On the topic of calling NPs 'doctor'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know a nurse with the last name Doctor. Now THAT would be confusing. "Hello, I am nurse Doctor," or "Hello, I'm Dr. Doctor, your nurse..." :D

If anyone ever introduces themselves to me as "Dr. Doctor," I'm immediately coming back with, "Gimme the news...I've got a bad case of loving you." :p

Members don't see this ad.

Are you saying the public isn't confused about the work of an optometrist vs. opthamologist and a psychologist vs. a psychiatrist?

Clearly delineated to you, but not the public. The general public does not know the difference between a neuropsychologist vs. a neuropsychiatrist.

The above examples are exactly why it is important to educate the patient about the differences. Often when a patient hears/sees anything with "psych" in it, they think "oh, they want to see if I'm crazy." This is why I take the opportunity to explain to them and their spouse/family what I do, my role on the team, etc. I'd guess 98% of my patients (all in-patient, non-psych) require out-patient neuropsych follow-up, so I want them to understand why they are seeing neuropsych now and then again as an out-patient.

So you are OK with DNP using "doctor" as long as that is followed by, "...a nurse practitioner?"

I think the DNP is a sham degree. If the degree required the same rigor as a Ph.D., AND it provided "advanced clinical training" like most programs boast but don't deliver....then I'd be more okay with the presence of the DNP. As it stands now, DNP programs barely have enough credits to qualify as a Masters degree. Add in the lack of true "advanced clinical training", and the total training value is not even remotely comparable to doctoral level training.

Often when a patient hears/sees anything with "psych" in it, they think "oh, they want to see if I'm crazy."

You mean they don't? :D

I think the DNP is a sham degree. If the degree required the same rigor as a Ph.D., AND it provided "advanced clinical training" like most programs boast but don't deliver....then I'd be more okay with the presence of the DNP. As it stands now, DNP programs barely have enough credits to qualify as a Masters degree. Add in the lack of true "advanced clinical training", and the total training value is not even remotely comparable to doctoral level training.

:thumbup: Totally agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Additionally, those other doctoral level professions aren't provide interventions that could easily be confused with similar duties of a physician. If a person walks into an examination room and introduces themselves as Dr. Smith, and then proceeds to do a physical examination, check vitals, etc....that would be confusing, no? An optometrist isn't going to exam your wound, and a pharmacist isn't going to check your reflexes.

Even with clearly delineated functions as a neuropsychologist, I still introduce myself as, "Dr. T4C, I'm your neuropsychologist. I'm here to evaluate....etc" I rather enjoy my job and don't want to be confused with being a medical person, lest I be asked to examine a pus-filled sore or palpate an odd looking growth. No thank you...I'll leave all of that fun examination to the medical folks. :laugh:

True. No one will see a psychologist walking around in a lab coat or scrubs with a stethoscope hanging around their neck asking questions about that rash they have or doing a physical exam. Psychologists have been working in the medical arena doing behavioral medicine and using the title doctor for decades without any problems. This is primarily because the role of the psychologist is so distinct from medical folks. The day anyone sees me handling medical equipment is the day they need to run away fast. Besides who would want to actually *touch* people or deal with body fluids. I'd much rather shrink heads from a safe distance :).

Many of the master's level NP degree programs I have seen are only about 45 graduate hours. That's an awfully short program even for people who are BSN's. Even in the psych field the MSW or M.S. in psychology is about 55-60 graduate hours. I tend to agree that the DNP is really not a doctoral degree in any way comparable to a Ph.D. I am all for NP's expanding their scope of practice but with appropriate training and education. The educational programs seem too abbreviated.

The above examples are exactly why it is important to educate the patient about the differences. Often when a patient hears/sees anything with "psych" in it, they think "oh, they want to see if I'm crazy." This is why I take the opportunity to explain to them and their spouse/family what I do, my role on the team, etc. I'd guess 98% of my patients (all in-patient, non-psych) require out-patient neuropsych follow-up, so I want them to understand why they are seeing neuropsych now and then again as an out-patient.

True. No one will see a psychologist walking around in a lab coat or scrubs with a stethoscope hanging around their neck asking questions about that rash they have or doing a physical exam. Psychologists have been working in the medical arena doing behavioral medicine and using the title doctor for decades without any problems. This is primarily because the role of the psychologist is so distinct from medical folks. The day anyone sees me handling medical equipment is the day they need to run away fast. Besides who would want to actually *touch* people or deal with body fluids. I'd much rather shrink heads from a safe distance :).

i totally agree with this post

I think they should change the name of the degree

from DNP to NPD:thumbup:. This should fit the profile of the whole argument :rolleyes:

I think they should change the name of the degree

from DNP to NPD:thumbup:. This should fit the profile of the whole argument :rolleyes:

Nah, the concept should be dropped altogether.

Nah, the concept should be dropped altogether.

JWK, you're really good at "drive-by" posting on this topic, but have yet to contribute anything of substance to the conversation. It's obvious that you are opposed to DNP's being called doctor, so please, tell me, where do you stand on optometrists and psychologist being called doctor?

