EllieGirl89

Ohio State CVM c/o 2015!
Sep 1, 2010
Columbus, OH
www.facebook.com
Status
Veterinary Student
I know you guys didn't know her and I know you don't really even know me that well, but I just thought I'd tell you guys because I know you'd understand.

Her name was Willow. She was 5 years old and I've had her since she was 2 months old. It was love at first sight when I first laid eyes on her, and since I was only 15 at the time I made payments on her for months in order to make her mine.

It was a horrible accident with a heated water bucket, which I will never use again. Everyone with horses, please be careful when using electric buckets to heat your horses' water this winter. I'm so mad at myself.

Rest in peace my sweet pony. Run free.

GellaBella

Penn Vet V'14
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm so sorry EllieGirl. It sounds terrible. Don't beat yourself up though, you loved her and you gave her a good life, I'm sure she loved you too. :(

eventrider

VMRCVM c/o 2017!!!
Apr 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
*hug* I understand what you are going through. My horse is my life, and I know how difficult it would be to lose him. It really wasn't your fault though. Really. *hug*

bunnity

Penn 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2009
Status
Veterinarian
What a gorgeous horse. I'm sorry for your loss :(
What happened?

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2009
MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Oh EllieG, I'm so sorry. Losing a horse is so hard, especially when it is unexpected. *hugs*

lei325

Pseudo-adult
7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Status
Veterinarian
I'm so sorry for your loss, EllieGirl. That's a horrible way to lose a beloved horse.

hunterjumper12

NCSU c/o 2015!
Aug 4, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
I am so sorry Ellie! I can only imagine how awful this must be for you. If you ever want to talk about it, feel free to PM me. I also lost a horse in a tragic way (he got hit by a car while being ridden), so I have a pretty good idea of how you're feeling. Again, I am so sorry *hugs*

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
Oh, jeez, that's horrible :( I too am not a fan of electric buckets, or anything electric in stalls. I always had DIY insulated buckets for that reason, after hearing so many horror stories of entire barns burning down.

Giant hug for you, and if you need e-shoulders to cry on, send me a PM. I can't even imagine what you are going through right now, and my heart really goes out to you. She was beautiful, and it's obvious you truly loved her and did your best for her in all ways, and I hope you can take comfort in that, no matter what <3

Here's to you, Stocking and Star and Blaze.
You brought me all that the best could bring-
Health and mirth and the merriest days
In the open fields and the woodland ways-
And what can I do in return but sing
A song or two in your praise.
~Will H. Ogilvie

Dec 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm sorry for your loss. But it's obvious that she had a wonderful life full of love and being spoiled. She was very lucky.

psilovethomas

fading
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2010
Status
Veterinarian
I'm so sorry :(. She was a beautiful girl and I'm sure she had a fantastic life. At least now she can run endlessly and eat whatever she pleases without colicing! One day, you'll see her again.

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I lost my unexpectedly lost my first cat this summer and I wasn't able to get home to say my good byes.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I agree with everyone... she was beautiful! Cry, grab a close friend and talk about your memories, then cry some more!

Rest in peace <3

squibby

Illinois CVM c/o 2015
Sep 9, 2009
CA
Status
Veterinary Student
Oh, I'm sorry. That's so hard. You have many supporters here if you need to have emotional diarrhea about it.

rileyroo

Auburn 2014
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
i'm so sorry to hear about this. she was absolutely gorgeous.

thank you for sharing and spreading awareness. you have a huge support system here, so please lean on us if we can help.

bbeventer

Illinois 2016
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2010
Illinois
Status
Veterinarian
Ellie I am so sorry for your loss, I could not imagine loosing my horse so suddenly. Its clear that your really loved her and I am sure she had a very happy life.

OP
EllieGirl89

EllieGirl89

Ohio State CVM c/o 2015!
Sep 1, 2010
Columbus, OH
www.facebook.com
Status
Veterinary Student
Thank you guys so much. The outpouring of support has been unbelievable. All I can say is it means a lot and it really has eased the pain some to know that I have so many people behind me. You guys are awesome.

