JBDoctor35

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey SDN,

I just want to know if I'm lacking in any areas or if I can strengthen my application for med school while I still have time. I'm a sophomore in college. Even though I'm a sophomore, I will be in undergrad for 5 years, so technically year 2/5. Anyways, I'm a computer engineering major who is also doing premed. Here are some of my stats:

GPA: 4.0/4.0
Volunteer: 80 hours at a local hospital, 75 hours at a local free clinic (really great patient interaction :)!)
Shadowing: 50 hours w/ a neurosurgeon, 30 hours w/ a podiatrist, 35 hours w/ a orthopedic surgeon
EC's: member of premed club, member of engineering club, tutor for campus tutoring service, engineering ambassador for potential students, a few more small things but nothing major...

So, how am I doing for year 2/5? Could I improve on anything? Should I keep doing what I'm doing? I would love any advice I could get! Thanks in advance!

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
Keep on doing what you are doing it sounds like you are doing great!

Jun 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Look into research if that's something that interest you.

Dec 29, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Just want to add that podiatrists aren't MDs, but you look great so far!

Reactions: Omppu27

Omppu27

El Tiburon
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2011
Pawnee, Indiana
Status
Medical Student
Just want to add that podiatrists aren't MDs, but you look great so far!
I think getting at least some research in there would be a plus. Try to also get some non medical volunteering as well (maybe you're doing this through your student Orgs?). Are you volunteering at both the hospital and free clinic right now? If so, maybe drop one so you can focus more time on something else (school, research, non medical volunteering, hobbie/living life). I don't know about you, but i found free clinic volunteering much more beneficial.

Great White Buffalo

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hey SDN,

I just want to know if I'm lacking in any areas or if I can strengthen my application for med school while I still have time. I'm a sophomore in college. Even though I'm a sophomore, I will be in undergrad for 5 years, so technically year 2/5. Anyways, I'm a computer engineering major who is also doing premed. Here are some of my stats:

GPA: 4.0/4.0
Volunteer: 80 hours at a local hospital, 75 hours at a local free clinic (really great patient interaction :)!)
Shadowing: 50 hours w/ a neurosurgeon, 30 hours w/ a podiatrist, 35 hours w/ a orthopedic surgeon
EC's: member of premed club, member of engineering club, tutor for campus tutoring service, engineering ambassador for potential students, a few more small things but nothing major...

So, how am I doing for year 2/5? Could I improve on anything? Should I keep doing what I'm doing? I would love any advice I could get! Thanks in advance!
I was a CS major, need to get your story on why CS, then medicine. I did a bridging the clinical-digital divide. Did a lot of programming for clinical projects, which was of interest to some schools. If you get a good story, makes the personal statement flow well, and makes you stand out among the more traditional Science majors. As other mentioned, use your time as an upperclassman to get on some research project (it was a requirement at my U, and I had another project where I was a paid programmer for a few years). Usually lots of opportunities to get in some programming on clinical research projects if you are at a school with a medical school or a large science program. Beef up that section, and you'll have a killer application.

I did my chem/bio pre reqs early, then concentrated on my CS major. I found the math for computer science really helped with the PS section of the MCAT. Verbal was my killer. Try keeping up your other non major reading. Figure out when you are going to take the MCAT, as a non-science major, that will take a month or so to brush up on stuff you haven't seen for a couple of years. Good Luck.