Nice signature by the way - we do agree on that. :)

JWK, you're really good at "drive-by" posting on this topic, but have yet to contribute anything of substance to the conversation. It's obvious that you are opposed to DNP's being called doctor, so please, tell me, where do you stand on optometrists and psychologist being called doctor?

Nice signature by the way - we do agree on that. :)

I'll field this one.

OD school and psychology school both add considerable clinical knowledge/skills to the students. The DNP does not.

Is the DNP considered a mid level provider?
yes. all pa's and np's regardless of degree are still midlevel providers.
I am currently in the early stages of obtaining an academic doctorate. I am not under any illusions that I can call myself "Dr." in a clinical setting when I am done with the program.

yes. all pa's and np's regardless of degree are still midlevel providers.
I am currently in the early stages of obtaining an academic doctorate. I am not under any illusions that I can call myself "Dr." in a clinical setting when I am done with the program.

So it might be that psychologists and ODs are not mid level providers, hence it is accepted that they use the title of doctor, but it it is a breach when a mid level provider does so?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll field this one.

OD school and psychology school both add considerable clinical knowledge/skills to the students. The DNP does not.

I assume you are talking about a post-master's DNP. For a BSN, all advanced clinical knowledge is acquired during the DNP.

So it might be that psychologists and ODs are not mid level providers, hence it is accepted that they use the title of doctor, but it it is a breach when a mid level provider does so?

Whether they are called/considered "mid-level" or not is not relevant. They aren't as an advanced provider as is a psychiatrist and ophthalmologist are respectively.

Whether they are called/considered "mid-level" or not is not relevant. They aren't as an advanced provider as is a psychiatrist and ophthalmologist are respectively.

I take exception with this comment. A doctorate, whether it be a Ph.D., MD, JD, etc....is supposed to represent the highest level of training within the speciality. With that in mind, I don't think a DNP meets the same standards nor rigor of other doctoral training programs. There already exists a Ph.D. in nursing, though this is meant as an academic degree, and not a clinical one. The DNP proports to be a clinical degree, but most any curriculum is riddled with fluff/filler courses that are more akin to something you'd find in an MPH/MPA/similar. There is also not a required advanced clinical training to graduate with the degree, which is hard to fathom consider it was proposed as a clinical degree.

I take exception with this comment. A doctorate, whether it be a Ph.D., MD, JD, etc....is supposed to represent the highest level of training within the speciality..

False. The master's (LLM) is the highest degree in law, the PhD is the highest degree in medicine, and the PhD is the highest degree in pharmacy, despite the existence of the JD, MD and PharmD, respectively. The PhD and DNP in nursing are intended to be different, and indeed the foci in each are indeed different.

With that in mind, I don't think a DNP meets the same standards nor rigor of other doctoral training programs. There already exists a Ph.D. in nursing, though this is meant as an academic degree, and not a clinical one.

Whether you think the degree is rigorous or not is not relevant. I personally don't think it is any more rigorous than the MSN, but my opinion on the rigor is not relevant either. Unless you are suggesting that the title "doctor" only belongs to rigorous graduate degrees, in which case we should start calling those with an MS in electrical engineering "doctor" and refusing to call those with a PhD in sociology "doctor."

The DNP proports to be a clinical degree, but most any curriculum is riddled with fluff/filler courses that are more akin to something you'd find in an MPH/MPA/similar.

Yeah, so go tell your MPA or MPH buddies their degree is fluff and filler.

A DBA is all business courses, and graduates are called "doctor." The fact is, a DNP is a doctorate degree whether you personally approve of the content or not. Regional and federal accrediting bodies have approved it as a doctorate degree - all without your input. :)

There is also not a required advanced clinical training to graduate with the degree, which is hard to fathom consider it was proposed as a clinical degree.

Have no clue what you are talking about. If one is a BSN, ALL advanced clinical training is done during the DNP. If one is an MSN, 500-700+ additional clinical training hours are required. So when you say there is no, "required advanced clinical training to graduate with the degree," I have to assume ignorance on your part.

FWIW, I'm not here to defend the DNP, but you need to at least get your facts straight. Furthermore, I do not see how the content of the degree is relevant to the use of the title "doctor," which is what this thread is about. Every doctorate contains "fluff" courses, including the DO and MD. In the PharmD discussion thread I posted earlier, some said that the pharmacy degree was taken from a bachelor's to a doctorate by adding "fluff" classes. Same could be argued about the JD, which also was once only a bachelor's. As for the MD, physicians only earn a bachelor's in some European countries, yet have the same practice privileges.

Last edited:

Ha. I'm not remotely interested in opening this can of worms. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, though you might wish to make it a bit better informed.

Ha. I'm not remotely interested in opening this can of worms. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, though you might wish to make it a bit better informed.

Scope of practice. You can't write scripts or order ECT.

False. The master's (LLM) is the highest degree in law, the PhD is the highest degree in medicine, and the PhD is the highest degree in pharmacy, despite the existence of the JD, MD and PharmD, respectively. The PhD and DNP in nursing are intended to be different, and indeed the foci in each are indeed different.

:rolleyes:

The J.D. is the highest practice degree offered in law. The LLM is a post-doc degree. If you want to assert that the LLM trumps that, fine. However, an S.J.D. is recognized as the highest post-grad degree within law.

