Online BSN to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohgreat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I know this is a common question, but I am looking for a specific answer. I'm currently working on my ADN at my local CC (I know, why didn't I just go for med school to begin with, etc.)

At this point, I would really like to finish up, and go for my online bridge to BSN with an accredited school of course. However, I understand most med schools are weary of online courses, would this be a Nono, even for something like nursing?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I know this is a common question, but I am looking for a specific answer. I'm currently working on my ADN at my local CC (I know, why didn't I just go for med school to begin with, etc.)

At this point, I would really like to finish up, and go for my online bridge to BSN with an accredited school of course. However, I understand most med schools are weary of online courses, would this be a Nono, even for something like nursing?

Thanks in advance
I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you trying to finish an advanced nursing degree? Or are you trying to get your bachelors and apply to medical school? If you are applying to med school, do you have a degree now? Have you taken your prerequisites?

I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you trying to finish an advanced nursing degree? Or are you trying to get your bachelors and apply to medical school? If you are applying to med school, do you have a degree now? Have you taken your prerequisites?

No, I am completing my ADN (associates degree of nursing) at my local community college. I am looking to get my 4 year BSN (bachelor of nursing) through an online bridge program that requires you to have your ADN. My question is if most schools will recognize my online degree.

I have not started my pre reqs for med school, as this is holding me back

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I am completing my ADN (associates degree of nursing) at my local community college. I am looking to get my 4 year BSN (bachelor of nursing) through an online bridge program that requires you to have your ADN. My question is if most schools will recognize my online degree.

I have not started my pre reqs for med school, as this is holding me back

I think online classes for classes that are not prerequisites for med school are acceptable at most medical schools.

My advice step by step:
1) Finish ADN and pass the NCLEX
2) Get your BSN bridge classes done (using employer money for tuition reimbursement if possible) so you have the required bachelors for med school matriculation
3) Start on your med school prerequisites. At a four-year university if possible and of course, in person.

Reactions: 2 users
I think online classes for classes that are not prerequisites for med school are acceptable at most medical schools.

My advice step by step:
1) Finish ADN and pass the NCLEX
2) Get your BSN bridge classes done (using employer money for tuition reimbursement if possible) so you have the required bachelors for med school matriculation
3) Start on your med school prerequisites. At a four-year university if possible and of course, in person.

Perfect, thank you!

Perfect, thank you!
I should also say that you could complete your pre-reqs for medical school first then take the MCAT and after that THEN finish your BSN. The benefit here is that you can apply to medical school as soon as you have your MCAT and the application cycle is at least a year. You may save yourself a year by taking the MCAT and then applying the next June and finish the BSN during the application year.

This is versus finishing the BSN, finishing prereqs then the MCAT and potentially having to wait another year to apply. Applications between June and August give an advantage over applications in September and applications after 9/30 are at a big disadvantage. Plus admissions committees don't give any positive weight to BSN grades because they're not prereqs.

Reactions: 1 user
I should also say that you could complete your pre-reqs for medical school first then take the MCAT and after that THEN finish your BSN. The benefit here is that you can apply to medical school as soon as you have your MCAT and the application cycle is at least a year. You may save yourself a year by taking the MCAT and then applying the next June and finish the BSN during the application year.

This is versus finishing the BSN, finishing prereqs then the MCAT and potentially having to wait another year to apply. Applications between June and August give an advantage over applications in September and applications after 9/30 are at a big disadvantage. Plus admissions committees don't give any positive weight to BSN grades because they're not prereqs.
I agree with that. Online BSN degrees do not have any science courses anyways. So, after a BSN you will have to take at least 1 year of Post-Bacc and then MCAT and then apply.

I suggest, after ADN, work on your prerequisites and work on ECs