mhondy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Status
I've seen some other threads on this topic, but I never really know how stringent this requirement is (for Duke, specifically). I took one semester of calc in college (umich) and I'm going to begin my post-bacc this summer. My dream school is Duke, which obviously has the one-year calc requirement. If I don't have a full year am I automatically taken out of the running? Should I enroll in a calc 2 class in addition to the other pre-reqs? I haven't taken calc since first semester of college (fall 1998), and I'm worried that the sequencing at another college may not coincide with the calc 1 and 2 sequence at umich. I'm fully willing to take more calc, I just don't want to waste my time if it's not completely necessary. Any suggestions/advice?

M

mynameistino

Some med schools have different requirements for admission. Some requires biochemistry and others dont. If duke requires calculus 2, then i guess you have to take it for admission. i've seen school requirements that only needs pre-calc for admission also.

XoQo

PGY1 Retractor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
call and ask -- depending on the school it may or may not be a rigid requirement. Depending on the year and the applicant pool, various items that are "required" may be used to screen applicants.

Safest thing is to take the course (especially if you can do well in it).

as for the math sequencing -- write to a professor (or call) who teaches calc I at where you will do your postbac. Ask to see a copy of their syllabus from last year to see how far they went -- and then you can judge whether or not you've covered it when you took Calc I in 1998.

best of luck!

Soleilpie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Florida
Status
I contacted Duke via email a few months ago. Per their response precalculus can count as one of the semesters. So, precalc & Calc 1 should be enough. I would make sure about that though. If you find out anything differently, please let us know. :)

g3pro

Dr. Mogley
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2003
Status
Calculus 2 is so ridiculously unneeded for medical school, it's a wonder why they would require it.

XoQo

PGY1 Retractor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
g3pro said:
Calculus 2 is so ridiculously unneeded for medical school, it's a wonder why they would require it.
same could be said for much of organic chem (not all of it ..but most). =)

g3pro

Dr. Mogley
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2003
Status
XoQo said:
same could be said for much of organic chem (not all of it ..but most). =)
Organic I synthesis is obviously not needed. It builds up for Biochemistry/Organic Chemistry II, which is critical for biological systems.