You__ve_been_Lawyered_by_DenaliWolf.jpg

Yeah, so go tell your MPA or MPH buddies their degree is fluff and filler.

I said, "[the DNP is] more akin to something you'd find in an MPH/MPA/similar." I implied that the classes were similar to something you'd find in an MPH/MPA program, which are not clinical degrees. Given that the DNP is being called a CLINICAL degree in NURSING, those classes are not appropriate. Imagine you took a pottery class as part of an applied physics Ph.D., one has little to nothing to do with the other. Can you stretch the syllabus and try and make it apply, maybe...but that doesn't mean it belongs in the curriculum.

The rest of your post references DNP Fuzzy Math/Logic. If you want some more DNP Fuzzy Math, check out the credit requirements for MS-->DNP at some of the 'top' DNP programs:

Columbia: 40 credit hours
Duke: 34-41 credit hours
USC: 33 credit hours

Uhm....how the heck does 30-something credits equal doctoral training?

Last edited:
Scope of practice. You can't write scripts or order ECT.

Quantitative thinker, eh? Psychiatrists can't do neuropsych batteries. Neuropsychologists can't prescribe. For example.
Apples and oranges.
I'm not getting into this. There are numerous threads on this board debating this ad nauseam; we don't need another discussion about whose such and such is bigger and better.

Last edited by a moderator:
False. The master's (LLM) is the highest degree in law, the PhD is the highest degree in medicine, and the PhD is the highest degree in pharmacy, despite the existence of the JD, MD and PharmD, respectively.

I'm not sure what you mean by "highest degree" but a PharmD is required to become a licensed pharmacist. You cannot practice pharmacy with just a PhD, so I don't think a PharmD and a PhD could be ranked, since they are two entirely different things.

I'm not sure what you mean by "highest degree" but a PharmD is required to become a licensed pharmacist. You cannot practice pharmacy with just a PhD, so I don't think a PharmD and a PhD could be ranked, since they are two entirely different things.

I'm guessing y'all mean a PhD in Pharmacology, not Pharmacy.

I wouldn't waste my breath arguing with someone about whether DNP can call themselves "doctor".

STOP TRAINING THEM. Let's see how far they go. If your brand new DNP can't perform as a "doctor" on day 1, fire her.

Physicians only hurt themselves and their profession by training NP's and CRNA's.

i wouldn't waste my breath arguing with someone about whether dnp can call themselves "doctor".

Stop training them. Let's see how far they go. If your brand new dnp can't perform as a "doctor" on day 1, fire her.

physicians only hurt themselves and their profession by training np's and crna's.

+1

Have no clue what you are talking about. If one is a BSN, ALL advanced clinical training is done during the DNP. If one is an MSN, 500-700+ additional clinical training hours are required. So when you say there is no, "required advanced clinical training to graduate with the degree," I have to assume ignorance on your part.

FWIW, I'm not here to defend the DNP, but you need to at least get your facts straight. Furthermore, I do not see how the content of the degree is relevant to the use of the title "doctor," which is what this thread is about. Every doctorate contains "fluff" courses, including the DO and MD. In the PharmD discussion thread I posted earlier, some said that the pharmacy degree was taken from a bachelor's to a doctorate by adding "fluff" classes. Same could be argued about the JD, which also was once only a bachelor's. As for the MD, physicians only earn a bachelor's in some European countries, yet have the same practice privileges.

500-700 additional clinical hours. What a joke. That means I did 20% of the required DNP clinical hours THIS WEEK!

I'm a new grad MSN-FNP (I've had my first job for 2 months now) and I am in school (Duke) for a DNP. FWIW, I really like the course work, and I'm learning a lot. Just as point of fact, the DNP will take me 3 years, not 1, and there is a year of course work titled Evidence Based Practice I & II. We are required to have 1000 hours of residency. It is not entirely devoid of clinical content. So while it isn't comparable to medical school, I think it is best to accurately reflect what it is and is not, lol. And it is not akin to correspondence school via Sally Struthers. ;) I am sure DNP education across the board could be more comprehensive, but right now it is the terminal degree in my field and the best education I can obtain. I think it will definitely make me a better NP, but it will not make me a physician. Fortunately, that was never my goal. Being the best NP I can be is the goal, and I'm very pleased with my education so far.

We all use first names amongst ourselves at my workplace, but when I talk to patients about one of the physicians, I refer to them as Dr. So and So. When the physicians talk to patients or staff about me, they refer to me as "Nurse Practitioner Lastname." The physicians do not use my first name (or the other NP's) with patients (although I do) even though they do use their own first names with patients. They are very respectful and supportive of my DNP goals, so much so in fact, that they are paying for it, and the (MD-PhD) medical director of the practice is sitting on my doctoral committee. All 3 physicians in my clinic have been extraordinarily helpful and I'm grateful. The other NP just says "Better you than me!"

I suspect when I finish, they will still refer to me as "Nurse Practitioner Lastname," and I'll still call myself Chilly to patients. I don't really care. If I ever go into business for myself (I live in a state with independent NP practice rights) I doubt I'd change that.

I have no argument here, just offering the perspective of a NP pursuing a DNP degree, since as far as I can tell, no one else in this thread is actually in a DNP program (my apologies if I am mistaken). If you aren't interested in my lived experience of the DNP, lol, feel free to disregard my musings.

