premedrod

youtube ruined my apps
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
so i was wondering, if i had a professor write me a letter of rec during this coming fall, but i ended up not applying in 2009, can i still use this for 2010 or will it look bad/old in the admissions committee's eyes? since my professor recently retired, she said that she's only going to write LORs for students during the fall and that'll be it....

i was just wondering what other people would do in this situation or what happens...like do i need an updated LOR or do most professors write a letter that cant be shown when it was written...

she's the only professor that'll write me one here at my graduating institution (uc davis), but i also have one from my community college i transferred from...i know it's good to have one from a university so im stressin a little about this.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
An LOR dated the previous year is acceptable.
Hmmm, my advisor told me the opposite. I would contact your pre-med advisor about this. Then if it comes up during an interview you can blame him/her. :laugh:

akzeno

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
WI
Status
Pre-Medical
1 year is fine. It would be better than asking a professor a year later after you took the class.

thesecretgarden

10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
I also have a 1 year old letter. My advisor said 1 year is fine, but if it is 2 years old or more, you should ask for updated letters.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
I was a re-applicant. By the time I got in some of my letters were multiple years old. This is just fine. Don't sweat it.

(you should have some current letters, but don't sweat it if one of them is old)

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
My adviser told me its not a good idea. However, all I did was contact those who wrote me LORs and asked them to change the date and maybe add a sentence or two. They all had no problem with it.

Edit: Then again, my adviser was a huge idiot. So believe what you want.

jebus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
Status
i used multiple 5 year old LORs. you'll be ok.
but i'm a charming person.
the prosecutor in my case says i'm a "stalker". whatever, i'm sure we mean the same thing.