One Year MCAT Plan While in Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tri99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am preparing to start a one year career changer Post-Bacc program this upcoming semester. During this program I will be taking all of the science and math prerequisites for med school with the addition of genetics and biochem. I understand that my #1 priority during this time is completing my courses with good grades and that will be my major focus during this program. However, I figure that since I will be taking all of the courses needed for the MCAT during this year-long program staying fresh and retaining this information will be beneficial for taking the MCAT after I finish.

Does anyone have any advice or experience doing something like this? Would you recommend going back and reviewing old material once a week while using the rest of the week to learn new information, or focusing solely on new courses and wait to study for the MCAT at the end of program?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am preparing to start a one year career changer Post-Bacc program this upcoming semester. During this program I will be taking all of the science and math prerequisites for med school with the addition of genetics and biochem. I understand that my #1 priority during this time is completing my courses with good grades and that will be my major focus during this program. However, I figure that since I will be taking all of the courses needed for the MCAT during this year-long program staying fresh and retaining this information will be beneficial for taking the MCAT after I finish.

Does anyone have any advice or experience doing something like this? Would you recommend going back and reviewing old material once a week while using the rest of the week to learn new information, or focusing solely on new courses and wait to study for the MCAT at the end of program?

Thanks
Quick Edit, either way I will be taking ample time at the end of the program to study. Just wondering on whether to incorporate MCAT studying into the program.

Nope, nope, nope. If you can, do all your studying in a dedicated prep period.

Well, it depends on what "ample time" is. I always give 14 weeks as a base time period for dedicated content review and practice exams. For every week you don't have to dedicate to MCAT prep, take three weeks of part time studying (2 hours a day).

So for example, if you only have 10 weeks for dedicated MCAT prep, then 4x3 = 12 = 3 months of part time studying (2 hrs per day, 6 days a week) + 10 weeks dedicated prep.

Again this is such a generic rule of mine, and YMMV greatly.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope, nope, nope. If you can, do all your studying in a dedicated prep period.

Well, it depends on what "ample time" is. I always give 14 weeks as a base time period for dedicated content review and practice exams. For every week you don't have to dedicate to MCAT prep, take three weeks of part time studying (2 hours a day).

So for example, if you only have 10 weeks for dedicated MCAT prep, then 4x3 = 12 = 3 months of part time studying (2 hrs per day, 6 days a week) + 10 weeks dedicated prep.

Again this is such a generic rule of mine, and YMMV greatly.

Well this is where my problem is. I would like to apply during the 2019-2020 cycle, however my program does not end until May 2019. I understand this is a marathon not a sprint so I will not be taking the MCAT if I don't feel prepared. From what I have read through other forums late May - Mid June is the latest one should take the MCAT to not be behind in the application process. I'm just not sure this timeline is feasible even if I did MCAT prep throughout the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me pivot here a little and ask what the rest of your app looks like? Do you have the non-clinical volunteer work, shadowing, hospital volunteer work, etc necessary for a successful application? If not, then that may be ground to consider delaying another cycle.

You also stated it's a career change for you, what was your previous/current career?

Let me pivot here a little and ask what the rest of your app looks like? Do you have the non-clinical volunteer work, shadowing, hospital volunteer work, etc necessary for a successful application? If not, then that may be ground to consider delaying another cycle.

You also stated it's a career change for you, what was your previous/current career?

So I am currently a senior finishing up my lest semester of undergraduate work in a business-related degree. I have worked as a certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor for the previous 2 years which is what really opened my eyes and showed me that health professions are more my passion than business administration.

I started shadowing physical therapists at the beginning of January and accumulated roughly 30 hours of shadowing hours there before getting my first opportunity to shadow a physician. Since that time i have accumulated 45 hours shadowing physicians in primary care and ortho. The post-bacc program requires 200 clinical volunteer hours so I will be receiving a minimum 200 additional hours.

