one whole year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsmm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have an idea what can i do for a one whole year not doing anything until the next admission process starts..the time kills me!!!!!does anyone know of any online courses that can be helpful for my resume..
i am in a special situation because of the kids..and at first i waited for the bench exam..not any more..i am just thinking of any study that i can do at home until the next admission cycle..
any help is really appreciated

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Dental CE courses, both online or at a school or place near you.
2. Volunteering a couple times a week.
3. English classes (I'm not saying your English is bad, but I guess it won't hurt any of us non-natives to learn more grammar and composition).
4. Get involved in your local dental board (assuming you're not shy) and build a network of dentists friends. :D
5. Go shopping! :D

Hey meggs,
One more option...learn Spanish. By 2025 30% of the US population is going to be spanish speaking. i am doing that right now. Maybe when me meet i SF i will talk to you in spanish:D
Giffy

Members don't see this ad :)
hey giffy ;
where are you taking spanish lessons from? i wanted to take them since a long time but could not find any such basic course's

Hi Folks,
could you tell me how much time does it take(generally) to learn spanish.It never hurts to know more:)

thanks meggs, i was wondering if any one knows how much online courses are acceptable..i mean did anyone use them at any way.

i would like to know where i can learn spanish too! and how long does it take to learn the basics?

thanks

Yeah, it looks that I'm in the same boat... :(
Well here is what I'm going to do: work;
try to take GRE;
I e-mailed the research coordinator at the local dental school(the lousiest UNLV), for voulenteer work, no answer what so ever. I guess I'll need to meet her in person;
run applications as early as possible this time!

Oh, and why not spending two months on the beaches in Bulgaria?:D

Hey Ivan,
were you at Bu on Feb 26th?Your name sounded familiar..so i thought i'd get in touch with you.I was the girl from India who left early..was seated 3 places to your left.
Anyways(assuming you are the same person)..did i miss anything important?Guess the 'lunch with the dental student who was very late' and the finiancial talk session was pending when i left.Any news from them yet?Good luck.

Hey
I got a book and 2 cds and am learning spanish at home. My husband knows little bit and 2 of his friends are from Colombia so they are helping me learn spanish. Go to Barnes and Noble and pick up a book that suits your style of learning. Believe me its fun
Giffy

Originally posted by Giffy
2 of his friends are from Colombia so they are helping me learn spanish.

Colombian have the best accent, but Argentinians think otherwise. But don't beleive Argentinians, they beleive they're "all that".:rolleyes:

Originally posted by ivanBG
try to take GRE;

If you want to learn more about GRE you can visit www.princetonreview.com and clikc on "Graduate". There's even a messagge board. But not as useful as SDN, :D

I still cannot beleive how a guy with such amazing stats hasn't got into school yet. :( to which schools did you apply?

Ah, I just don't want to talk about that...

I'm still waiting for the results from the BU interview which was on the 2/26, but an insider told me that there are so few spots left, that most probably I'll need to wait a year.

How is it possible? Just had good cards in my hands, couldn't play the game...

oh, thanks for the info about GRE

Originally posted by ivanBG
How is it possible? Just had good cards in my hands, couldn't play the game...

Have you stoped to analyze what has kept you from getting in? I mean, if you have taken a cold look into your application packet and realized what has kept you away.

I'm sorry, but I'm just asking this, because I just cannot assimilate that you have been rejected just "because"...... don't you think there's something?? :confused: :(

About Spanish first-
Any community college near u would have spanish courses, which are good and affordable. I started with Absolute Beginners course, but didnt do my homework ie practise after the course!! but i still have my notes, some cassettes which can help.. after the first level u can go to the next if u are thorough with the first.. That will be worth it..
GRE-
Also, GRE is a full-time preparation, its a wonderful exam in the sense that it improves your vocab and gives u an idea of your writing skills.. the Maths part is really easy even for us.. I can give more info on GRE preparation if one is seriously interested in taking it. meanwhile general info can be found on www.gre.org.
Hope this helps!!!

hey guys. gre and spanish are very requested and i thibk i shall take them seriously, i think my english is far beyond the gre..i need massive preparation and vocabulary however in order to apply to any specialty its really requested.

I would like to learn Spanish as a 4th language .This is not because of job market,but I really like Spanish sooooooo much.I allways dreamed of learning it ,but never had the chance or time to do so .All I want is to be able to speak it & comunicate in it .

Originally posted by sam3
I would like to learn Spanish as a 4th language .This is not because of job market,but I really like Spanish sooooooo much.I allways dreamed of learning it ,but never had the chance or time to do so .All I want is to be able to speak it & comunicate in it .

where have you been buddy?you just disappeared.

begging for money .

Originally posted by meggs
Colombian have the best accent, but Argentinians think otherwise. But don't beleive Argentinians, they beleive they're "all that".:rolleyes:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My sanish prof Jorge, is an argentinian..lolol
I am learning spanish and I love the language. It's very simple, and its a very intelligent language, if you've spoken hindi in India, you will find the pronounciations easy. Spanish is a very phonetic language. Start learning and you can get meggs to tutor you along the way:D I've been testing most of my spanish on her, I'm sure its given her a good laugh :laugh:

Some interesting facts about Spanish
Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world (after Chinese and English), and it's the world's No. 2 language when only native speakers are counted.

Spanish and English are in a virtual dead heat to be the second most spoken language in the world. As of 1999, Spanish had 332 million speakers, while English had 322 million. They were far behind Chinese, with 885 million.

California alone has 5.5 million people who speaks Spanish at home. Other states with high Spanish-speaking populations include Texas (3.4 million), New York (1.8 million), and Florida (1.5 million).
I'm attaching the link to a site with some free spanish learning resources. Its quite nice. Enjoy
http://www.studyspanish.com/freesite.htm

Adios
Mrinalini

Originally posted by mrinalini
Some interesting facts about Spanish
Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world (after Chinese and English), and it's the world's No. 2 language when only native speakers are counted.

The deal with Spanish is that back in the colony days Spain made sure they killed and got rid of most of our Native American heritage and culture (incluiding languages). So all of us, descendants of the mixture of white Spanish, Indian natives and African slaves, had no other choice but to learn our ONLY language.

This all opposite from French, English and Portuguese colonies back in Africa and Asia. Where even tough they enforced their language, natives were able to keep theirs. That's why today those countries have several offical languages and natives speak more than one language.