One semester general bio course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quentin Quinn

Doctor of Love
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting a DIY postbacc journey this summer, and am debating taking general bio courses from two local institutions. One has a two-semester sequence, while the other is squeezed into a single semester.

Has anyone taken a one semester gen bio course? Did you feel it covered the material adequately, providing sufficient background for MCAT studying? I am strongly leaning toward the one-semester course, since it would enable me to take more upper division bio coursework and avoid the tedium of a full year of gen bio labs. Not to mention the short course is hosted by an academically stronger institution.

Oh yeah, and the single semester course is actually recommended by that school for premeds, so it isn't a "intro" type course... just in case anyone brings that up.

Members don't see this ad.

Quentin Quinn said:
I am starting a DIY postbacc journey this summer, and am debating taking general bio courses from two local institutions. One has a two-semester sequence, while the other is squeezed into a single semester.

Has anyone taken a one semester gen bio course? Did you feel it covered the material adequately, providing sufficient background for MCAT studying? I am strongly leaning toward the one-semester course, since it would enable me to take more upper division bio coursework and avoid the tedium of a full year of gen bio labs. Not to mention the short course is hosted by an academically stronger institution.

Oh yeah, and the single semester course is actually recommended by that school for premeds, so it isn't a "intro" type course... just in case anyone brings that up.

most of the time one semester bio courses deal with one part of general bio. For instance, my general bio course was more genetics, and the cell cycle. We did not have physiology.

I just finished Harvard Extension for the postbac program. Great program and Biology is totally wonderful. Dr. Fixen has been teaching for 20+ years and knows exactly how and what to teach. You could take the summer class and learn it all, though you would be tired. Note: find old exams if you take his class.