As far as non-clinical volunteer work I have roughly 40 hours volunteering for an athletic league for individuals with disabilities, 10 hours volunteering with special olympics, and 10 hours volunteering as a mentor at a local underprivileged elementary school.

During this post-bacc program I am cutting way back on personal training to focus solely on academics, clinical exposure, and a little bit of non-clinical volunteering where I can. I feel as if a 3.70+ post-bacc / science GPA, 3.60-3.80 undergraduate / cumulative GPA, and my experiences would make me competitive enough to apply during the 2019-2020 cycle if I have a competitive MCAT score to match.

I know this is a very very rough game-plan that is reliant on quite a few contingencies, but I am open to any and all advice on a MCAT study plan or other ways to make my application more competitive.

So I am currently a senior finishing up my lest semester of undergraduate work in a business-related degree. I have worked as a certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor for the previous 2 years which is what really opened my eyes and showed me that health professions are more my passion than business administration.

Awesome. With a focus on primary care, fitness background will work well in this burgeoning era of preventative medicine. Business-related degree can be a plus if you show interest in health administration down the read.

Since that time i have accumulated 45 hours shadowing physicians in primary care and ortho.

How is this time structured? Adcoms tend to prefer longer batches of hours. For example, shadowing a primary care from 8-5, twice per week over a month or two (150 hours) is much better than 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 12 months (500 hours). The reason being is that shadowing goes beyond observing the doctor-patient interaction, it's also about understanding the daily rigors and demands of the physician's lifestyle, and when you fill out your primary, the schools will be looking for this understanding when you write about your shadowing experience. Also, see if you can diversify. Get that 8-5 from a primary care, but spend some time with other docs, like pediatrics, geriatrics, cardiology, gastro, etc.

The post-bacc program requires 200 clinical volunteer hours so I will be receiving a minimum 200 additional hours.

As far as non-clinical volunteer work I have roughly 40 hours volunteering for an athletic league for individuals with disabilities, 10 hours volunteering with special olympics, and 10 hours volunteering as a mentor at a local underprivileged elementary school.

During this post-bacc program I am cutting way back on personal training to focus solely on academics, clinical exposure, and a little bit of non-clinical volunteering where I can.

Your non-clinical volunteer work looks solid, and a good departure from the usual soup kitchen/homeless outreach things I usually see. If you can at least double (pref triple) those hours over the next year, I think it'll be really solid.
See if you can volunteer at some local hospitals or senior living facilities. You're looking to focus on patient interaction, so pushing wheelchairs and assisting the elderly would work well here. Cleaning gurneys not so much.

I feel as if a 3.70+ post-bacc / science GPA, 3.60-3.80 undergraduate / cumulative GPA, and my experiences would make me competitive enough to apply during the 2019-2020 cycle if I have a competitive MCAT score to match.

You're absolutely correct here. That's a very strong GPA, and with an MCAT of maybe 508-515 would net you a lot of interviews.

One of the things I would recommend is work on your primary application. While you're not looking to apply this upcoming cycle, I would say you should go through the process of creating the AMCAS account and starting to fill up the application. It's free to fill out, and you can get a feel for what the application is requiring, especially when it comes to the EC portion. You can start planning out how to list and catagorize your ECs and what to write about them. You get to select which ones are most meaningful, and tell a short story about each one that needs to be strong and impactful.

I went to a school that was on a trimester system, so I had to deal with that while inputting my transcript grades. Practicing helped make it go easier the second time around because I didn't have to look up how to fill each box out.

You also get a chance to start thinking about and writing your personal statement. You ideally want to have this done by next spring so it can be edited thoroughly by people who are qualified to edit med school application personal statements before May.

Also, your AMCAS account is ready for when it comes time to sign up for an MCAT in October.

Another thing is to sign up for an MSAR account and start researching prospective schools. Most apply to at least 20, many up to 30-40, some up to 50 (if you have $2000 to blow on primaries). Secondaries can range from $50-100 each, sometimes more. Med school apps are very expensive, which is why I recommend many to try and nail this process the first time around, even if it means taking another gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome. With a focus on primary care, fitness background will work well in this burgeoning era of preventative medicine. Business-related degree can be a plus if you show interest in health administration down the read.

