPA high, score well on the MCAT, and strategize to get excellent LORs from two science teachers and one nonscience, and the research mentor as well, at a minimum.

Thanks again for the reassurance of the amount of time I have left :p I'm always freaking out that I'm running out of time. I'm actually thinking about taking another year since I'm trying to do so much. I also have a huge interest in Psychology as well, so I'd like to take a few classes pertaining to that. Does the organization I started count as community service, even though it's now a university organization as well? I've helped raise a lot of money for the Autism Society of NC and for the Save The Ta-Tas Foundation.

Thanks again!

Does the organization I started count as community service, even though it's now a university organization as well? I've helped raise a lot of money for the Autism Society of NC and for the Save The Ta-Tas Foundation.
Absolutely, though personally, I'd list it under Leadership, making the community service component evident from the description and name you give it.

Ah, gotcha. I understand. Thanks for the input! So I need to find a local organization and help out with them on the weekends and stuff.