Online Animal Nutrition Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idigapony70

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to take an online nutrition course to fulfill the requirements for Oklahoma State. I was thinking about taking the OK state online course, but before I make a large financial investment into an online course, I was hoping to hear your opinions and experiences with these courses. I hear great things about Purdue, but at 1400 dollars, it's a little out of my price range...

On a similar note, how heavy are these classes? I was hoping to take and finish this course before I send in my applications. That gives me from mid-June to about September. Is this do-able? I would be filling in my applications and doing 40 hours a week of independent research during the summer, but I feel that if I can complete the course and add it to my GPA it could strengthen my application. Currently, I am around 3.1, and with a continued strong performance this quarter and next, I should stand at 3.25. I am hoping the course can push me to a 3.3. Probably not much of a difference, but it might help. Your opinions are all really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at some of these old threads to answer your question - you can do a search in the pre-vet forum for Animal Nutrition and find more, probably, but here's a few:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=859787&highlight=animal+nutrition
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=845346&highlight=animal+nutrition
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=812134&highlight=animal+nutrition
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=345166&highlight=animal+nutrition

I took Purdue's course last spring, before the price went up astronomically, and really liked it. Very manageable and the instructor is great.

I am taking mine right now through Purdue. Yes, the price is not ideal, but all of the content is online through blackboard and in the book. It's a pretty simple, basic course that can be done with at LEAST 50 hours of studying, per the instructor. You work at your own pace and take the exams when you want to. Kind of nice, but also easy to procrastinate. I definitely think you could do it between mid-June and September. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took mine through Kansas State. It was like maybe $1200, so still expensive, but I think it's only offered in the fall (starting in August) and the Spring, so it probably won't help you out that much. I thought it was pretty easy and the professor responded right away to any questions I had. I was going to do the Purdue one because I had heard great things about it, but since I found this one to be a little cheaper, I went with it.

I did NCSUs comparative nutrition one. It was really good. I think around 1000. Didn't need a textbook at all.

I am currently taking OK State's right now. The price wasn't bad (a little over $700 I think) and they claim it can be done in 6-8 weeks. There are 13 assignments and 5 exams (that you have to have proctored). You can complete it by then if you are on your game, but keep in mind there is waiting for exams to come in the mail. I think the course is fair so far and the tests are multiple choice/ true, false. I would recommend it for sure!

I finished Rutgers' in the fall. It's structured, so you need to take tests at certain times. Pretty easy class--if you take notes from the textbook, you should get an A. Professor is super nice as well. The tests are online and technically open book, but they're timed so you need to take good notes.

It doesn't look like this class is required for Davis...am I missing something??

Also, do vet schools consider online classes comparable to on campus? Wish I could finish my b.s online but doubt it would look good

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

I'm finding it extremely difficult to get accurate cost of attendance for these online courses. Only Purdue really gives a flat out cost while others are "$X per credit hour"

If you took an online nutrition course RECENTLY, what did you pay overall?

I'm finding it extremely difficult to get accurate cost of attendance for these online courses. Only Purdue really gives a flat out cost while others are "$X per credit hour"

I took the course through Kansas State. The course itself cost $1,257.40 plus $25 per test because I had to take it an accepted testing center. There were three tests so it was an additional $75 plus I guess whatever it took in gas to get to the place since it was like 30 minutes away.

ETA: The cost per test may vary depending on where you take it. I think there was an option to buy a program from the school called U Proctor that allowed you to take the test at home and I think that was $40 but I didn't trust my camera to hold a connection long enough for the test so I searched to find a place that was cheapest for me to take it at.

Last edited:

For these, just multiply the per credit hour by the number of hours the nutrition course is; generally three, maybe sometimes four? hours. I paid roughly ~$500 for my online nutrition course (same as foxhunter, ANS 400 through NCSU) about two years ago, it's now like $560 for in-state, $1,083 out.

I just finished the kansas state one, its a really good course and the professor explains stuff really well. Id recommend it

I think OK state was $710.25... and I'm not trying to be an *ss :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to remember exactly but I think it was $690 something plus shipping which was $20.25.
I haven't taken a test yet, but someone else told me you can use a librarian and not pay money. Otherwise, yeah it's like $25 a test to have it proctored.

But I paid for the class last september so I'm not sure how much it's gone up. :confused:

And you have 52 weeks to complete it.
I'm on week 32 and haven't even started :laugh::scared: but I know a few people who have gotten it done within one month.

Also, after the first test, you can start taking multiple tests at once, so that can cut down on your costs. :thumbup:

I took the course through Kansas State. The course itself cost $1,257.40 plus $25 per test because I had to take it an accepted testing center. There were three tests so it was an additional $75 plus I guess whatever it took in gas to get to the place since it was like 30 minutes away.

ETA: The cost per test may vary depending on where you take it. I think there was an option to buy a program from the school called U Proctor that allowed you to take the test at home and I think that was $40 but I didn't trust my camera to hold a connection long enough for the test so I searched to find a place that was cheapest for me to take it at.

And as an FYI to anyone curious, U proctor was actually really easy and cost a few bucks less than having it proctored. (I used it for my biochem class). I was also a little worried about my connection screwing up, but it never did in 4 tests. :thumbup:

I signed up for the OK State class in March and it was 538$ without the textbook. I found the book for cheap (like 15$) on amazon so I opted not to buy it new through the school.

