One last elective before FM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heech

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm actually asking this on behalf of my wife. She's about to wrap up her fourth year, and will hopefully (2 weeks until we find out) be matching into a FM residency next year.

She has one more 4-week elective to go, and has complete freedom in terms of what to do. Any suggestions from either residents or practicing FM, as to a specific elective that may be useful and/or interesting... either for residency or future practice?

For example, she's getting a kick out of her current ortho elective, primarily because of the large number of knee aspirations the attending is passing her way.

Anything else of similar long-term "value"?

Members don't see this ad.

Its fourth year; do something fun!

Your wife might have some knowledge gaps but most of them will be filled when she goes through residency. So look at the curriculum at the residency she might match at and figure out if there are any gaps and fill it in with elective that is fun (ie. no call and no weekends.)

I did a bunch of 4th-yr electives that gave me great experience and training. Derm, high-risk OB, ID, ER (splinting, lac repair), peds urgent care - depending on your local sites, all of these are things that you may never get enough of in residency, when you have to leave your elective for clinic or other responsibilities. I am often grateful that I did not just blow off 4th year.