And you can call my Chilly. All the best people do. ;)

Last edited:
I'm a new grad MSN-FNP (I've had my first job for 2 months now) and I am in school (Duke) for a DNP. FWIW, I really like the course work, and I'm learning a lot. Just as point of fact, the DNP will take me 3 years, not 1, and there is a year of course work titled Evidence Based Practice I & II. We are required to have 1000 hours of residency. It is not entirely devoid of clinical content. So while it isn't comparable to medical school, I think it is best to accurately reflect what it is and is not, lol. And it is not akin to correspondence school via Sally Struthers. ;) I am sure DNP education across the board could be more comprehensive, but right now it is the terminal degree in my field and the best education I can obtain. I think it will definitely make me a better NP, but it will not make me a physician. Fortunately, that was never my goal. Being the best NP I can be is the goal, and I'm very pleased with my education so far.
The problem with DNP education is there are absolutely zero standards - no standard curriculum, no standard body of knowledge, no required skills, no standardized exam.

I think that is a universal problem in Nursing and not unique to DNP studies, lol.

An NP can order ECT? Seriously? And who does it? An MD. :laugh:

You might want to read before posting. My point was that the psychiatrist is a more advanced practitioner than a psychologist, e.g. it takes and MD to order the ECT. No one ever said and NP can order or perform an ECT.

There are PhD's that require a PharmD (or MS is some cases) to be admitted. I've yet to see a PharmD that requires a PhD for entry, hence my assertion that the PhD is the higher degree.

I wouldn't waste my breath arguing with someone about whether DNP can call themselves "doctor".

You've spent plenty of time doing just that. Look at your own signature.

If your brand new DNP can't perform as a "doctor" on day 1, fire her.

1) So your MD on day one CAN perform as a "doctor?" What's the point of residency then?

2) Fire HER? Your hostility makes more sense now.

3) You are confusing "doctor" and "physician."

:Uhm....how the heck does 30-something credits equal doctoral training?

Let's get back to the point. Assume the DNP was rigorous enough to meet with your approval. Would you then be OK with DNP's using the title "doctor" in a clinical setting?

You might want to read before posting. My point was that the psychiatrist is a more advanced practitioner than a psychologist, e.g. it takes and MD to order the ECT. No one ever said and NP can order or perform an ECT.

Your quantification of "more advanced practitioner" is asinine. Would an astrophysicist Ph.D. be a "more advanced practitioner" because he can order a trial on the LHC and an MD cannot? I guess I can't expect much from a student, as you are still fighting windmills and claiming victory. You should get some experience in the real world as a licensed provider and then come back and have this discussion.

Let's get back to the point. Assume the DNP was rigorous enough to meet with your approval. Would you then be OK with DNP's using the title "doctor" in a clinical setting?

Only if they explicitly state their title and what they are doing.

Last edited:

I think the title "doctor" would be fine f the NP identified themselves as an NP and the training was actually doctoral level. By doctoral level I mean 4-5 years of full time academic work of about 120 hours of graduate coursework. The curriculum would have core competencies, be coherent, sequential and cumulative in nature and of increasing clinical and theoretical sophistication across time. Clinical training would have to involve practicum placements aka clerkship involving at least 2000 hours of predoctoral training, another 2000 hours of full time training during a year long predoctoral internship. This would then have to be followed by 2000 hours of postdoctoral training before licensure. Clinical training should be sequential and cumulative in nature with increasing sophistication across the sequence.

Then throw in 1000-2000 hours of predoctoral research experience including a master's thesis and a full academic dissertation. I favor research training because the process of scientific research not only teaches the skills required to read and evaluate journals or do research, but also fosters the kinds of cognition that form the intellectual core of clinical skills. The capacity to do research involves asking an empirical testable question, reading the scientific literature, forming hypotheses and coming to testable conclusions after a rational investigation using the scientific method. If you are going to be practicing as an independent health care provider, this is critical and formal research training can be invaluable. In my opinion the process of research informs the process of clinical decision making, at least in psychology it fosters crossover in skill sets.

The training sequence noted above is the *bare minimum* that clinical psychologists get in their doctoral training. I would not give advanced standing to anyone with an MSN. By its very nature doctoral training is at a higher level than master's level training. I entered my Ph.D. program with a 60 credit hour M.S. degree in clinical psychology and 1400 hours of practicum. None of it transferred. Why?? Doctoral level work is (and should be) on a higher level than master's level work. So new DNP students with an MSN degree would have to complete the entire curriculum because as a quality control measure, training must be sequential, cumulative and integrated so one level of training prepares you for the next, which prepares you for the next etc ... If DNP training approximates the amount of training mentioned above, then I'd say they were doctoral-level professionals.

