ONE YEAR OFF? WHAT TO DO? SUGGESTIONS? GAP YEAR.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MambaTime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched this site a lot and found a lot of help regarding what to do for a year off. I also want to work for the year off and make some $$$, if you know what debt is :(

So right now my plan was to take a study abroad trip (2 weeks). After that, work Monday-Friday (Not dental related), but i also wanted to do a dental assistant program, that only meets on Saturdays and is about 3 months long. Does this sound like a good plan? So for the remainder of the year i can gain experience working as a dental assistant, while applying in July.

I am also taking other suggestions on what to do, just keeping an open mind. If there are people that have taken a year off, i would also like to hear what you did! (If you don't mind).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What's your major and do you have any research/lab experience? Regardless, I would get in touch with your school's career development center and see if they can help you with a CV or resume for some jobs

What's your major and do you have any research/lab experience? Regardless, I would get in touch with your school's career development center and see if they can help you with a CV or resume for some jobs

I am a biology major, with a business minor and Chemistry minor (If that makes any difference), I have lab experience through undergraduate courses that is about it. I was really not interested in lab research much as an undergraduate, i did a self-research capstone that did not require lab work, so i had a semester worth of research that was not lab related.

Will working in a lab be a good option? I wanted to work somewhere non-science related such as transportation/logistics just to try something different.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a biology major, with a business minor and Chemistry minor (If that makes any difference), I have lab experience through undergraduate courses that is about it. I was really not interested in lab research much as an undergraduate, i did a self-research capstone that did not require lab work, so i had a semester worth of research that was not lab related.

Will working in a lab be a good option? I wanted to work somewhere non-science related such as transportation/logistics just to try something different and pay is a little bit better.

Will working in a lab be a good option? I wanted to work somewhere non-science related such as transportation/logistics just to try something different.
I am currently in a gap year and I didn't want to work in a lab. I regret not working in a one, but oh well. I found lab jobs pay much better than most of our options. They also have good hours

I worked and saved up some money, I think it's a pretty good idea. The dental assisting program on the weekends sounds fine too. But take some time for yourself to relax as well because once you start dental school, free time tends to get cut down severely.

Last edited:
Take free time for yourself, as @FeralisExtremum said and volunteer + shadow. Research would also be good, but I'm not sure how your school works. Saving the $$$$ will end up being a great decision in the long run.

Good luck! :)

-Fyz

If you want to work for a pharmaceutical in your gap, beware... If you've done research in UG it will be nothing like that. If you even manage to find a half-decent opportunity, it will more than likely be on the routine testing side of things due to your lack of experience (high throughput, complete opposite of R&D). Which means repeatedly testing the same assay/DP over and over again... Requiring no real understanding of the biology behind anything that you're working with. It's quite monotonous and is kind of a shame considering how creative you can be doing research in UG. Essentially it feels like you're flipping burgers at a McD's, except you have a B.S.. You will also quickly begin to realize how many of your cohorts hate their lives, and do nothing except complain, lol.

Edit: but on the flip side you get paid, get full benefits, and you get experience working a "real" job, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Travel, travel, travel!
see the world, this could be your only chance before starting dental school!

Travel, travel, travel!
see the world, this could be your only chance before starting dental school!

Yes, i will be traveling to Europe for two weeks!
But i also want to do something that might help me in my application if i happen to not get in this year, i know you always have to hope high but at the same time i want to do something that might be productive and help enhance my application for next cycle (Just in case), so thats why i was thinking to do the dental assistant program? Or should i be doing something else to enhance my application besides traveling?

Yes, i will be traveling to Europe for two weeks!
But i also want to do something that might help me in my application if i happen to not get in this year, i know you always have to hope high but at the same time i want to do something that might be productive and help enhance my application for next cycle (Just in case), so thats why i was thinking to do the dental assistant program? Or should i be doing something else to enhance my application besides traveling?

I would also suggest you do more volunteering, how about a trip outside the united states to help people ( *but never related to dental stuff, that is never a good thing* just general relief trip like the ones with Red Cross when catastrophes hit), I would be a member to red cross and do stuff in my states, that will look good on your application)
I remember when the flood hit the south, they offered 2 weeks trip to help people in there, but I had school I couldn't go with them.

The dental assistant program is a great idea.
Because you get acquainted with the practice
you get paid and know more about office management. ( this will be a good thing even during the summer of your dental year, you can work as an assistant for 2 months)

I also suggest you take some business classes at a community college to make you more acquainted on how to run your own business for future ( when hopefully ou graduate from dental schools) many of the dentists I shadowed suggested I do that.

I would also suggest you do more volunteering, how about a trip outside the united states to help people ( *but never related to dental stuff, that is never a good thing* just general relief trip like the ones with Red Cross when catastrophes hit), I would be a member to red cross and do stuff in my states, that will look good on your application)
I remember when the flood hit the south, they offered 2 weeks trip to help people in there, but I had school I couldn't go with them.

The dental assistant program is a great idea.
Because you get acquainted with the practice
you get paid and know more about office management. ( this will be a good thing even during the summer of your dental year, you can work as an assistant for 2 months)

I also suggest you take some business classes at a community college to make you more acquainted on how to run your own business for future ( when hopefully ou graduate from dental schools) many of the dentists I shadowed suggested I do that.

I will look into the Red Cross volunteering.
I will most likely do the dental assistant program, as i really see it helping me experience wise. In case i do not get into Dental school, i can work and gain experience first hand.
Concerning the business classes, i am a business minor so i have taken a bunch of business courses already for my undergrad. Not sure if that helps with the business side of things, but i sure found out some things i did not know.

Work. Can't travel if you want to save money.... Travel if and when you get into dental school. In the mean time, just work.

Work. Can't travel if you want to save money.... Travel if and when you get into dental school. In the mean time, just work.

Yes traveling to Europe for two weeks right after graduation!
Then i will most likely work.

Does anybody have experience with these private 12 week dental assistant programs? Not sure if it will be worth the price (2k-3k)? or should i just try to find a dentist who is willing to give me some work.