On Your MOC and Certification Fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no comment on the veracity of the report made by the forensic accountant who performed the analysis, but this is interesting nonetheless and worth a read.

Medical Specialty Boards' Billion Dollar Asset Baby Exposed, in Report Released by the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) | Markets Insider

http://www.wikimoc.org/2016/abms/report/pdf/color.pdf

"The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, leading all boards with excess reserves of $90 million, is constructing a "41,000 square-foot facility [that] will include a glazed floor-to-ceiling wall to the private courtyard with a view of a lake beyond."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not surprised. I was in the last class that still had to do that POS oral-board exam...the one that was stopped cause it was found not to be effective.

And I only had to pay thousands of dollars for it and my hotel stay, air-fare, lost time at work.

Is anyone else savvy with computers and a little artistic? I say we jump on the gravy train and develop curricula for the boards because for every dollar spent on boards testing I’d wager $3 were spent on a preparatory course or software.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the last class of oral boards. I liked it. I think it gave me much more confidence. However, I feel bad for people who failed

I was in the last class of oral boards. I liked it. I think it gave me much more confidence. However, I feel bad for people who failed

A number of people, including myself, went through a very unorthodox situation such as a patient literally not being medically stable during interview or refusing to talk to the interviewer. There's not established way to proceed on such a matter. IMHO, and remember I was an assistant professor for a few years, I did what any responsible doctor would do. When I was interviewed and asked questions, "What is the Axis V score?" Me-"Zero. Not enough information to report." Them: "Doctor, you need to do better than that." Me (I said something to the effect of..) "I can't. Literally the score is zero. The score of zero denotes the evaluator doesn't have enough information to give a more precise score. I am meeting the exact DSM-IV Axis V score appropriate for this situation and I know by the book's exact definition I am correct because that patient wouldn't talk to me. Any score I give would have to be based on assumptions that would not live up to the standards of an acceptable evaluation.

Well heck I failed that one. I passed on my second attempt. but for them to give me a lame person who wasn't going to talk to me at all based on his own choice, charge me over $1000 and then fail me cause I gave them correct answers is lame.

Yeah the patient refused to talk to me, but that's not my fault. So he had a score of a zero. End of story. That's what the book defines as a zero.