Oncology residency for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anguscrimm

Fun furry guy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Does anyone know if an Oncology residency is available for DOs? I was looking on the AOA site for it and no matches came up. Also I saw an AOA ad that they placed to create osteopathic awareness and it said DOs can be...it listed a bunch of specialities like surgery, sports med, etc, but oncology was ommitted. *shrug* so i'm puzzled...if anyone has any info please share.

I'm a first year at Western btw, and we're getting killed. Stupid outdated 8-5 cirriculum has us in class 40 hrs a week and not enough time to drink beer.
biggrin.gif

Angus

Members don't see this ad.

Anguscrimm;

Actually, Oncology isn't a residency but it's a fellowship following Internal Medicine residency. Usually Oncology training is in conjunction with Hematology but there may be a few individual programs out there. As far as AOA Oncology programs go, I'm not sure if there are any (try the Opportunities book), but there are several Hemo/Onc Fellowship programs offered through the ACGME.

If you're sure you want to be an Oncologist, you'd be wise to consider an ACGME IM program as it will open more doors than through the AOA.

Originally posted by Anguscrimm:
Hi all

Does anyone know if an Oncology residency is available for DOs? I was looking on the AOA site for it and no matches came up. Also I saw an AOA ad that they placed to create osteopathic awareness and it said DOs can be...it listed a bunch of specialities like surgery, sports med, etc, but oncology was ommitted. *shrug* so i'm puzzled...if anyone has any info please share.

I'm a first year at Western btw, and we're getting killed. Stupid outdated 8-5 cirriculum has us in class 40 hrs a week and not enough time to drink beer.
biggrin.gif

Angus

Rtk,

Ahhh, thanks for the clarification regarding the fellowship of oncology with IM. this makes things a bit more clear. And as far going for oncology for sure, that is something i don't know. I'm really confused right now actually as to what i want to do...i think i've narrowed it down to either peds, fp, or im. Going IM might be good cause it might leave more options for me with the different fellowships and all, but at this point i'm still very unsure of where my interests and strengths truly are. I guess that's one positive of being a first year and having gross being my #1 worry...being able to procrastinate on an important decision. :confused

cheers,

ang