One Year Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate some advise. I will be graduating with a non-science degree with a pre-med concentration in May. I decided late in the game to pursue medicine so I will complete my pre-med requirements and take the MCAT Spring semester. I have ample volunteer experience, both medically related and otherwise. My question is this: Should I pursue a science degree during the year that my application goes through, or should I pursue employment. What will matter more to an AdComm the maturity it takes to hold down a career, or upper level science courses. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When I start med school next fall, it will have been two years since i have been in a degree program. I saw the time between undergrad and med school as a chance to relax and spend time with family and friends, basically a time to do things that I won't have time to do when in med school. Since I already work at a doctor's office, and have had a little sister through Big Brothers Big Sisters, I didn't have to spend this time getting more clinical/volunteer experience. At my interviews, I was asked about the time off, and I simply told them that I wanted some time to myself before applying. This may seem lazy and unambitious to some, but to me I have made the best possible use of my extra time. I could have spent the year polishing my application, but I preferred to polish my personal relationships. One interviewer asked if I didn't get in, would I wish I had done more during the interim time, and I said I think before I act, and I won't regret my decision. I've received several acceptances, and my unambitious, carefree year off hasn't seemed to affect my applications one bit. Sure, if you feel that there are areas of weakness in your application, it's nice to have time to work on that. But if you feel that you already have a strong application, try not to feel that you have to spend your year off gunning for admission. Have some fun. You only live once
smile.gif

There is always room for improvement. If you "love" medicine and really want to be a doctor then admissions people will see what you will do in youir time. Taking classes may be helpful just to get you prepared for medical school because the pre recs will not cut it. Also, doing a job in a service industry will highlight your wanting to help people