One MD and One D.O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arsenewenger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After careful consideration, i have decided to hold on to one D.O and One MD acceptances until further notice. Will the schools know and what are the consequences?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

After careful consideration, i have decided to hold on to one D.O and One MD acceptances until further notice. Will the schools know and what are the consequences?

Thanks

What do you mean by consequences? You have the right to hold on to acceptances as long as possible if you choose to. It doesnt matter if the schools know that or not. As long as you pick one in the end than you should be fine...what two schools are you lucky to be picking between?

What do you mean by consequences? You have the right to hold on to acceptances as long as possible if you choose to. It doesnt matter if the schools know that or not. As long as you pick one in the end than you should be fine...what two schools are you lucky to be picking between?

Sort of. There is a date in may when you are only allowed to be holding one acceptance. Till then, do what you want. I'd probably keep them all until I knew what kind of financial help I could get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank God. I thought this was going to be and MD v. DO thread. Anyways, those are your acceptnaces to hold onto; you earned them. Most schools haven't even made scholarship or financial aid decisions yet, which should be very influential in the decision process to follow.

Thank God. I thought this was going to be and MD v. DO thread. Anyways, those are your acceptnaces to hold onto; you earned them. Most schools haven't even made scholarship or financial aid decisions yet, which should be very influential in the decision process to follow.

Hey when do schools usually make the scholarship offers?...i have one accepatance, have not received anykind of scholarship offer but I know on SDN people have made posts about receiving them...can I hold out for an offer till matriculation or is it all given by say...May?

Hey when do schools usually make the scholarship offers?...i have one accepatance, have not received anykind of scholarship offer but I know on SDN people have made posts about receiving them...can I hold out for an offer till matriculation or is it all given by say...May?

Many are usually renedered by May, because in AMCAS rules, everyone can only hold onto 1 MD acceptance after May 15 (don't know the rules for DO). Schools offer these to woo people to their schools from other schools (I don't know if they'd woo too many from DO schools though). I also don't think the scholarships are than prevalent, but its worth holding out at least for the chance...

Many are usually renedered by May, because in AMCAS rules, everyone can only hold onto 1 MD acceptance after May 15 (don't know the rules for DO). Schools offer these to woo people to their schools from other schools (I don't know if they'd woo too many from DO schools though). I also don't think the scholarships are than prevalent, but its worth holding out at least for the chance...

I see thanks...yeah..DO schools do give them out...i know a few people with substantial offers from very good DO schools and none from their MD schools and it's really a tough choice (especially if you dont care too much about the whole MD/DO thing)

I see thanks...yeah..DO schools do give them out...i know a few people with substantial offers from very good DO schools and none from their MD schools and it's really a tough choice (especially if you dont care too much about the whole MD/DO thing)

That's not what he was saying. He was questioning whether an MD school would offer you scholarships to woo you away from choosing a DO school, not whether DO schools give out scholarships.

That's not what he was saying. He was questioning whether an MD school would offer you scholarships to woo you away from choosing a DO school, not whether DO schools give out scholarships.

Thats a pretty subjective statement...I would think that MD schools are trying to woo you from any other medical school, MD, DO, carribbean..whatever. I dont think they would take an offer away if they learn that you only got accepted to one other school and it was a DO school. Those scholarships are mostly based on need and merit anyway and not on which schools you can be wooed away from.

Thats a pretty subjective statement...I would think that MD schools are trying to woo you from any other medical school, MD, DO, carribbean..whatever. I dont think they would take an offer away if they learn that you only got accepted to one other school and it was a DO school. Those scholarships are mostly based on need and merit anyway and not on which schools you can be wooed away from.

That's a very short-sited statement. The majority of scholarhsips I hear people getting are when they tell an admissions director they're going somewhere else, and then offered a scholarship later.
I also think we should clarify that these scholarships don't happen often or anything, and I'd disagree that Penn is definitely not going to try and woo you from Kirksville College of Oseopathic medicine...

That's a very short-sited statement. The majority of scholarhsips I hear people getting are when they tell an admissions director they're going somewhere else, and then offered a scholarship later.
I also think we should clarify that these scholarships don't happen often or anything, and I'd disagree that Penn is definitely not going to try and woo you from Kirksville College of Oseopathic medicine...

