One low section score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john.snow

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently got my MCAT score, which was a composite of 516 (94th). Here is the breakdown:

C/P: 131, 99th
CARS: 130, 98th
B/B: 125, 52nd
P/S: 130, 95th

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about how med schools will view the lower bio/biochem section despite performing well in the rest. I am overall happy with my score, but I don't want it to bring me down because of the one section. Will some med schools potentially just dismiss my application because of it?

I appreciate any input people have. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a good score and I personally wouldn't retake it. But a 125 in bio is still concerning and you might have to explain more in interviews if asked.

I'll tag @Goro for more input

Ok thank you. I was really thrown, it was always my second best section going into the exam and I am honestly not sure what happened. Thanks you for the input though.

Went from my best to worst section on real thing. Not a 125 but still. If you have good grades in bio classes I wouldn’t sweat it. May get a couple questions during interviews. Only you can decide if it’s worth a retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey great score! I would say you'd be fine for a bunch of MD/DO schools. If you were planning on applying to MD/PhD then I think that 125 in B/B might hurt you, though

This thread makes me so nervous. I promised myself I'd make my choice to not repeat the MCAT, but lately I'm second guessing my decision. I have a good overall score (516), but 122 in CARS. I have no where to go but down in C/P and B/B and I'm not sure I could repeat my P/S score (130.)

What do med schools think if you take it again and go down overall in order to make one really low score go up?

This thread makes me so nervous. I promised myself I'd make my choice to not repeat the MCAT, but lately I'm second guessing my decision. I have a good overall score (516), but 122 in CARS. I have no where to go but down in C/P and B/B and I'm not sure I could repeat my P/S score (130.)

What do med schools think if you take it again and go down overall in order to make one really low score go up?

It doesn't look good (and in fact potentially raises red flags) to retake a score and end up with a lower score. I don't think I'd retake but a 122 is still concerning. I suggest getting input from the SDN adcoms (e.g. LizzyM, Goro, gyngyn) and go from there.

122 in CARS will probably get you an R everywhere. That’s 23rd percentile in your ability to read and think critically. What happened? Scoring that high in the sciences means your reading comprehension skills are solid. It sounds like a fluke, but you probably need to retake tbh. Just my two cents.