Medicine does not own the term "doctor" but every professional needs to be clear about their profession and roles "Hi I am Dr. Neuropsych2be a clinical psychologist and I will be working with you to help you ..." Conversely I am adamant about psychologists using the title "Dr." in clinical settings because both patients and other professionals such as physicians and nurses need to know that they are dealing with a person trained at the highest level and given the most advanced degree our universities can bestow. The professionals and clients I am involved with need to know that I am not some generic "counselor" or "social worker" or "mental health worker" but a Ph.D. level professional. However, it is equally clear that professional role boundaries should be strongly maintained. I won't be wandering around in a lab coat or scrubs and handling medical equipment. God forbid. The day anyone sees me with a scalpel in hand or a stethoscope around my neck is the day they need to run as far and as fast as they can because death will soon follow. All of us should be proud of the professions we have chosen and choose to advocate for our respective roles in promoting good science-based patient care. Nurses should be very proud of their roles because they are a very honorable profession. I am all for them expanding their clinical roles and responsibilities, including the title Dr as long as their academic and clinical training is commensurate with that role and title.

Last edited:
OK, FC, I'll bite a little, but we are off-topic. BSN nurses take classes in pharmacology/pharmacokinetics/pharmacotherapeutics, pathophysiology, health/physical assessment, medical-surgical nursing, critical care nursing, obstetric nursing, pediatric nursing, geriatric nursing, psychiatric nursing, public health nursing/epidemiology. In each of the courses I just described ending in "nursing," relevant anatomy/physiology, pathophysiology, medical/surgical treatments, and pharmacology are integrated heavily into the curriculum. Each also have a corresponding clinical rotation requirement in each of the specified areas.

Are you still willing to say that none of what I just described is relevant to the NP diagnosing and prescribing (and thus not relevant for inclusion in the amount of time it takes to get a DNP)?

While I am only at the start of my ADN, I have read a lot of opinions on the matter both here and on allnurses.com and am very against DNPs using the "doctor" title in the clinical setting. I know we get all of these topics in nursing school, but the level is VERY superficial. Every time we've been told we're having a science or math lecture, the very beginning of the lecture we are told the information will be simplified or we only need to know the general idea. I hardly think that makes the pathophysiology, med-surg, pharmacology, etc, representative of someone/a job fuction worthy of the title "doctor" in a setting in which "doctor" refers to the person in the setting with the most training or deepest level of knowledge. Maybe a DNP represents the most training/knowledge among a group of nurses, but definitely not in a clinical setting.

Lets also not forget that nurses and doctors follow different models/have different scopes of practice, so what you get in "pediatric/geriatric/psychiatric/etc nursing" classes won't be the same as what an MD gets in "pediatric/geriatric/psychiatric/etc medicine" (hypothetical course titles...not sure what the exact MS titles would be). And in terms of diagnosing, nursing diagnoses are not medical diagnoses. So allowing nurses to practice independently, have more prescribing power, etc, just sounds like a bad idea to me.

No one really gives a flying f... what the degree is called and what the correct title of the degree is. Except the people who have it and want to use it to pretend they are something more.

In a medical setting: They aren't doctors. Thus, I feel referring to it is deceitful and wrong. But of course (roll eyes)... It's right, because the degree gave them the title

I agree with this 100%. DNPs are not doctors. Just like everything else I've experienced thus far in my nursing program, it's semantics, not what is actually there. Which is a waste of time. Stop arguing about your stupid title and instead figure out a way to improve nursing education (which, I'm sorry, is a joke).

There are a few issues with the whole DNP being called doctor thing:

1) The title doctor should be given to the people who are the expert of their field. For instance, a dentist is the expert in the mouth. A pharmacist is an expert in the field of pharmacodynamics/kinetics. An MD/DO is an expert in the internal workings of the body. A DNP tries to do the same job as an MD however they have a fraction of the training. Therefore they are not the expert in the field and do not deserve to be called doctor.

To expand upon this, an optometrist in a clinical setting with a ophthalmologist probably shouldn't be called doctor either.

2) The DNP is not an improvement in the clinical education compared to the masters. The added classes are MPH classes and a capstone project, not clinical ones. They take vastly more credit hours on healthcare leadership and research than pharm or path. When you look at the courses, it should not be a doctorate at all.

3) Many claim similar education between DNP and MD however there are almost four times as many basic science credit hours and between 17 and 34 times as many clinical hours in training. The assertion that a nurse has previous clinical exposure that makes up for this is a logical fallacy. They were following orders, for the most part, not making clinical decisions and not being the leader of the team. Nursing diagnosis is definitely not the same thing as medical diagnosis.

So to summarize
1) The title doctor should only be for experts in the field. Noctoring is not fundamentally different from being a medical doctor.
2) DNP is not an improvement upon the masters. It shouldn't be a doctorate at all.
3) There is a vast chasm between what a true doctor learns and what a DNP does

Regarding #1, DNPs could only be considered "experts" at being nurses. I see no problem with DNPs using the doctor title in an educational setting, but DEFINITELY not a clinical setting. DNPs are NOT the experts in clinical settings.

Regarding #2, that is a very good way of phrasing it. A few DNP program directors of a university (I'm not saying which for personal privacy) came to my school to advertise their RN-BSN-MSN online program. Not only did the coursework look to be a joke, but they basically said as long as students turned something in, the quality of their work didn't matter. They WOULD pass and WOULD get their degrees. These are the people made eligible to be DNPs, who are fighting to be called doctor, and who want more responsibility/power in the clinical setting? I don't think so. This is the main reason I have decided to do everything in my power to avoid seeing NPs at my PCP anymore. I'll respect nurses, regardless of their degree level, as nurses. I will DEFINITELY push for nursing education reform (like I said, school is a joke) and firmly stand by educational opportunities. I definitely WILL NOT want a nurse medically diagnosing/prescribing me medicine based on my current understand/experiences.

