One final question before I submit!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satinsixstring

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, thank god! Finally ready to submit!

Ok, 10VR 11PS 10BS Q, 3.8 GPA ~3.8 BCPM

Is my list of schools ok?

Albany
Boston U
UCLA
George Washington
USC
Loma Linda
Mayo
Oregon Health
Stanford
Temple
UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider (I am a UCR student)
UCSD
UCSF
Yale

I think I got a good spread here, but I an open to suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

I would add a couple of more schools with stats like those of GW and Temple. Also, how are your ECs?

looks good...maybe you can try adding a few more mid to upper tier schools? Your stats are great so you never know what could happen. :)

:luck:

J

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you are from CA you might want to bump it up to 20 schools. Yale, UCLA, Stanford, UCSF, Mayo and UCSD are pretty much reach schools for just about everyone so you might want to add some lower tier schools too. The average MCAT at all those is like 34-35. What about UC Irvine and UC Davis?

remo said:
Since you are from CA you might want to bump it up to 20 schools. Yale, UCLA, Stanford, UCSF, Mayo and UCSD are pretty much reach schools for just about everyone so you might want to add some lower tier schools too. The average MCAT at all those is like 34-35. What about UC Irvine and UC Davis?

I agree with this... the OP does have mostly reach schools as mentioned above. Boston U may not be considered a "reach" school, but they do have nearly ~10,000 applicants, so that in itself makes it a reach school. And if you're from California, what motivates you to go to Albany, NY? Basically, I think you have a strong GPA and MCAT score, but you should still apply to a few more schools with MCAT averages hovering around 30.

good luck with the ucla thomas haider program! i almost went to UCR just for that, but was afraid of the stiff competition.

Ambs said:
I agree with this... the OP does have mostly reach schools as mentioned above. Boston U may not be considered a "reach" school, but they do have nearly ~10,000 applicants, so that in itself makes it a reach school. And if you're from California, what motivates you to go to Albany, NY? Basically, I think you have a strong GPA and MCAT score, but you should still apply to a few more schools with MCAT averages hovering around 30.

I concur. Add some mid-tiers and another "safety."

Looque said:
I concur. Add some mid-tiers and another "safety."

Any recomendations?

I forgot to add, for a little bit of an idea of my EC's:

Volunteer with autistic program at an Elementary school 1 year
Shadowing pediatric neurologist 2 years
Neurology paper
Music intruction <1 year
3 tutoring jobs - 1-2 years each
Christian Bible Study
Deans List
Office Assistant - 1 summer
Book Keeper - 3+ years
Hobbies - Surfing/snowboarding/Automobile Restoration.

satinsixstring said:
Any recomendations?

Penn State, Loyola, Saint Louis, MCW, Drexel, Jefferon, AECOM, Ohio State, Medical University of Ohio, Wake Forest, NYMC

Ambs said:
Penn State, Loyola, Saint Louis, MCW, Drexel, Jefferon, AECOM, Ohio State, Medical University of Ohio, Wake Forest, NYMC

Ok, I think I am a little happier with this list

Boston
UCLA
Drexel
George Washington
USC
Loma Linda
Loyola
Oregon HSU
St. Louis
Stanford
Temple
Tufts
UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider
UCSD
UCSF
UCD
Yale

You like? I think thats gonna be the list. added some lower ones, sacrified a reach, got rid of New york (i don't know what I was thinking - that is totally not for me).

you know, once you submit your application that you can add more schools later. I submitted my application to schools before knowing my April mcat score and then applied to more after finding it out. BTW, Oregon is going to be really tough to get into as a Californian.

mediocriskid said:
you know, once you submit your application that you can add more schools later. I submitted my application to schools before knowing my April mcat score and then applied to more after finding it out. BTW, Oregon is going to be really tough to get into as a Californian.

TTT - just looking for a few more opinions :)

lol it would have been more funny if your final question before submitting is
"what are my chances?"

:laugh:

I'm curious, doesn't "Christian Bible Study" work for just about anyone who goes to Sunday School? Maybe something like "history of cannonization and textural criticism for New Testament literature" may sound a bit more in depth if you have put some real study into this area?

Haemulon said:
I'm curious, doesn't "Christian Bible Study" work for just about anyone who goes to Sunday School? Maybe something like "history of cannonization and textural criticism for New Testament literature" may sound a bit more in depth if you have put some real study into this area?

I like that, may I use it?

satinsixstring said:
I like that, may I use it?

Help yourself, you just better be able to discuss it should your interviewers ask. Remember, I said *if* you have put a lot of study into this area. :)

Haemulon said:
Help yourself, you just better be able to discuss it should your interviewers ask. Remember, I said *if* you have put a lot of study into this area. :)

Good Point. And Thank you. I shouldn't have too much trouble.

Remember, that list is just the 30 second version.