One Okay MCAT Score on File, Re-take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

please_just_let_me_in

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Thank you in advance for all of your help and advice.
This is more of a "can I/can't I" type of question. I suspect that what I'm proposing is unadvisable, but I'd like to know if it's even possible.

I took the old MCAT last January, and got a 28 (10V, 10B, 8P/C). I'm currently registered to take the new exam on May 20th, but I'm pretty sure I will not be prepared to take it then.

The pre health advisor suggested that since I already have one score on record, I could submit my apps June 1st, and postpone my MCAT for a month (to June 18th).

My MCAT and application processing would be finished at approximately the same time and it wouldn't slow the app down too much. The key would be to apply to schools that wouldn't reject me at the outset with my current score/GPA combo.

My question is this: Could I apply to schools that would still send me secondaries with my current score (I'm a re-applicant, so I have a fairly good idea of which schools will send me secondaries), and push my exam back to August, and then submit applications to "harder" schools that might have rejected me quickly before the second score came in?

Or if I take this approach, will I not receive secondaries (or II) from ANY schools until that last score is in?

From the last cycle, I learned what a poor idea it is to wait to submit applications, but if it would be possible to take the two-pronged application approach I mentioned above, then I think that may be my best option.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem so I hope someone has some insight to offer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you take it on June 18th, they would get the scores around mid-July, which is still a reasonable time frame. I think they will send you secondaries but will hold off on interviews until they get the MCAT score.

If you take it on June 18th, they would get the scores around mid-July, which is still a reasonable time frame. I think they will send you secondaries but will hold off on interviews until they get the MCAT score.
This is quite unpredictable. Some schools will screen a complete application whether another MCAT is planned or not.