once is good, twice is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camillekc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Columbia's secondary ask you to write the EXACT SAME essay (albiet shorter) as amcas did??

I hate this.

Members don't see this ad.

Camillekc said:
Is it just me or does Columbia's secondary ask you to write the EXACT SAME essay (albiet shorter) as amcas did??

I hate this.
Well, keep in mind that they're new to AMCAS and were for some reason not willing to adjust their secondary accordingly (or at least do so ahead of time - I was one of the unfortunate people who included all of my grades in their secondary).

Camillekc said:

I hate this.
i thought it was subtly different, but too similar too warrant asking. i tried to write different things in it, otherwise its a wasted opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just copied and pasted from AMCAS. I exploited a Javascript vulnerability to allow me to increase the maximum character count so I could fit the whole thing in. Now they're gonna HAVE to read that sucker dos veces!

drinklord said:
I just copied and pasted from AMCAS. I exploited a Javascript vulnerability to allow me to increase the maximum character count so I could fit the whole thing in. Now they're gonna HAVE to read that sucker dos veces!

You're joking, right?

I thought it was ok...Yes, somewhat similar, but different enough that you could approach it from a different angle. For me, these sorts of secondaries are good right now, because after a really great international volunteer experience this summer, I have great anecdotes to write about. I was able to come in with a new opener and a slightly different take on the question than AMCAS, though the point I was making was essentially the same.

It's better than Stanford's MSTP. They have two questions that irk me. Question 1 is "What is your most significant research experience?" Question 2 is "Discuss your other significant research experiences." Funny thing, I thought "Discuss your most significant research experiences" from AMCAS already covered this. Well, I just used it to give more background on my current research work, talking a lot more about the background and giving much more specific details about the results than I did in AMCAS.