on Waitlist.. Email Admissions Committee Researchs Requesting Research Info, Etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

moops

like is it okay to contact researchers on the admin committee? i am really into research and whatnot, done lots of NIH stuff- but would it seem "devious" if i mailed several members of the admit committee about my research intersts and inquiring about their own? hopefully they wouldn't think, "why didn't he just mail someone NOT on the admit committee?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

this is just my opinion, but i think that it would be alright if you just emailed one or two of the people on the admissions committee and asked about their research . . . then it would seem like you were just curious about the work they do. but if you emailed a lot of them, there's always the chance that they'll discuss and then think bad things about you emailing only admissions committee members.

If you have legitimate questions about their reseach interests, then I think it's fine to email them. Don't do it gratuitously -- put a little effort into finding out what they're doing and ask sensible questions. If you really don't want to be seen as "devious", then send a few emails to non-adcomm members too to balance things out.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry but what the hell kind of questions do you have about their research? if you're so interested - read their papers :rolleyes:
not trying to flame, but i really want to understand what you would find so fascinating about their research that you'd really want to reach out to them.
its too transparent man. i know you've been waitlisted and all. i know it sucks. i've been there before. suck it up. dont make more of a mess than need be.
and honestly what would you even say... hey i'm moops i've been waitlisted but i'm really interested in your research. if i were them - i'd be like its nice that you're interested, but contact me when you get in.

I don't think it hurts, if you are genuinely interested and can come up with a plausible reason for contacting them. I wouldn't e-mail every single adcom member, though. Make sure your questions are intelligent and show that you've read their papers and stuff, and keep it short and to the point. I think more likely than not they'll be flattered by your interest if you approach it the right way, or worst-case they won't care either way.

Well, you are accepted to Mizzou right? Which is not a terribly strong research school but geographically is not that far from WashU where I assume you are thinking of emailing. In that case I think it would be very valid to contact people with whom you share a research interest and explain that, while accepted to Mizzou your career goals are in the areas of research and/or academic medicine and that you therefore wish to pursue research opportunities. Ask if there are any opportunities to work with them this summer/next summer etc. However, only take this approach if you genuinely are interested in working with these people. Either way if you *are* interested in research/academics the worst that happens is you still end up at Mizzou, but doing research in your summers with WashU profs - in and of itself not a bad aim. :)