One semester organic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATORade

Retired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been frequenting this forum for quite some time now, but never really had an initiative to post. Most of my questions had been effectively answered in the archives. However, I don't recall ever reading anything about "one semester organic". I'm a little behind, and in order to be prepared for the April MCAT I must complete both Organics by the end of next semester. The only way to do this is by taking the one semester organic. Have any of you taken this class? I'm not even sure all Universities offer it. Anybody know if Medical Schools will even accept it? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you have to have 2 years or semesters of Organic... although my major only require the shortened version of only one semester organic.. my pre-med advisor advised me to take the 2 semester one... well.. if you really don't have time to take it ... you could do Org II during a summer session.... almost all the med schools require you to have 2 yrs and this only gonna help you on the MCATs...

Some medical schools will accept a one semester organic course as long as you take a semester of biochemistry. Some schools will mention this in their literature, others you'll have to call and ask. Some schools will require that you write a letter asking permission for the substitution...while some will just accept it. Although I have not talked to a school who will not take one semester organic/one semester biochem, there may be some. The best thing to do is to give the schools you are most interested in a call.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had planned to take both semesters of Organic before last August's MCAT. The class ended up being way too time-consuming and I ended up only taking the first semester and learning the second semester stuff on my own from the class textbook and Kaplan books. It's definitely not ideal, but I ended up doing fine.
Just another option to add to the confusion. ;)

It's good to see another gator here. There are a lot of us using SDN.

One-semester organic WILL NOT put you at a disadvantage when taking the MCAT. I enrolled in that course and scored a 10 on the bio section both times I took the exam. Dr. Deyrup is a great guy. Unlike most organic classes, you won't have to memorize a single mechanism!!! You will learn fundamentals that will help you approach any reaction appropriately.

If you take this class, however, you WILL have to take the bioorganic chemistry class that follows. This course is BRUTAL!!! There are a few instructors for it, unlike the one-semester organic class. I had Dr. Richards. Some people like the guy, but I didn't care too much for him. He hates pre-med students, berates people (he called a guy dog-face in my class) and makes people cry. During my final, at least three girls were crying. The class average at the end of the semester was a 44%! I know this because I was only slightly above it. If you choose to take the class with him as your instructor, prepare to work like you have never worked before. Chemistry is my major. I'd like to think that I am not stupid, and after reading each chapter three times I earned my only C.

Ok, enough with the bad memories. You'll have to take both classes before applying to med school. You should take both before taking the MCAT, though I think you might be able to do well without the bioorganic chem class. Good Luck!

Just a different perspective:
I had Deyrup and Nigel Richards and LOVED them both. They both have different methods of teaching but are just as effective. Plus they are available ALL DAY in their offices to answer any questions you might have. I got a B+ in both classes with a reasonable amount of effort.
PS: You learn just as much as regular Organic I & II in the one semester Organic Class.

Originally posted by AceUF78:
•I had Deyrup and Nigel Richards and LOVED them both.

I got a B+ in both classes with a reasonable amount of effort.•

Hmmm...

:D

Sorry Ace, I had to go there. Frightening!

You do have to admit that throwing a bell curve on an accelerated class (mine had an average GPA of ~3.7) is kinda messed up. At least Deyrup recognized this and created a fair grade distribution.

Originally posted by SwampMan:
[QB]If you take this class, however, you WILL have to take the bioorganic chemistry class that follows. This course is BRUTAL!!![QB]

I just checked last summer's course schedule, and unfortunately, Bioorganic is not offered in the summer. I was hoping to have all my course work done by then in order to begin my mandatory internship (Exercise Physiology Dept.) in the fall. Looks like my best bet would be to just go ahead and take Organic One and two separately - one in the fall, and the other in the summer. As a result, I guess I will be better prepared to take the MCAT in August as opposed to April. Thanks a lot for all of your feedback. This place is great. Oh yeah, one more thing for my fellow Gators…. How is our Pre-Med advisor??? Is he/she at all helpful?? Thanks again….

Originally posted by GATORaid:
•Oh yeah, one more thing for my fellow Gators…. How is our Pre-Med advisor??? Is he/she at all helpful?? Thanks again….•

Shekela is great! Very positive. I'd go to her.

We're losing Paul. I don't know when he is leaving.