ONE WEIRD TRICK to know if an adcom has googled you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flapjack3d

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a coincidence, but it seems like a VERY BIG coincidence if it is one. If you set up an academia.edu profile page, it informs you whenever someone visits your profile (even if they don't have an account), where they came from (in the picture below it shows it came from a google search) and the city where the IP is from. I never get visits. Perhaps one a month. Never ever from the US. If I do get one, it's always from places like belgrade or a south asian country where my name is popular. But I got a few from Charlottesville (a city really only notable for UVA) just a day after receiving an II there! Clearly someone didn't just accidentally stumble onto my page, but was actually searching for information about me.
upload_2016-7-30_21-10-7.png

Could be an interesting experiment for any of you--- or maybe just another way to up your paranoia.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This might be a coincidence, but it seems like a VERY BIG coincidence if it is one. If you set up an academia.edu profile page, it informs you whenever someone visits your profile (even if they don't have an account), and the city where the IP is from. I never get visits. Perhaps one a month. Never ever from the US. If I do get one, it's always from places like belgrade or a south asian country where my name is popular. But I got a few from Charlottesville (a city really only notable for UVA) after receiving an II there! Clearly someone didn't just accidentally stumble onto my page, but was actually searching for information about me.
View attachment 207198

Could be an interesting experiment for any of you--- or maybe just another way to up your paranoia.
The title of this thread looks like it belongs on an ad on the side of a website.

Anyways, that's interesting and good to know.

Reactions: 5 users
This might be a coincidence, but it seems like a VERY BIG coincidence if it is one. If you set up an academia.edu profile page, it informs you whenever someone visits your profile (even if they don't have an account), and the city where the IP is from. I never get visits. Perhaps one a month. Never ever from the US. If I do get one, it's always from places like belgrade or a south asian country where my name is popular. But I got a few from Charlottesville (a city really only notable for UVA) after receiving an II there! Clearly someone didn't just accidentally stumble onto my page, but was actually searching for information about me.
View attachment 207198

How were you able to see the city they're from?

Edit: halp...what do I click on that site?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am living for the title of this thread because you unironically memed a meme

Reactions: 3 users
That's how the dankest memes work.

Reactions: 4 users
I am living for the title of this thread because you unironically memed a meme
why is everyone assuming this title was an accident? i was under the impression we were living in a post-meme meme-world where every meme is an ironic meme.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
You should do a research project on this! I'm sure it will impress the Adcoms.

this happened to me yesterday. They looked up my name from a city 5 miles away from the school I applied to. I'm an idiot lol I forgot to get rid of my stupid photos from a long time ago. Pretty sure they found my twitter, instagram, facebook, you name it. Getting ready for that rejection email on Monday

OP is gonna matriculate into Buzzfeed College of Clickbait Medicine

Here comes the neurotic threads lol.

"Someone viewed my academia.edu profile in NYC, does this mean I will get a II from Columbia?" "It's been 2 weeks since I submitted my secondaries and no one has viewed my profile, should I start making backup plans?"

It'll be cool to see if the trend continues.

Reactions: 5 users