dajalyn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2002
WI
Visit site
Status
I'm sure you're all sick of the same question but I have to ask.

Do I have a chance??? Let me explain...

I attend Wellesley and I"ll be applying for med 2004. My pre-med advisor seems to think it unlikely I'll get into a medical school.

My cum gpa is 3.5 and science 3.33. I haven't taken the mcat yet but i'm studying all summer and taking it in april. I have excellent extracurriculars, excellent medical related work experience, and some volunteering. I"m an english major. I also fall into the disadvantaged category ( hate to admit it or use it but...).

Should I seriously give up or do you think my advisor is crazy (I'm thinking perhaps she may think I'm a lost cause as I clearly couldn't get into Harvard or something desired by my undergrad school as they typically get into Harvard)?

I"d hate to think I should give it all up but I've wanted to be a doctor since I was 8 years old and my grampa became one of the first 10 ppl in the country to receive an internal defibrilator.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I'd gladly take any medical school!!!

Suggestions to where I should apply (I'm from WI).

Thanks!

DarkChild

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
honestly - you'll be fine...
a couple things:
1) do well on the MCATs - I found a prep course very useful (Kaplan)
2) keep your grades up and show an improving trend. if you havent done that well in the sciences, take advanced bio classes and work your butt off - it'll also help on the MCATs
3) pad your GPA - find the classes that are reasonably easy, or the prof seems really uncomplicated.

all in all, no matter how the next couple of years turn out - there are more than enough medical schools that span the spectrum

chopsuey

miss independent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2002
good question.... ;)
Visit site
Status
hey...just wanted to say that you really just need to do your best on the MCAT and apply to a range of schools and you'll be fine. if you can raise your GPA, that would be an added plus, but you should focus ont aking advantage of the MCAT to show them what you've got. your pre-med advisor was probably just like mine in wanting to insure that you get in somewhere, and particularly somewhere good. mine encourages everyone to take a year off simply because the numbers are MUCH MUCH higher for acceptances after a year off and because it's supposedly a good chance to get some perspective before med school. that's just my $.02.... :)

About the Ads

Mutterkuchen

15+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2001
Omaha
Visit site
Status
My advisor also told me that my GPA was probably too low to apply to med school. I had a 3.5 science and 3.5 overall from no-name-state University. I wish I had not listened to him. I did not even give it a shot and my career took a different direction. I am now applying 6 years later, and regret not doing it sooner.

Don't give up. At least not yet. I agree with the others, do well on the MCAT and have good, interesting ECs and you should have a realistic chance.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2002
california
Visit site
Status
I think your advisor is a little crazy. You are not a sure bet for medical school, but if you do well on the MCAT and have good letters of recommendation there doesn't seem to be a reason you shouldn't get in somewhere. Apply to lots of schools -- some lower, some mid, and a few high tier. Do a search on SDN for lower tier schools to find out what they are. One in Wisconsin is Medical College of Wisconsin. However, I'm not sure they give any advantage to residents.
One thing you should think about is that you might not get as high of a committee recommendation as you might if you improved your GPA and took the year off. I don't know how Wellesley does the letter, but many schools rank their applicants or state whether they highly recommend the applicant or just recommend the applicant. If you have any desire to take a year off, I'd do it if I were you. It will give you an opportunity to raise your GPA and to have some fun and gain some perspective before hitting the books again. I've taken several years off and now realize it was the best thing I could've done. Good luck!

JessicaF

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Southern California
photos.yahoo.com
Status
Sometimes I have to question the motivations of people who become advisors..... are they just unhappy and bitter with their lives and want everyone they counsel to end up in the same boat?? (no offense to guidance counselors or advisors... a lot of them are real motivators and do a lot to help their students.... but some people are just downright mean and clueless.)

I agree with what the others have told you. Keep up your GPA, rock the MCAT, and focus on getting strong LORs and being significantly involved in a few activities that are meaningful to YOU.

When I was thinking about changing my major from Nursing to Biochem and pursuing a career in medicine, the advisor I went to told me that "not many folks in my shoes were successful going that route".... he thought that I should just stick the nursing and "see how that goes for a while longer"... also, I "lacked a strong scientific background" and was trying to transfer from a "lesser known undergrad"... which he did not feel would do much for my application. How I would love to go back to his office and show him my nice little pile of acceptance letters. I realize that sometimes they are just trying not to get your hopes up. After all, getting into med school isn't exactly a cake walk.... but there advice should also include some encouragement to folow your heart and your passion. If medicine is your calling, you will regret not going for it with all of your effort later on in life.

added bonus - you already have something interesting to talk about in your personal comments...

OP
D

dajalyn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2002
WI
Visit site
Status
Thanks for all the replies. I need some objective opinions. I particularly enjoyed the last post and I totally agree.

My high school advisor was horrible. I"m from WI and so naturally I took the ACT to apply to college. When I asked questions about the SAT he basically said I shouldn't bother. When I told him I wanted to attend Wellesley he told me I had no chance of getting in (even tho I had a 3.9, great recs, good ec).

The Wellesley premed lady is a very nice person but she can be very discouraging. Clearly I know I'd never get into Harvard but must she make me think I should just give up? She's stressed from being over-busy (she's also a Psyc prof).

I"m very impressed with your story. How on earth did you get into Johns Hopkins? I'm sure you must be like the perfect applicant. JH is my dream school.

About the Ads