One less LOR due to COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspyn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm going to be applying to rheum this cycle. The rheum program at my residency is very small. Due to covid, all the outpatient clinics and elective rotations for residents got cancelled from March until July (we need to help elsewhere in the hospital, which is completely understandable). Because of this, I will have less LORs.

Is it okay to use 1 internal medicine letter and 1 rheum letter?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have a letter from your program director and at least one from a rheumatologist, you've probably met the bare minimum. Some programs do require 3 letters - but that third one can be from anywhere. The maximum anywhere is 4.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I'm going to be applying to rheum this cycle. The rheum program at my residency is very small. Due to covid, all the outpatient clinics and elective rotations for residents got cancelled from March until July (we need to help elsewhere in the hospital, which is completely understandable). Because of this, I will have less LORs.

Is it okay to use 1 internal medicine letter and 1 rheum letter?

Typically you will need AT LEAST 3 letters. One from PD and one from rheum faculty. The other one can be from any primary care or hospital medicine attending

^thank you! yes, I will be ok then!