I see what you are saying...but if they really wanted you to join their school, (lets say your a hypothetical 45 mcat 4.0 student..yeah I know), they would offer you the scholarship no matter what, because they want you to come. It doesnt matter if you got accepted to pikesville or harvard. Maybe I am just looking at this differently because I have always thought that these scholarships are offered even before the school knows what other schools you have been accepted to. So I always thought that it wasn't necesarrily trying to woo you away from something but trying to lure you in.

Don't shoot the messenger -- I was just telling you that you totally misread Humble's post. Take it up with him if you have issues.:)

I wasnt talking about your post sorry...:sleep: ...as you can see, I am still half asleep...lol

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

I am also holding one DO and one MD.... It's fine!

Sort of. There is a date in may when you are only allowed to be holding one acceptance. Till then, do what you want. I'd probably keep them all until I knew what kind of financial help I could get.

The only challenge that can come up with that is that DO schools have outrageous deposits to hold your space open (some are $2,000). If you're paying in installments over several months ($500 due Dec, $500 due March, etc....), after a while, you may start to wonder if it's worth holding onto just to see if you're going to get any financial help! (Oh the irony...)

Thank God. I thought this was going to be and MD v. DO thread.

Gee, guess I was the only one thinking it was the start of a joke like "One M.D. and One D.O. go into a bar followed by a rabbi and a priest...."

:D

That's a very short-sited statement. The majority of scholarhsips I hear people getting are when they tell an admissions director they're going somewhere else, and then offered a scholarship later.I also think we should clarify that these scholarships don't happen often or anything, and I'd disagree that Penn is definitely not going to try and woo you from Kirksville College of Oseopathic medicine...

I think your information is not correct on this. Where did you hear this from? Every school I know of gives scholarships based on merit and need. This is not a short-sited statement.

Corrolary to the original post...

I currently am holding on to a D.O. acceptance and am on an M.D. waitlist. The M.D. school (Wayne State) has said in their waitlist letter that if I have matriculated at another school, I will be removed from their waitlist. I would like to hold the D.O. acceptance (even after May 15) but I want to know if that will affect my waitlist status. I would wait for Wayne up into July if need be.

I know that contacting the school will give me the best information regarding this, and I plan to do that, but does anyone have any insight?

Gee, guess I was the only one thinking it was the start of a joke like "One M.D. and One D.O. go into a bar followed by a rabbi and a priest...."

Actually, I thought the exact same thing. Including the bar part... :laugh:

Corrolary to the original post...

I currently am holding on to a D.O. acceptance and am on an M.D. waitlist. The M.D. school (Wayne State) has said in their waitlist letter that if I have matriculated at another school, I will be removed from their waitlist. I would like to hold the D.O. acceptance (even after May 15) but I want to know if that will affect my waitlist status. I would wait for Wayne up into July if need be.

I know that contacting the school will give me the best information regarding this, and I plan to do that, but does anyone have any insight?

I'm not certain on this because I applied to DO schools, but I think that MD schools have a certain date to commit to one school (am I correct?) while DO schools you can hold multiple acceptances without a set date if having to decide. You could hold on to you DO acceptance as long as you want, but I'm not sure if that MD school would know if you were doing so after May 15. Is that what you were trying to figure out? Also like it was said before- DO schools have mega $$$ deposits, but I guess its your only option if you don't get off that waitlist before the deadline.

You could hold on to you DO acceptance as long as you want, but I'm not sure if that MD school would know if you were doing so after May 15. Is that what you were trying to figure out?

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. As things stand, I am currently making preparations to attend A.T. Still COM, and I am going to pay the deposit as soon as I receive my acceptance packet. I'm also trying to find a place to live. :)

However, as May 15 is rapidly approaching, I wanted to see if matriculating at a D.O. school will affect my status on the waitlist at an M.D. school.

(I understand that I will probably receive all sorts of inflammatory comments about relegating a D.O. school to second-best status, and I realize I am beyond-fortunate just to have an acceptance, but I also really liked Wayne State when I visited, and could see myself going there, and still want to have a shot at being there.)

