one last chance for step 2ck..need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowlybutshelly

ms4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a state that limits the number of times I can try to pass step2ck. I passed step1 196 in 2004, passed step 2 cs in 2005. Got very burnt out after travelling and took some time to breathe.

I have been assured that when i pass ' thinsg will work out here'. But if they dont, I know I can go to a number of states that dont have a limit to the number of times you can take Step2ck ( indiana?..anyway, i know there are some).

I am starting usmleworld for step2ck. And i have the secrets book. I just need to keep going forward so i can get my morale boost.

If you had one last chance to take and pass step2ck what would you do?

any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a state that limits the number of times I can try to pass step2ck. I passed step1 196 in 2004, passed step 2 cs in 2005. Got very burnt out after travelling and took some time to breathe.

I have been assured that when i pass ' thinsg will work out here'. But if they dont, I know I can go to a number of states that dont have a limit to the number of times you can take Step2ck ( indiana?..anyway, i know there are some).

I am starting usmleworld for step2ck. And i have the secrets book. I just need to keep going forward so i can get my morale boost.

If you had one last chance to take and pass step2ck what would you do?

any helpful advice would be appreciated.

This is out of curiosity, but how can you just now be finishing up boards after being away for 5 years? Don't you have to be enrolled in a school to be eligible to take any part of the board exams?

I'm really sorry to hear that you are in such a difficult situation. If I were you, I would first try to assess where things went wrong on the other attempts. Is there a clear area of weakness in your knowledge that you can focus on? Were you using the wrong study materials? Did you have poor clinical exposure and never get the chance to learn the material properly the first time around? Knowing why things didn't work out the first time is the first step to fixing things this time.
I'd also definitely take some of the practice exams before doing the actual test as well to try to judge if I was really ready to take it.
I hope that everything goes well for you. I give you a lot of credit for finding the motivation and courage to try again after facing such a setback. :luck:

It has been 10 years since taking step 1. Many states require you to have all steps done within 7 years in order to be licensed. Your step 1 score is 10 years old. what year did you graduate? what have you been doing since graduation? How many failures do you have? Based on the information given, it is highly unlikely you would ever match into any residency.