DNPs are not doctors. Nurses need to get over themselves. I hear my professor griping all the time about doctors being on power trips, but because they blatantly treat their position as educators a position of power (and exploit this "power"), I can't take them in any way seriously.

We all use first names amongst ourselves at my workplace, but when I talk to patients about one of the physicians, I refer to them as Dr. So and So. When the physicians talk to patients or staff about me, they refer to me as "Nurse Practitioner Lastname." The physicians do not use my first name (or the other NP's) with patients (although I do) even though they do use their own first names with patients. They are very respectful and supportive of my DNP goals, so much so in fact, that they are paying for it, and the (MD-PhD) medical director of the practice is sitting on my doctoral committee. All 3 physicians in my clinic have been extraordinarily helpful and I'm grateful. The other NP just says "Better you than me!"

I suspect when I finish, they will still refer to me as "Nurse Practitioner Lastname," and I'll still call myself Chilly to patients. I don't really care. If I ever go into business for myself (I live in a state with independent NP practice rights) I doubt I'd change that.

I have no argument here, just offering the perspective of a NP pursuing a DNP degree, since as far as I can tell, no one else in this thread is actually in a DNP program (my apologies if I am mistaken). If you aren't interested in my lived experience of the DNP, lol, feel free to disregard my musings.

And you can call my Chilly. All the best people do. ;)

It is disturbing to see that nurse practioners now have the ability to practice independently. I would like to know how this sort of practioner receives an appropriate evaluation of their clinical skills, prior to setting off into the world to independently manage patients.

WTF ?

Looking at the extent of training, how can health care licensing bodies expect these people to manage conditions independently ? With the amount of training described, this is very dangerous, and just outright stupid. I know I was nowhere near ready to treat patients by myself until the end of residency, and this was after 6 years of extensive training.

I would love to get one of these Noctors in the hot seat in my office, just for 15 minutes.

I am surprised that this is news to you Ghost Dog, as it is not a recent development. Nurse Practitioners have had autonomous practice in 20+ states since at least the mid 90s. Perhaps it simply gets more press these days because of the attention to primary care issues and universal coverage, etc.?

I just happen to live in a state that does support independent NP practice, but it isn't why we live here. The physicians I work along side are all very supportive of me, and NPs in general. When we get together they answer my questions, share ideas (they do think I have good ideas!) and just talk, about our families, hobbies- the usual. You know, like friends and colleagues often do. I honestly can not imagine why anyone would purposefully set out to try to humiliate a friend/coworker? (And believe me, after 18 years in Nursing, not being able to image that scenario is really saying something. ;) ) It just seems full of misplaced malice, and frankly, bizarre. Maybe I am inferring something from your post incorrectly, in which case I apologize.

I am genuinely perplexed at the adversarial nature of some (many?) posts on this board, when my professional experience and relationships do not reflect anything even approximating this tenor. Not at all.

It is disturbing to see that nurse practioners now have the ability to practice independently. I would like to know how this sort of practioner receives an appropriate evaluation of their clinical skills, prior to setting off into the world to independently manage patients.

WTF ?

Looking at the extent of training, how can health care licensing bodies expect these people to manage conditions independently ? With the amount of training described, this is very dangerous, and just outright stupid. I know I was nowhere near ready to treat patients by myself until the end of residency, and this was after 6 years of extensive training.

I would love to get one of these Noctors in the hot seat in my office, just for 15 minutes.

Well this came at the right time. I'm a psych NP practicing independently and have since the day I graduated. The door to my office faces the door to a M.D., Ph.D. psychiatrist. Yesterday I was seeing a patient who he initially saw in the past. He was standing outside his door when the patient left. She said, "I like you both. Goodbye doctors." I informed the physician that no matter how many times I tell patients I'm a NP they insist on calling me a doctor. He said don't worry about it and that I have the demeanor and knowledge base of a physician. I told him demeanor maybe but not knowledge base! My clinic supervisor stopped supervising me a long time ago as we were always of the same mind. And also yesterday I consulted my next door partner on another patient he had seen in the past and we both were pretty much stumped on what else to do. So, even though I'm not a noctor, I'll sit in your hot seat for much longer than 15 minutes. BTW, I had 37 years in nursing (and multiple countries) prior to becoming an NP. Just saying...:D

Let me clarify that I'll sit in your hot seat to discuss psych. I have no interest in talking OB-GYN unless there is postpartum onset of mood or psychotic disorder.

Last edited:
I am surprised that this is news to you Ghost Dog, as it is not a recent development. Nurse Practitioners have had autonomous practice in 20+ states since at least the mid 90s. Perhaps it simply gets more press these days because of the attention to primary care issues and universal coverage, etc.?

