Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.

one of my schools won't release my transcript. what do I do?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by startoverat40, Apr 23, 2011.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. startoverat40

    startoverat40 R1 Family Medicine 5+ Year Member

    Feb 11, 2011
    i have a tuition dispute with one of my schools from 10 years ago. they won't give me a transcript, and when i call them, they won't even answer my questions. they totally blow me off. it's obvious on their computer record they've put a red flag "don't help this guy with anything".

    so what do I do about this school for my med school application? Suck it up and pay them off so they will remove the block from my records, or try to explain it in my med school applications?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. spicedmanna

    spicedmanna Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Depends on how much money we are talking about and if it's a legitimate claim. If it's a real claim and a relatively small amount, I say pay and be done with it. You have to pick your battles. This is not the time to be obstinate. On the other hand, if it's a large sum of money or not legitimate, you may want to seek counsel or a mediator, or find an alternative solution.

    What you don't want to do is to blow it off and not have that transcript for your applications. Most times, that wouldn't be acceptable, and they may not care about your reasons. All transcripts are required. You may inquire about exceptions; wouldn't hurt. However, if the school has a legitimate claim on you, you will probably have to handle or resolve it at the end anyway.
  4. scarshapedstar

    scarshapedstar MD c/o 2016 5+ Year Member

    Oct 13, 2010
    This is the last thing you want to discuss in your application (unless you also have a criminal conviction :p). If you really can't afford to settle up then you might want to request a printed transcript from the more recent school and if your transfer credits are listed on it, then maybe AMCAS will sign off on it, but if you get flagged for transcript irregularities (if they do that kind of thing?) then you're pretty much screwed forever...
  5. Prncssbuttercup

    Prncssbuttercup Established Member -- Family Medicine Resident 5+ Year Member

    I agree 100% with Spicedmanna... If you don't take care of it, it will be a problem. If you don't list it, and happen to get in, and they figure it out, they can kick you out of school. Don't risk it...
  6. jl lin

    jl lin 7+ Year Member

    Oct 9, 2009
    Yep. These schools have the students over a barrel about such things. Unless it's a boatload of money, I agree. Just pay them and be done with it.
  7. LifeTake2

    LifeTake2 2+ Year Member

    Nov 30, 2010
    Dumb question, why did you wait 10 years to deal with this?

    From the sound of it you know you owe them money, or that they claim you do, I guess I'm unsure why you haven't dealt with it.

    At this point you are going to have to deal with it if you want to go to medical school.

    And if it has been years, they are not going to be cooperative at this point so you can pay or get an attorney.....
  8. startoverat40

    startoverat40 R1 Family Medicine 5+ Year Member

    Feb 11, 2011
    it's for about $2000+ obviously i don't think i should pay them cause it was due to their error. but they're a big uni and they can screw the students over. i didn't follow up cause i thought i'd never care about the transcript again. and i don't, except i'm afraid med schools will deny my application w/o it.
  9. mauberley

    mauberley radiating prestige 5+ Year Member

    Apr 13, 2009
    Urbs in Horto
    If you can prove it was their error, by all means try to correct it. This may involve a lot of time and effort on your part. If you can't, then sadly I think you should pay up.
  10. alwaysaangel

    alwaysaangel 5+ Year Member

    Sep 4, 2006
    Orange, CA
    AMCAS is going to require a transcript from every school you ever attended. I had transfer courses on my university transcript from classes I took at 2 community colleges in high school. The community colleges were a 'district' and their transcripts were identical. But when I applied AMCAS wouldn't verify me until I sent one from the 'other community college' even though the name of both colleges was on the transcript they already had.