This is one of my favorite pictures of her <3

goldnretrivrgrl

Penn Vet V'15
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, Pennsylvania
Status
Veterinary Student
So sorry for your loss. She'll run forever now and you will see her again. I hope you are doing ok

Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
I'm not even a horse person, but she's a beautiful one! As everyone else has said, hugs. Don't feel bad about posting stuff like this...even anonymous people on the web can provide comfort in times of need (hence my post in all-students a while ago).

We may not be real faces, but know that we see this and DO care, even the people who are viewing this but may not respond because they feel it isn't their place. I wish you the best.

smilin1590

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Wow she was a beautiful girl. I can't imagine losing one of my horses. I'm very sorry, but she is forever able to gallop free now...and she'll always be in your heart and memories. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

May 17, 2010
San Diego!
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Ellie my heart goes out to you. I can't imagine how you are feeling now. It has been a long time since i have lost a dear pet. You obviously loved her dearly. Lots of love to you, take care.:love:

turquoisewolves

c/o 2015
Jan 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Oh I am really very sorry to hear about your loss. She is in a great place, and like someone already said....I also believe that you will see her again!

May 5, 2010
Emerald Isle
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm so sorry; it's clear she was adored. She's beautiful and must have had such a wonderful life with you. Please don't be too hard on yourself about the situation - really crap things happen sometimes (I had a horse die from a stupid stupid accident that I felt incredibly guilty about for...well, still, but I've come to terms with the fact that there was nothing more I could have done to save him). I promise you will get through this - friends, family, pets, and SDN are here for you.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
I am so sorry for your loss, she is a beautiful horse and is now running free. I can tell from your post how much you loved her. Your SDN family is here for you! :(

chyactnate

SGU SVM c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2007
Status
Veterinary Student
Oh she was beautiful!!! I am so sorry for your loss. She is running free now. If you need someone to talk to dont hesitate to PM..losing a pet is never easy :( hope you are doing okay..

clairbear

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Awe, I'm so sorry. I lost one of my pets unexpectadly this year and her sister a few months later and I'm just starting to get over it. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, at least she had a good life.

heylodeb

Small Animal Medicine & Surgery Intern
7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2009
CA
Status
Veterinarian
that. really. sucks. Sorry, Ellie!

su_grad2007

Texas A&M 2015
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2006
TX
Status
Veterinary Student
I am so very sorry for your loss. That is aweful

EnvyPointers

7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2010
Status
Ellie,

My deepest sympathies. I recently lost one of my dogs to a tragic accident. I'm thankful that I have two of her puppies to remind me of her daily.

My prayers are with you. She was a beautiful horse.

racccjlm

Iowa 2014 grad; Ophtho resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2009
Status
Veterinarian
Ellie so sorry to hear about this! Sending hugs your way!!

Oct 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm really sorry. I know how much I love my horse, so my heart truly goes out to you. She was beautiful.

Jun 22, 2010
Canada
Status
Pre-Veterinary
My condolences go out to you. She was a beauty and was very loved! It is so nice to see all the support we have here.

Sep 30, 2010
VMRCVM c/o 2015
Status
Pre-Veterinary
EllieGirl, I am so absolutely sorry for your loss. My own horse is 5 years old, and I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now. We lost 2 horses this year to Colic... I hope you take comfort in all of the happy memories you shared together, and knowing that you gave her a fun-filled life full of love. Horses are always looking for ways to get in trouble, and I truly hope you are not beating yourself up about the water heater. It is never possible to remove 100% of the things that can happen to them, or that they can get into, it is just in their nature I think :). For reference: The people who owned stormcat, one of the highest grossing TB studs, had 4, yes not one but 4, varying fire alarm systems ranging from heat, smoke, light, etc. detection on his stall. I can't imagine there was anything you could have done to prepare for this.

My condolences.

blackangussteak

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm very sorry for your loss of Willow, she was gorgeous. :(
My condolences.

Last edited:

Maddiegirl

5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Status
Pre-Veterinary
There are no words to express how sorry I am for your loss. I am deeply connected to my horses and can only imagine losing one suddenly. I hope that you can take comfort in knowing how many people out here feel your loss and sympathize with your pain. If you ever need to chat, feel free to PM me.

Take comfort in knowing that your beauty knew you loved her and she's watching over you now on your journey to help animals. :)