I just happen to live in a state that does support independent NP practice, but it isn't why we live here. The physicians I work along side are all very supportive of me, and NPs in general. When we get together they answer my questions, share ideas (they do think I have good ideas!) and just talk, about our families, hobbies- the usual. You know, like friends and colleagues often do. I honestly can not imagine why anyone would purposefully set out to try to humiliate a friend/coworker? (And believe me, after 18 years in Nursing, not being able to image that scenario is really saying something. ;) ) It just seems full of misplaced malice, and frankly, bizarre. Maybe I am inferring something from your post incorrectly, in which case I apologize.

I am genuinely perplexed at the adversarial nature of some (many?) posts on this board, when my professional experience and relationships do not reflect anything even approximating this tenor. Not at all.
I believe Ghost Dog is referring to an Oral Examination, which are part of the boarding process for most (or all, I'm not really sure) medical specialties. I'm not really surprised that a future noctor has no idea that other fields actually hold their graduates responsible for the knowledge they are supposed to gain during training.

I am not sure why I try to have respectful dialogue with people who seemingly only want to insult me and my profession for entertainment. I come here because a) I got banned from a nurses years ago ;) and b) I thought most of us could learn a bit from each other. If the members of SDN really do not want to hear from their NP colleagues, I guess I'll be on my way. What a shame.

Regards.

I am not sure why I try to have respectful dialogue with people who seemingly only want to insult me and my profession for entertainment. I come here because a) I got banned from a nurses years ago ;) and b) I thought most of us could learn a bit from each other. If the members of SDN really do not want to hear from their NP colleagues, I guess I'll be on my way. What a shame.

Regards.

This has nothing to do with being collegial, and everything to do with safety and competence.

I would not want my wife, brother or parent to see one of these noctors in an isolated medical setting. They simply are not appropriately trained for independent practice.

You say you have " 1000 clinical hours " of training (and what exactly do you mean by this? ) : I'm sorry, this is just simply not enough.

If these health care providers are to practice independently, it is my strong belief that these practioners should have to pass the USMLE steps 1,2 and 3. This would assure that there is some sort of quality control process here.

You want to ride in the rodeo ?

Cowboy up.

This has nothing to do with being collegial, and everything to do with safety and competence.

I would not want my wife, brother or parent to see one of these noctors in an isolated medical setting. They simply are not appropriately trained for independent practice.

You say you have " 1000 clinical hours " of training (and what exactly do you mean by this? ) : I'm sorry, this is just simply not enough.

If these health care providers are to practice independently, it is my strong belief that these practioners should have to pass the USMLE steps 1,2 and 3. This would assure that there is some sort of quality control process here.

You want to ride in the rodeo ?

Cowboy up.

I dunno. I would be fine with NPs managing chronic patients with straight-forward medical conditions (DM, HTN, etc), as long as they are appropriately, and extensively, trained in it.

Now, to have them see every patient in the ED is a different story. Until there is sufficient evidence to the contrary, I don't expect that a person trained in the nursing model has sufficient background to diagnose the nuances in patient presentation that would lead to a different, potentially more emergent diagnosis.

This doctor thing, honestly I care less and less the more I hear and talk about it. I think it's a semantic power play, but whatever. The big names in medicine I've had the fortunate ability to be mentored by all introduced themselves by their name - title and white coat excluded. I plan on doing the same. The title and the coat are just getting awfully pretentious. If people are fighting just to be able to get these status accessories, then I want no part of it. I think that introduction by name (sans title) and position is the most honest, and most informative to patients - not to mention the most likely at building rapport.

I saw an NP, PhD advert from Utah by a Doctor Donna where she actually spent time explaining by she should be called 'doctor.' It's just laughable and absurd that we have to get to this level.

When did it stop being about treating patients and become about status? I know MDs had a reputation for treating nurses poorly in the past, but is this all a backlash toward that or am I missing something?

People, regardless of what you call yourselves, I hope everyone takes a good hard look in the mirror before they start their day and acknowledge their strengths and limitations. The moment you start overestimating yourself and not seeking help from people more knowledgeable is when you'll see an increase in poor patient outcomes.

I dunno. I would be fine with NPs managing chronic patients with straight-forward medical conditions (DM, HTN, etc), as long as they are appropriately, and extensively, trained in it.

Ditto. And in a lot of places, I think this is what happens. Or (like with my PCP) they handle appointments made for common ailments. Actually, I think pretty much any time I've made an appointment because I have a sinus infection or persistent sore throat, I'm told my doctor doesn't have any available appointments for a few weeks but the NP or PA (my PCP employs both) have almost immediate availability. And this isn't necessarily a bad thing, because the physician is free to concern himself with more unusual, intensive, or specialized concerns. The only thing that does suck is if there's something more going on, the NP/PA may be less likely to spot this, because they aren't trained as in depth as MDs.

For example, I saw an NP at a minute clinic before getting my tonsils out. I understand strep throat may have been going around at the time, but she wouldn't give any kind of prescription or treatment without me getting a strep test. I had been having chronic sore throats that, despite having prior strep tests (my PCP no longer tested me for strep), was irrelevant. I understand she had never seen me before, but the test was $90 on top of the $50 visit (it was a Sunday and my PCP was closed) just for a lidocaine throat spray (turns out she couldn't prescribe antibiotics until my throat culture, which was negative, came back) ended up being a waste of money. At my PCP it's been a bit better, though I had to fight the NPs a few times on the strep tests (I had been there MULTIPLE times for sore throats and had prior negative strep tests). I finally was able to get an appointment with my actual physician, who told me on the first visit that I needed to go to an ENT. Oh, and all of this happened despite the fact I had been seen by an ENT about a year prior (transferred there from an ER after my throat had nearly closed off from swelling) who wanted to take my tonsils out.