How is this time structured? Adcoms tend to prefer longer batches of hours. For example, shadowing a primary care from 8-5, twice per week over a month or two (150 hours) is much better than 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 12 months (500 hours). The reason being is that shadowing goes beyond observing the doctor-patient interaction, it's also about understanding the daily rigors and demands of the physician's lifestyle, and when you fill out your primary, the schools will be looking for this understanding when you write about your shadowing experience. Also, see if you can diversify. Get that 8-5 from a primary care, but spend some time with other docs, like pediatrics, geriatrics, cardiology, gastro, etc.

Your non-clinical volunteer work looks solid, and a good departure from the usual soup kitchen/homeless outreach things I usually see. If you can at least double (pref triple) those hours over the next year, I think it'll be really solid.
See if you can volunteer at some local hospitals or senior living facilities. You're looking to focus on patient interaction, so pushing wheelchairs and assisting the elderly would work well here. Cleaning gurneys not so much.

You're absolutely correct here. That's a very strong GPA, and with an MCAT of maybe 508-515 would net you a lot of interviews.

One of the things I would recommend is work on your primary application. While you're not looking to apply this upcoming cycle, I would say you should go through the process of creating the AMCAS account and starting to fill up the application. It's free to fill out, and you can get a feel for what the application is requiring, especially when it comes to the EC portion. You can start planning out how to list and catagorize your ECs and what to write about them. You get to select which ones are most meaningful, and tell a short story about each one that needs to be strong and impactful.

I went to a school that was on a trimester system, so I had to deal with that while inputting my transcript grades. Practicing helped make it go easier the second time around because I didn't have to look up how to fill each box out.

You also get a chance to start thinking about and writing your personal statement. You ideally want to have this done by next spring so it can be edited thoroughly by people who are qualified to edit med school application personal statements before May.

Also, your AMCAS account is ready for when it comes time to sign up for an MCAT in October.

Another thing is to sign up for an MSAR account and start researching prospective schools. Most apply to at least 20, many up to 30-40, some up to 50 (if you have $2000 to blow on primaries). Secondaries can range from $50-100 each, sometimes more. Med school apps are very expensive, which is why I recommend many to try and nail this process the first time around, even if it means taking another gap year.

Thank you for the insight! Always helpful to hear people's opinions who have been down this road before. So really from what I can gather from all of your advice, this upcoming year I need to:
A) Focus on nailing the Post-Bacc coursework above all.
B) Acquire as many quality clinical shadowing hours as possible in a broad range of settings/specialties
C) Continue obtaining volunteer hours both with patient interaction as well as in my specific areas of interest that aren't medical related.
D) Study for the MCAT during the program as long as it is not detrimental to A-C, and if it is then hold off until the end of the program and most likely take a gap year to focus solely on the MCAT and hopefully paid clinical experience.

Thank you for the insight! Always helpful to hear people's opinions who have been down this road before. So really from what I can gather from all of your advice, this upcoming year I need to:
A) Focus on nailing the Post-Bacc coursework above all.
B) Acquire as many quality clinical shadowing hours as possible in a broad range of settings/specialties
C) Continue obtaining volunteer hours both with patient interaction as well as in my specific areas of interest that aren't medical related.
D) Study for the MCAT during the program as long as it is not detrimental to A-C, and if it is then hold off until the end of the program and most likely take a gap year to focus solely on the MCAT and hopefully paid clinical experience.

And I could not agree more regarding nailing it the first time. From someone who has been taught to analyze opportunity costs and time value of money I understand the importance of getting in as soon as possible. However, I feel as if the only thing worse than taking a gap year to get in is rushing the MCAT and being permanently stuck with a sub-par score on your record, paying thousands of dollars on applications, and then still having to take a gap year to get in.

Reactions: 1 user