One of my schools emailed me because one of my LORs didn't have a letterhead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robanada

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the schools to which I am applying has just emailed me indicating that one of my LORs does not have an official letterhead/signature. Crap. What do I do?

1) Create a new entry on AMCAS for the fixed letter
2) Ask the professor to redo the letter with the letterhead and signature
3) Email the school to tell them sorry, and that I will begin rectifying the problem immediately. Thank them for bringing the issue to my attention.
4) Send the new letter to all schools requiring >2 letters? Or should I wait for them to independently email me and ask for the updated one?
5) Send email to the school again to let them know that the fixed letter is en-route.

Sound good? Or should I do something differently?

For what it's worth, here are the schools to which I have currently submitted secondaries:
George Washington
Chicago (Rosalind Franklin)
Davis
Stanford
Harvard
Keck/USC
UCLA (Geffen)
Albert Einstein (They're the ones that emailed me)
Vermont
Chicago (Stritch)
Oregon
UCSD
Wake Forest
UC Denver

Working on Loma Linda and Yale's right now
Waiting to hear from UCSF and Irvine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It doesn't have a letterhead or a signature? I doubt that will fly anywhere, so take the proactive approach and just follow through with your plan rather wait for them to notify you.

Oh, it looks like it actually has the signature, but not the letterhead. >.< I would assume that he has written letters of recommendation before!
If it was missing the signature, I would probably choose to update all of the schools, but I understand that some schools are not as concerned about the letterhead- and I don't want to disturb them. Or would it be better to update them to reiterate my interest in their school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools have different policies regarding what they require on their letters. Some schools don't give you a lot of info regarding it, while others have explicit requirements. I wouldn't send updates this soon, but you can always call or email the schools to ask.

One of the schools to which I am applying has just emailed me indicating that one of my LORs does not have an official letterhead/signature. Crap. What do I do?

3) Email the school to tell them sorry, and that I will begin rectifying the problem immediately. Thank them for bringing the issue to my attention.
4) Send the new letter to all schools requiring >2 letters? Or should I wait for them to independently email me and ask for the updated one?
5) Send email to the school again to let them know that the fixed letter is en-route.

For what it's worth, here are the schools to which I have currently submitted secondaries:
George Washington
Davis
Stanford
Harvard
Keck/USC
UCLA (Geffen)
Vermont
Chicago (Stritch)
Oregon
UCSD
Wake Forest
UC Denver

i would call every school and ask which ones will demand new letters. probably call amcas too.

George Washington
Davis
Stanford
Harvard
Keck/USC
UCLA (Geffen)
Vermont
Chicago (Stritch)
Oregon
UCSD
Wake Forest
UC Denver

I applied to 10 schools last cycle, and only one, Einstein, contacted me to complain that one letter wasn't on letterhead. All of the letters were submitted together as part of a letter packed from the committee and my postbac school. One of the LORs included in that packet was from a professor who hadn't written it on letterhead. My premed adviser told them that the LORs were all legit, and that apparently satisfied them. I still didn't get an interview there, though.

If your original LOR was part of a larger packet, you may not need to do all that.

I wouldn't freak out yet. It's difficult to imagine more than a quarter of your schools will have any issue with this.

Ok, thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'll call each of the schools to see what's up, but I won't stress about it.

George Washington
Davis
Stanford
Harvard
Keck/USC
UCLA (Geffen)
Vermont
Chicago (Stritch)
Oregon
UCSD
Wake Forest
UC Denver

I had this happen with two of my letters. You don't need to create a new entry on AMCAS. The letter writer can resubmit their letter with the appropriate letterhead/signature.

Personally, I think it will be easier/faster/safer for you to just go ahead and let your writer know that they need to resubmit than checking with each individual school what will and won't fly. It will take 2 minutes for them to reprint out the letter, sign it and scan it in. That is if they're not technologically challenged / super busy.

Don't fret. It gave me a heart attack when the school contacted me about the LOR issue, but it took like a week all in all to resolve itself. Good luck!

I emailed the school that had the problem with the letter, and they said that they would complete me as soon as I updated the letter. If I'm understanding this right, the other schools that have already completed me (every other one) are OK with it as it is?

After submitting all of my letters to AMCAS I found out that three of my letters were missing a signature. If you have your letter writer resubmit the letter to AMCAS under the same ID, it will be appended to the original letter and schools will either automatically get the updated letter or you can shoot them an email/call notifying them. I think letterhead is probably not as big a deal as the signature, but like the poster above, I was able to resolve this issue in time, with just a little added stress.

If I were you I'd call to make sure the other schools got the version with the letterhead, but if you are already complete my guess is they are okay with the version of the letter you sent.

After submitting all of my letters to AMCAS I found out that three of my letters were missing a signature. If you have your letter writer resubmit the letter to AMCAS under the same ID, it will be appended to the original letter and schools will either automatically get the updated letter or you can shoot them an email/call notifying them. I think letterhead is probably not as big a deal as the signature, but like the poster above, I was able to resolve this issue in time, with just a little added stress.

If I were you I'd call to make sure the other schools got the version with the letterhead, but if you are already complete my guess is they are okay with the version of the letter you sent.

yep, i had the same deal with my app.

the letter writer can submit another letter to AMCAS under the same Letter ID. no need to create a new entry or anything. AMCAS will just add it to your app and ALL the schools you applied to will see BOTH forms of the letter.

I emailed the school that had the problem with the letter, and they said that they would complete me as soon as I updated the letter. If I'm understanding this right, the other schools that have already completed me (every other one) are OK with it as it is?

Yes. The other schools are okay with this.

I had the same problem this cycle with Albert Einstein with one of my LOR writers. Most schools are okay if they have the signature. Don't worry. I don't think you need to call the other schools especially if they completed you. You are fine.