My nursing instructors (some of which, if not all, are NPs) typically can't answer more in depth or logic based physiology questions. And if it involves chemistry/biochemistry, they seem even more lost. The material I've learned so far is not much more in depth than information I can find on webmd. Granted, I *am* only in my first semester of the nursing program (ie, Fundamentals and Pharmacology), but my teachers are very reluctant to answer any questions I have that go more into the sciences.

Now, to have them see every patient in the ED is a different story. Until there is sufficient evidence to the contrary, I don't expect that a person trained in the nursing model has sufficient background to diagnose the nuances in patient presentation that would lead to a different, potentially more emergent diagnosis.

Exactly. See above.

This doctor thing, honestly I care less and less the more I hear and talk about it. I think it's a semantic power play, but whatever. The big names in medicine I've had the fortunate ability to be mentored by all introduced themselves by their name - title and white coat excluded. I plan on doing the same. The title and the coat are just getting awfully pretentious. If people are fighting just to be able to get these status accessories, then I want no part of it. I think that introduction by name (sans title) and position is the most honest, and most informative to patients - not to mention the most likely at building rapport.

YES. I like you...all of your responses I've seen in every thread I've seen you write in, I have the same opinions. My nursing instructors very much have this "semantic power play" attitude...both in relating their career experiences with "evil doctors" and in their attitudes toward students/educational structure (ie, there's no consistency, they tell us we won't be tested on things that actually DO end up being on tests, and when students bring this to their attention, they merely complain in front of us that we expect them to spoon-feed us). To be honest, so much of the nursing materials I've learned makes the nursing profession out to be about semantics. While from the documentation aspect of things (and liability), I think nursing diagnoses are a good idea, the way they are phrased and the fact that we have to learn the difference between medical and nursing diagnoses (because nurses can't use medical diagnoses) is ALL semantics. And after a while, it REALLY starts to piss a person off. To me, it feels like one big, pointless game, when we should really be focusing on the tasks/information at hand.

My problem isn't with charting, it's with the semantics and HOW MUCH that's a part of nursing. Semantics plus power struggles equals a person I'd like to smack across the side of their head. Pretentious is a VERY good word for it. I have a GREAT PCP, and even though I use "Dr. ---" with him, he's always been personable and treats patients as equals. The last visit I had we even poked fun at each other (which was the first visit with him in about a year). But despite having seen the PAs and NPs more frequently over the past few years, I wouldn't joke around with them. The one time I made a joke, crickets chirped, and that has pretty strongly established an uncomfortable atmosphere with the health care professionals who are supposed to be more concerned with "comfort" and "caring" than physicians. *shrugs*

When did it stop being about treating patients and become about status? I know MDs had a reputation for treating nurses poorly in the past, but is this all a backlash toward that or am I missing something?

People, regardless of what you call yourselves, I hope everyone takes a good hard look in the mirror before they start their day and acknowledge their strengths and limitations. The moment you start overestimating yourself and not seeking help from people more knowledgeable is when you'll see an increase in poor patient outcomes.

Again, spot on the money. Nurses/nursing students are ALWAYS bringing up this "MDs treated nurses poorly in the past" thing. I'm always hearing this from my other students ("they probably had to fight so much for respect throughout their careers that they just ARE bitter"). But that's not an excuse. Fighting for respect is one thing, but going overboard is another.

It does seem that a lot of nurses think they DO know more because of what they learn clinically. From what I understand, a lot of nurses DO get a better knowledge base/understanding from clinical experience than what they learn in school. But if that's the case, that should cause an educational reform, NOT a "we deserve more" attitude. I am HIGHLY dissatisfied with my nursing education thus far and STRONGLY believe there needs to be a reform in nursing education standards and structure. Quite honestly, it's been nothing short of absurd. But this self-pitying/righteous/"we deserve more" attitude is NOT the way to handle the situation. It's also not appropriate to instill this attitude in future nurses (which is what's happening in my program).

I saw an NP, PhD advert from Utah by a Doctor Donna where she actually spent time explaining by she should be called 'doctor.' It's just laughable and absurd that we have to get to this level.

What concerns me is the fact that these midlevels are not managing
pre-specified "straight-forward" problems ( although the above medical issues you allude to have their own complications I would not be comfortable having a mid level manage - eg : a female diabetic pt presenting in the office with acute coronary syndrome in an atypical fashion - it happens).

For example, a patient comes with fatigue; this could be any number of underlying problems.

Another example that comes to mind is chronic cough.

Both of these have a huge differential, some not benign. Of course, most of these are benign. However, family MDs are paid for catching the malignant or life-threatening problems. I have serious doubts that a noctor, with the amount of training, listed here, has the capacity to manage such problems independently.

You get what you pay for.

I have a hard time seeing these noctors being nothing other than referral machines.

Last edited: