flapjack3d

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2015
Status
Medical Student
This might be a coincidence, but it seems like a VERY BIG coincidence if it is one. If you set up an academia.edu profile page, it informs you whenever someone visits your profile (even if they don't have an account), where they came from (in the picture below it shows it came from a google search) and the city where the IP is from. I never get visits. Perhaps one a month. Never ever from the US. If I do get one, it's always from places like belgrade or a south asian country where my name is popular. But I got a few from Charlottesville (a city really only notable for UVA) just a day after receiving an II there! Clearly someone didn't just accidentally stumble onto my page, but was actually searching for information about me.
upload_2016-7-30_21-10-7.png

Could be an interesting experiment for any of you--- or maybe just another way to up your paranoia.

Last edited:

artist27

2+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
This might be a coincidence, but it seems like a VERY BIG coincidence if it is one. If you set up an academia.edu profile page, it informs you whenever someone visits your profile (even if they don't have an account), and the city where the IP is from. I never get visits. Perhaps one a month. Never ever from the US. If I do get one, it's always from places like belgrade or a south asian country where my name is popular. But I got a few from Charlottesville (a city really only notable for UVA) after receiving an II there! Clearly someone didn't just accidentally stumble onto my page, but was actually searching for information about me.
View attachment 207198

Could be an interesting experiment for any of you--- or maybe just another way to up your paranoia.
The title of this thread looks like it belongs on an ad on the side of a website.

Anyways, that's interesting and good to know.

keytonez

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
This might be a coincidence, but it seems like a VERY BIG coincidence if it is one. If you set up an academia.edu profile page, it informs you whenever someone visits your profile (even if they don't have an account), and the city where the IP is from. I never get visits. Perhaps one a month. Never ever from the US. If I do get one, it's always from places like belgrade or a south asian country where my name is popular. But I got a few from Charlottesville (a city really only notable for UVA) after receiving an II there! Clearly someone didn't just accidentally stumble onto my page, but was actually searching for information about me.
View attachment 207198

How were you able to see the city they're from?

Edit: halp...what do I click on that site?

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye on MD

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
Interesting. Maybe there's something to it, maybe not. Let us know if the pattern continues

Technology

Level: 25 HP: 90
2+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2015
München
Status
Pre-Medical
You should do a research project on this! I'm sure it will impress the Adcoms.

tuco's revenge

2+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
this happened to me yesterday. They looked up my name from a city 5 miles away from the school I applied to. I'm an idiot lol I forgot to get rid of my stupid photos from a long time ago. Pretty sure they found my twitter, instagram, facebook, you name it. Getting ready for that rejection email on Monday

Astra

5+ Year Member
May 27, 2012
Status
Podiatrist
OP is gonna matriculate into Buzzfeed College of Clickbait Medicine

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Here comes the neurotic threads lol.

"Someone viewed my academia.edu profile in NYC, does this mean I will get a II from Columbia?" "It's been 2 weeks since I submitted my secondaries and no one has viewed my profile, should I start making backup plans?"

It'll be cool to see if the trend continues.