Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

One more attire thread... ER volunteering

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by schooltill30, Apr 23, 2007.

1. schooltill30

schooltill30 Doctor Acula

Pre-Medical
    I saw a few clothing threads (bad pun here, sorry), so I might as well add another. What to wear while volunteering in an ER?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...

Resident [Any Field]
    Check with your ER, they may have a required dress code. I had to wear a ER volunteer collared short sleeve with khakis and black shoes.

4. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

your safest bet would be light green scrubs (top and bottom), a utility belt (trauma shears, bandages, oxygen tubing), glasses with a splash guard attachment, army surplus combat boots, and thick rubber dish-washing gloves.

or you can be boring and go office casual.

5. schooltill30

schooltill30 Doctor Acula

Pre-Medical
    I was actually thinking of getting all Patch adams on them. :rolleyes:

6. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

oh. is this a pediatric emergency room? if not, then i'd think going gallagher would be more appropriate.

7. JennyB

Resident [Any Field]
    I wore professional clothes while volunteering - dress pants and a top - with close-toed shoes and a white coat.

8. the volunteer dress code at the UMC for me is slacks or dark pants and a collared shirt (preferably the one they give us)

9. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me

Medical Student
    I wore just kakis and a collared shirt, but some of the docs actually wanted me to change into scrubs for the style points I guess. Whatever...I wore Pjs for 12 hours

10. KGundy

KGundy Med School Hopeful!

Pre-Medical
    Dress code here is khakis, a collared volunteer shirt (w/ the hospital logo), and tennis shoes

11. Kfire326

Medical Student
    At my ED, for an internship, we wear:

Males: Slacks, button down shirt, white coat, sneakers is fine (almost nobody wears anything else)

Females: Slacks or a skirt past the knees, a top with sleeves past the elbows that DOES NOT show cleavage or even come close to it. Hair up or tied back. Sneakers are fine too.

Matching might be an issue with sneakers, but I don't care. I wear my standard male outfit with white sneakers and nobody cares. Everyone wears 'em. Male doctors wear sneakers with their suits/slacks also. Matching sneakers for women, I'm not sure about. Come to think of it, all of the female residents wear sneakers, while the attendings and interns (my colleagues) seem to be wearing shoes that i assume are comfy.

Strict volunteering (like changing sheets, restocking rooms, etc):

They say black pants and NO jeans, but everyone wears black jeans. Honestly, we can wear anything as long as we have black pants/jeans covering our legs and our volunteers jacket w/ ID card visible.