Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

one bad semester....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MBK, Jan 10, 2001.

1. MBK

MBK Junior Member

Okay, here goes...Fall of 99 I had one bad semester at a small private undergrad school. I don't remember exactly what my GPA ended up being but I think I ended up with 2 Cs and 2 Fs. (My best friend suddenly passed away 2 weeks before finals and I wasn't able to pull it together to make it to class after that...took the finals though.) Anyway...since then I'm pursing a Bio major at a state school and going to try to get into my state med school. Does anyone know how this will affect my chances? After that bad semester I recieved notice that I was basically ousted from the school after that semester. Now I have a 3.67 GPA and am carrying a 4.0 in sciences so far. What do you think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jimi

jimi Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss...I honestly can't see how anyone could blame you for your academic performance under such conditions.

If I remember correctly many of the applications I filled out had a section that allowed you to explain special circumstances that may have affected you academically. Even if the secondaries don't include this option, I would still contact the admissions offices and let them know so that you can attach an explanation.

Obviously if you are doing so well in your sciences courses you must be very capable to handle med school. So make sure to keep up the grades to prove to all the adcoms that the grades from that semester were due to unusual circumstances rather than you simply not applying yourself.

Good luck! (oh yeah, and make sure to do well on the MCAT...that always helps to balance shaky grades!)

4. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with Jimi....I don't think that semester will hurt you at all IF you take the time to explain why it happened. Your GPA is above par for most med-schools and providing you do well on the MCAT, I don't think it will cause you any problems. F's certainly aren't something you want glaring on your transcript, but at least you had a legitimate excuse (most people would have probably just withdrawn!). If well explained in your application, I'm sure most adcom's will more than understand!

Good Luck