I'm trying to remember exactly but I think it was $690 something plus shipping which was $20.25.
I haven't taken a test yet, but someone else told me you can use a librarian and not pay money. Otherwise, yeah it's like $25 a test to have it proctored.

But I paid for the class last september so I'm not sure how much it's gone up. :confused:

And you have 52 weeks to complete it.
I'm on week 32 and haven't even started :laugh::scared: but I know a few people who have gotten it done within one month.

Also, after the first test, you can start taking multiple tests at once, so that can cut down on your costs. :thumbup:

I had asked about using a librarian for mine, and the school said they no longer allowed it. So for anyone considering that, I'd double check with your school.

I had asked about using a librarian for mine, and the school said they no longer allowed it. So for anyone considering that, I'd double check with your school.

Yeah it definitely depends on the school! :thumbup:

I took my nutrition course through Rutgers. Technically the exams were open-notebook. Some of the questions were tough and you really had to read the book, but other than that, easy A :D

thanks so much for your input everyone! i think i'm gonna shoot for OK state due to finances.

For these, just multiply the per credit hour by the number of hours the nutrition course is; generally three, maybe sometimes four? hours. I paid roughly ~$500 for my online nutrition course (same as foxhunter, ANS 400 through NCSU) about two years ago, it's now like $560 for in-state, $1,083 out.

Fox or Trilt (or anyone else who took Nutrition thru NCSU)...
Is this the class taught by Jim Croom? How is the workload? I'm deciding between ANS 230 and ANS 415 (Croom's course) and, although I'm really interested in the subject matter, I'd prefer to take the one with the lighter workload since I work a full-time job and volunteer on the weekends.

Thanks!

Fox or Trilt (or anyone else who took Nutrition thru NCSU)...
Is this the class taught by Jim Croom? How is the workload? I'm deciding between ANS 230 and ANS 415 (Croom's course) and, although I'm really interested in the subject matter, I'd prefer to take the one with the lighter workload since I work a full-time job and volunteer on the weekends.

Thanks!

Yeah, I took Dr. Crooms'. I found it really quite easy; I can't say I have an in-depth understanding of nutrition after taking the course, but I was a really really ****ty student (working three jobs, 19 hours) the semester I took it, crammed most of the lectures into the 24 hours before the exams and walked out with an A. Mileage may vary, but I found it pretty easy. He gave out lots of extra credit and the final was optional if you were happy with your grade.

However, I only took 415 - If you want I can ask around a couple animal science friends who had to take both 230 and 415 and ask which they'd suggest as a lighter course.

edit: Asked a friend, she said comparative was easier because it was less in-depth on molecular metabolism.

Hey,

I took both of these classes through NCSU (required for my ANS degree) and I would definitely recommend 415.

415 is more of a broad spectrum nutrition class whereas 230 (at least under the professor I had) was much more in depth about the metabolism of feeds. The professor I had also required a semester project and I think at least 2 papers.

From what I remember of 415 the grade came mostly from the tests and as long as you kept up on the lectures (or listened to them all the night before the test, not that I did that of course :rolleyes:) you were fine. When I took it we did not have the option of not taking the final but his tests are pretty easy and he gives you two practice tests from which about 60% of the actual test questions will be based (either direct copies, phrased slightly differently or the converse to the one from the practice test). I did take the class on line (completely recommend) so the in class session might be different.

Hey,

I took both of these classes through NCSU (required for my ANS degree) and I would definitely recommend 415. ........

THANKS Chilli! I'm definitely signing up for the online 415 class!

This is directed towards cocobean and OSU's animal nutrition course: I found the "international edition" of the text online for ~$19 for this course. I'm guessing this is the same copy of the text you found because the US editions are about $103. I'm wondering if you had any problems using this text and completing assignments for OK's course? I'd like to buy the cheaper book obviously, just want to make sure I can still do the course.

This is directed towards cocobean and OSU's animal nutrition course: I found the "international edition" of the text online for ~$19 for this course. I'm guessing this is the same copy of the text you found because the US editions are about $103. I'm wondering if you had any problems using this text and completing assignments for OK's course? I'd like to buy the cheaper book obviously, just want to make sure I can still do the course.

I can't comment on this book specifically, but I have successfully used international editions of other textbooks before (neuroscience and something else, I think). As far as I can remember, page numbers were slightly different and the comparison numbers were in metric, but it worked out. If its that much cheaper, you might be able to get away with it.

I have a question for anyone who has taken a Correspondence Education class through Oklahoma State. I will be signing up for two classes in October or November so I need to enter the classes on VMCAS as ones I'm planning to take. What do I list the term as since the class is a year-long. I asked both VMCAS and the people at the Correspondence Education department and no one seems to know what to put. Also for the 'term type' I put 'unit'. Does that seem right? Thanks so much for all your help!

I have a question for anyone who has taken a Correspondence Education class through Oklahoma State. I will be signing up for two classes in October or November so I need to enter the classes on VMCAS as ones I'm planning to take. What do I list the term as since the class is a year-long. I asked both VMCAS and the people at the Correspondence Education department and no one seems to know what to put. Also for the 'term type' I put 'unit'. Does that seem right? Thanks so much for all your help!

I got a similar roadblock when I asked. (ie, a bunch of confusion)

You could either list it under the term you registered for it, or the term you finished it. Since you haven't finished it yet, I would go with the former.

Of course, this may cause some confusion if you finish the class over 2 or more terms, but you can always explain it to the adcom if they have questions.