One of my professors sent me their LoR to read.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seriously almost cried reading it I was so touched. If they're all like this, I'll have to beat back schools with a stick.

I'll admit that I'm bragging, but up until two weeks ago I thought I was SoL with this chem professor because he wasn't answering my e-mails for almost a month, and with getting a letter from my bio professor due to the fact that I hadn't taken Bio since 2003/2004. Then he finally got back to me, and my bio professor from back then remembers me and promised me a shiny addition to my composite letter. This is such a huge load off my mind.

I also found out my psych professor has a copy he will send me of my independent research project that was in addition to a class he taught me. It's my only research experience but I lost my copy of it one of the times my computer died. He is going to send it to me, because I need to read it again since I expect it will come up in interviews. Thank God.

It's just really nice when things just work out. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not all that unusual to be shown the LOR - I had a prof ask me to comment on it and make changes I thought necessary - the letter was perfect as is, no changes needed...very humbling to read it.

My other writers told me, without me asking, that they would write "strong" letters for me.

And I assume they did, because I have a bunch of acceptances.

So you have one less thing to worry about, the content of your letters...good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
good for you. I hope you get accepted everywhere you apply.
:thumbup::thumbup::xf::thumbup::thumbup:

I seriously almost cried reading it I was so touched. If they're all like this, I'll have to beat back schools with a stick.

I'll admit that I'm bragging, but up until two weeks ago I thought I was SoL with this chem professor because he wasn't answering my e-mails for almost a month, and with getting a letter from my bio professor due to the fact that I hadn't taken Bio since 2003/2004. Then he finally got back to me, and my bio professor from back then remembers me and promised me a shiny addition to my composite letter. This is such a huge load off my mind.

I also found out my psych professor has a copy he will send me of my independent research project that was in addition to a class he taught me. It's my only research experience but I lost my copy of it one of the times my computer died. He is going to send it to me, because I need to read it again since I expect it will come up in interviews. Thank God.

It's just really nice when things just work out. :cool:

Yay! :)

I'm happy for you. I wish I could read mine...

Off topic, but does anyone know when you can go and read your LOR... I've heard you can do this after you start med school or something?

Just wondering, but why would you want to do that after you started medical school.....

I guess it's for the pre-med ego boost. To soak in the moment for all you sacrificed in college. It's very strange, I agree.

I realize this would be really petty but I still want to do it for entertainment. I had one professor that had agreed to write me a letter, even went so far as to have me meet him for two hours chatting about info for the letter etc. It took months for him to get around to doing the meeting. He never actually got around to writing the letter despite a lot of reminding. He had been let go from the University I go to so maybe he felt odd about writing it after getting canned. He continued to agree that he would do it very soon yadda yadda. I gave up on him and got a much more substantial letter but from someone I hadn't known for nearly as long as him.

IF I get accepted this year I'm thinking of sending him an email thanking him for writing the letter and letting him know I got in, pretending that I don't know he never wrote it. I don't think he's very familiar with the process. I'm just annoyed he strung me along like that for so long on something that important. I'm wondering if he'll fess up and admit he never did.

^ Maybe he doesn't really support your candidacy but didn't want to outright reject you.

Just wondering, but why would you want to do that after you started medical school.....

Well, they're just nice to read, is all. Talking about LoRs, I had someone tell me long ago, "I don't care what anyone says, you need to know who your friends are." Always liked that sentiment.

Even if they offer, I don't read LORs about myself. It just feels weird.