One-time research meeting with a professor during clerkships

Dec 9, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I'd like to meet with a Professor to discuss research but am currently on my clerkships. This is likely a one-time meeting (a meeting that will recur less than once per 4-6 week clerkship block) and I was wondering if there is any way to politely make this meeting possible while still paying respect to my clinical duties?

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
It is hard to imagine that as an MS3 you are so busy that you can't figure out a way to setup a half hour meeting with someone. I mean if residents can, I'm sure you can. If not, you have bigger issues to attend to than trying to get involved with research.

Reactions: Merely

SplenoMegastar

MS4
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student
It is hard to imagine that as an MS3 you are so busy that you can't figure out a way to setup a half hour meeting with someone. I mean if residents can, I'm sure you can. If not, you have bigger issues to attend to than trying to get involved with research.
Students are nervous because they hear horror stories, hear residents talk about "the student who disappears" or is lazy behind their backs, so the fear can get a little irrational at times (although I actually think it's reasonable to be worried about perception.) Some residents also expect their students to sit at the computer next to them to be ready to help out without needing to track them down. Also reasonable in my mind. I think the OP should just tell their resident/attending that they are interested in doing research, but that they would like to set the meeting during business hours to avoid inconveniencing the researcher, and ask if there are any specific times to avoid. I once had two meetings during a 4 week rotation where most of our time was spent sitting in the residents room doing almost nothing and my resident told me "I had a lot of meetings for a med student." People can be weird.

Reactions: Burla

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Students are nervous because they hear horror stories, hear residents talk about "the student who disappears" or is lazy behind their backs, so the fear can get a little irrational at times (although I actually think it's reasonable to be worried about perception.) Some residents also expect their students to sit at the computer next to them to be ready to help out without needing to track them down. Also reasonable in my mind. I think the OP should just tell their resident/attending that they are interested in doing research, but that they would like to set the meeting during business hours to avoid inconveniencing the researcher, and ask if there are any specific times to avoid. I once had two meetings during a 4 week rotation where most of our time was spent sitting in the residents room doing almost nothing and my resident told me "I had a lot of meetings for a med student." People can be weird.
Logic jump from a planned 30 minute meeting and getting a rep for 'disappearing' is pretty darn hard. Talk about paranoia... Preparing for every single person around you to be completely irrational and becoming irrational as a result is going to significantly hamper anyone going through medical training.

Show up early, get whatever it is MS3s do at your institution done early, go to meeting. If you can schedule it for a time when things are typically slow (afternoons), then let people know and then go.

Reactions: Goro

swoopyswoop

5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
plan it in the afternoon because morning will likely involve rounds. tell your team hey i have a 30 min meeting with my research mentor this PM. go to meeting.