One quick question, would love some input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Japika

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As some may remember from my earlier posts I recently changed my plans from law school to medical school and in doing so I had to postpone graduation to finish my Organic Chem Lab and Bio Chem reqs.

Now, I was planing on just postponing a full year to also get my grades up. My GPA is currently a 3.3 Overall and 3.4 BCPM

I am doing my MCAT prep now and taking it in April, and I plan on applying this upcoming cycle.

My question is.

Since I can finish my reqs for my degree and pre med, should I just graduate at the end of the summer of 09, then get a job for the Fall and Spring, and focus on my interviews and stuff.

Would it even be possible to get a full time job, and still go to interviews?

Or, should I stay the whole extra year, graduate in Spring 2010, go through the interviews (if I get any in fall 09) and spend that whole extra year (will be full time) trying hard to get my grades up?

so again,

should I go ahead and graduate in summer 09 with a 3.3 OGPA 3.4 BCPM
or
Stay till spring 2010, and try to get my GPA up?

One more thing, If I was to stay that entire time, my class choices would be very limited. I couldn't do anything else in Chemistry or Physics, since I already have a minor in both. And a major in both would require me to back track some courses like calc and a different branch of physics.

I had got a C in Calc I (most in the class did so it wasn't entirely me) Should I just go for the Calc 2, and go for the major in Chem as well?

should I go for another minor in statistics (which I found very easy) to get both gpa's up. or something like philosophy, or business? Please, this aspect of it is really stressing me out.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible for you to just take additional coursework without declaring another major?

Now, I was planing on just postponing a full year to also get my grades up. My GPA is currently a 3.3 Overall and 3.4 BCPM

Or, should I stay the whole extra year, graduate in Spring 2010, go through the interviews (if I get any in fall 09) and spend that whole extra year (will be full time) trying hard to get my grades up?.

Stay, minor in something you like. There's got to be a humanities (philo?) that interests you through 6 classes. If the schools you're looking at want 2 calcs, do the calc2. otherwise, more stats is fine if you're interested. You really need a higher gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay, minor in something you like. There's got to be a humanities (philo?) that interests you through 6 classes. If the schools you're looking at want 2 calcs, do the calc2. otherwise, more stats is fine if you're interested. You really need a higher gpa.

yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

thanks

Yeah whimsicle, it's possible to take more courses without declaring another major, I just wasn't sure that would be the best thing to do.

As some may remember from my earlier posts I recently changed my plans from law school to medical school and in doing so I had to postpone graduation to finish my Organic Chem Lab and Bio Chem reqs.

I am doing my MCAT prep now and taking it in April, and I plan on applying this upcoming cycle.

My question is.

Since I can finish my reqs for my degree and pre med, should I just graduate at the end of the summer of 09, then get a job for the Fall and Spring, and focus on my interviews and stuff.

Would it even be possible to get a full time job, and still go to interviews?

Or, should I stay the whole extra year, graduate in Spring 2010, go through the interviews (if I get any in fall 09) and spend that whole extra year (will be full time) trying hard to get my grades up?

so again,

should I go ahead and graduate in summer 09 with a 3.3 OGPA 3.4 BCPM
or
Stay till spring 2010, and try to get my GPA up?

One more thing, If I was to stay that entire time, my class choices would be very limited. I couldn't do anything else in Chemistry or Physics, since I already have a minor in both. And a major in both would require me to back track some courses like calc and a different branch of physics.

I had got a C in Calc I (most in the class did so it wasn't entirely me) Should I just go for the Calc 2, and go for the major in Chem as well?

should I go for another minor in statistics (which I found very easy) to get both gpa's up. or something like philosophy, or business? Please, this aspect of it is really stressing me out.

You need to talk to an adviser who knows your situation better. The limited information you provide here cannot help anyone give you good advice. If you are going to stay you need to clearly find out exactly by how much your GPA will rise. If the rise is significant, then you can stay, if it is not, then it's time to move on - either get a good grade on the MCAT and apply this coming cycle (if you have good ECs) or decide what you must do to get your GPA up - you may need a full blown postbacc or an SMP (not likely though). If you figure that you are going to need something like postbacc, then it would probably fit you better to double major so that you can take those extra courses while an undergrad - but only if your schools is going to help you. Otherwise it probably doesn't matter whether you graduate or not. I know that public schools have funds for undergrad which they don't for graduates. Also spend the year getting research, volunteering, and other ECs. Don't waste a year in schools just to raise your GPA by something like 0.005.