One year Masters Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking but I can't find a listing of schools that offer a one year master program. I was just wondering if anyone knew where to find this information.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

MEng (Master of Engineering) is only one year. Cornell offers this. I can tell you more if you're interested. You have to take the GRE unless you're a Cornell undergrad. I knew a girl who was a bio major and decided to pursue MEng in bioenginnering. I was accepted to the Bioengineering program but took a leave of absence to do research.

Thanks for the info but that really isn't my thing. Engineering has math in it, I'm a bio major because numbers scare me :D. Thanks anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I just finished my masters in Bioethics - really relevant to medical stuff. I got my degree at Case Western Reserve in Cleveland. I think it helped my application a lot and I was able to make a lot of good contacts and learn a great deal about medicine today. The degree includes 200 clinical hours at area hospitals (going on rounds, attending conferences, etc...) and as a premed student it was awesome! I highly recommend it. If you want more info, it's on www.cwru.edu - go to the medical school admissions area (the program is based out of the medical school) and find the list of departments. :)

PalCareGrl,
That program sounds pretty intersting since I have a minor in philosophy. Do you think that a bioethic MA is as benifitial as say a MA in Medical sciences for getting into medical school?

I would say that if your undergrad science grades are good, then it would be worth it, but if you're looking to raise the science GPA, then this major won't do it (it's all humanities classes - law, anth, phil, etc...)

I found that the program gave me much to talk about in my interviews, and it even allowed for me to shadow a DO (at the hospice we were assigned to) while completing my clinical hours. As I said before, the clinical is great - if you need more medically related experience, this is definitely a great program. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to email me: [email protected] (but I'm leaving tomorrow for a week, so I can't write you back until I get into town). :)

Johns Hopkins School of Public Health offers several one-year Masters degrees, including an MPH and an MHS (which I myself earned during the year before medical school). The school is terrific, and there are quite a few different majors, including Reproductive Biology, Population Dynamics, and Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, which was my chosen major. Check it out. Good luck! :D