    They're pretty nitpicky about it and I doubt they are going to verify you without this transcript. Either pay the university or settle the dispute and prove you don't owe them the money - but either way - get the transcript.
  11. spicedmanna

    spicedmanna Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    I agree in whole with the above. I want to reiterate, OP, now is NOT the time to obstinate. AMCAS and ACCOMAS are very clear with what they want and do not usually offer any exceptions. They do investigate and verify your application. That's part of their job, to be the central application and clearinghouse for all the medical schools that participate. Don't take a change that may very well ruin your career. Pay up, settle, or handle it. In any case, produce the required transcript.
  12. EdLongshanks

    EdLongshanks 2+ Year Member

    Aug 10, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Between MCAT, app fees, interview traveling, you will be lucky if you don't spend well over $2000 just applying to medical schools. You either get your transcript or you don't become a doctor. Is your dream with another $2000?
  13. Dianyla

    Dianyla in denial 7+ Year Member

    May 26, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Pay them now so you can get your transcript out of hock.

    If you truly have a legitimate dispute, then negotiate later to get your money reimbursed.
  14. StudyShy

    StudyShy XOXO 10+ Year Member

    Apr 12, 2001
  15. LegendaryPunk

    LegendaryPunk Get Addicted 5+ Year Member

    Apr 4, 2011
    Bummer - that's a nice chunk of cash. Not enough to gamble your acceptance to med school though.

    I'm guessing that when the charge first appeared, you made some attempt to correct the error and have everything dropped, which further leads me to believe that this is not something that can be taken care of within a couple days by making some phone calls. Given that, you might just need to suck it up, pay the bill, and hope to get the charges reversed at a later date.
  16. QofQuimica

    QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting.... Lifetime Donor SDN Administrator 10+ Year Member

    OP, as others have pointed out, you are required to submit the transcript. I suggest that you pay the $2000 and consider it tuition to the School of Learning Things the Hard Way. We all have to pay off that school every now and then, and it can be painful as heck. But on the good side, it does make an impression on you where you're unlikely to ever repeat that mistake. :hungover:
  17. wholeheartedly

    wholeheartedly SDN Administrator 7+ Year Member

    Aug 8, 2009
    Beyond the Wall
    In jest, I don't suppose you could just ask them to please release it now for medical school apps and tell them you'll gladly pay them back when you start making your attending's salary ;-).

    Seriously though, you definitely need to include that transcript.
  18. ThreadStalker

    ThreadStalker Runnin' up on ya, I ain't gonna warn ya 5+ Year Member

    Mar 31, 2011
    Two thoughts:
    1) While $2000 right now may be a lot of money, you'll be missing out on a much much more in the long term if you don't pay it. Even if it delays your entrance by one year, you'll lose out on a full year's earnings as an attending later one. In ten years, it'll barely be a drop in the bucket by comparison.

    2) Fighting it in court or finding some way to make it through the application cycle without the transcript will result in you explaining the situation to other schools. Maybe they will be concerned with admitting a student currently involved in a legal dispute with another institution, or maybe they won't, but it will come up somehow. Fighting it now makes it a current issue, paying it now makes it a decade old issue. The process is competitive enough that you don't want to add any negative considerations that you can avoid.
    The application and interview process will easily cost you more than $2000, do you want to risk throwing that money away over this?

    Institutions aren't always right, but you just have to pick your battles. Good luck!
  19. startoverat40

    startoverat40 R1 Family Medicine 5+ Year Member

    Feb 11, 2011
    i'm still trying to appeal to their sense of decency and humanity. failing that, i will have to succumb to their sense of greed :(
  20. jd221b


    Mar 17, 2011
    You could try a daring night raid in a ninja suit.
  21. spicedmanna

    spicedmanna Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    OR, you can simply see it as a necessary investment in your dream. As others have said, a drop in the bucket. Most of my colleagues already owe in excess of $200K in loans.
  22. startoverat40

    startoverat40 R1 Family Medicine 5+ Year Member

    Feb 11, 2011
    score one for decency and humanity ! :)
    After pleading and begging and appealing to their highest authority, they forgave the balance on my account!!! :)

    I will make a phone call to them to thank them and I will donate to the alumni association :) :love:
  23. Prncssbuttercup

    Prncssbuttercup Established Member -- Family Medicine Resident 5+ Year Member

    NICE! Excelllllllllllent....
  24. mauberley

    mauberley radiating prestige 5+ Year Member

    Apr 13, 2009
    Urbs in Horto
    I like happy endings. :thumbup:

Share This Page