It seems hard to imagine that you'll be removed from the waitlist just because you go about your plans to attend AT Still, whether Wayne knows or not. You don't really 'matriculate' til classes start, right? So are you going to start classes at AT Still and then uproot yourself if Wayne calls you up the 2nd week of classes? It just seems unlikely that your AT Still plans could interfere with your waitlist status at Wayne.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. As things stand, I am currently making preparations to attend A.T. Still COM, and I am going to pay the deposit as soon as I receive my acceptance packet. I'm also trying to find a place to live. :)

However, as May 15 is rapidly approaching, I wanted to see if matriculating at a D.O. school will affect my status on the waitlist at an M.D. school.

(I understand that I will probably receive all sorts of inflammatory comments about relegating a D.O. school to second-best status, and I realize I am beyond-fortunate just to have an acceptance, but I also really liked Wayne State when I visited, and could see myself going there, and still want to have a shot at being there.)

No, the MD school will never find out. Once you have paid your deposit at the DO school, you can hold on to the acceptance as long as you want. MD and DO are completely different applications and have no way of finding out someone's status at the other.
May 15 deadline applies only to multiple MD acceptances.

It seems hard to imagine that you'll be removed from the waitlist just because you go about your plans to attend AT Still, whether Wayne knows or not. You don't really 'matriculate' til classes start.

This is good to know. Thank you for the information, everyone. Another factor is that the academic year at ATSU-Mesa begins on July 30, which sounds to me like it's among the earliest of start dates.

I plan on writing a letter of interest to Wayne, though, letting them know that I do indeed want to attend their school, and would like to remain on their waitlist. Of course, this would all be so much easier if they'd just take me off their waitlist and accept me already. ;) (They make monthly decisions.)

I do not know if allopathic schools will know if you have multiple allopathic acceptances after May 15th, however I think if you want to hang on to the osteopathic spot after May 15th, this will not affect your status with the MD school you are trying to get into it. I don't think that the AOA and LCME school have some sort of a program to hunt down and track people or something.

The only snag you might have is if you are holding onto a public osteopathic school... this maybe a problem - and maybe more so with the Texas program since all the medical schools in Texas participate in a state wide applicant program. I'm very not sure though ..Can anyone elucidate on this any further?

Actually it crossed my mind at first, too. Maybe we should try to write one. :laugh:

Hey Dave_D - I see you had/have a NYCOM & UNECOM interview along w/Drexel waitlist. Good luck - hope you have some great results this year from all of your efforts! :luck: Good luck to everyone here still waiting, too! :luck:

My advice is to rank your schools after interviewing and to just keep the highest one. If you receive a higher acceptance, then reject the lower one. If you're having trouble choosing between two, then better to work on making a choice earlier versus later.

This is good to know. Thank you for the information, everyone. Another factor is that the academic year at ATSU-Mesa begins on July 30, which sounds to me like it's among the earliest of start dates.

I plan on writing a letter of interest to Wayne, though, letting them know that I do indeed want to attend their school, and would like to remain on their waitlist. Of course, this would all be so much easier if they'd just take me off their waitlist and accept me already. ;) (They make monthly decisions.)

I think you will be ok. Wayne state starts its registration and orientation July 30th. usually people are not accepted after that date.

It's usually after registration that AMCAS and the school doesnt allow you to switch. Thats why for example, people who attend Meharry are worried, since their orientation starts in June.

I think since AMCAS and AACOM do not talk, its probably that you can register in a DO school and after you hear from an MD school (from the waitlist) just leave the DO school. There might be legal issues though preventing you from it (not to mention the ethical issue). For example, supose you registered on July 30th and then you hear from Wayne Aug 1st. What do you do? um...its unlikely ppl are accepted after or during orientation however...

Even if it were possible to matriculate at a DO school and then decide to withdraw and enroll in an MD school, you would still be responsible for paying at least the first semesters tuition at the DO school, if not the entire first year. So you'd be paying double.

For example, supose you registered on July 30th and then you hear from Wayne Aug 1st. What do you do?

It is definitely hypothetical situations like this one that I am thinking about. However, I think that you're right - if I get in, I will probably know well before this date. (I would expect that the period immediately following May 15 will provide all the answers.) Still, Studentdoctor.net tends to bring out the worrier in me. :)

As far as the topic of deposits/tuition is concerned, I'm ok with paying the deposits to hold onto my seat. Paying dual tuition for an entire semester is a little distasteful, however. :)