Other OT-Related Information Online Classes During COVID-19 (Tips and Tricks to stay organized)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OThopefully183

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

With many in summer session already, I wanted to ask and see if you all have tips and tricks for online schooling for the foreseeable future (most likely until the end of the year)? How to stay organized or successful despite not having in person classes.

It has been awhile since I was in school and I am a tad nervous, which I am assuming some others might be as well. Online classes I have not really been a big fan of or particularly motivated when it comes to it so I thought it would be nice to see what others are doing to stay on top of it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

What works for you in person and what makes you nervous regarding online learning? The organization is essential and whatever you do physically can be accommodated into virtual. Establish a large calendar with all the dates due in the semester so you can see what your week and month anticipate to look like. Balance and routine for when to work hard, when to play hard, and when to rest are so important.

What works for you in person and what makes you nervous regarding online learning? The organization is essential and whatever you do physically can be accommodated into virtual. Establish a large calendar with all the dates due in the semester so you can see what your week and month anticipate to look like. Balance and routine for when to work hard, when to play hard, and when to rest are so important.

Thank you for your suggestion! I think that is what I will start doing and get a huge white board calendar. I guess I am just a bit nervous as I heard that OT school can get overwhelming if you don't write things down. In college I use to be able to remember and get lazy not writing it down, so I have developed this bad habit. It is time for a change so hopefully this helps in grad school as I heard can get crazy sometimes.

I think it is just being out of school for so long that I am nervous about making the shift back to being a student. I think I'm just overthinking it. I felt that in person classes gave me structure I suppose and made me feel more active. It is just something I guess I have to get use to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your suggestion! I think that is what I will start doing and get a huge white board calendar. I guess I am just a bit nervous as I heard that OT school can get overwhelming if you don't write things down. In college I use to be able to remember and get lazy not writing it down, so I have developed this bad habit. It is time for a change so hopefully this helps in grad school as I heard can get crazy sometimes.

I think it is just being out of school for so long that I am nervous about making the shift back to being a student. I think I'm just overthinking it. I felt that in person classes gave me structure I suppose and made me feel more active. It is just something I guess I have to get use to.

There are many instructors and learners that have to quickly adapt to online delivery at this time. They didn't plan on it but they are forced into it during a time of crisis. Communicate with your faculty and support fellow OT students during this time. Think about how clients or patients will look to you in the future. Occupational therapy schooling prepares you to evaluate, assess, and deliver care all by your self. School is mostly theory and fieldwork is when it all comes alive. You have to be independent and you have to ask for help when you need it. It will be fine.

Getting in is the most difficult part of OT school (in my opinion). You proved you are worth investing in so continue to collaborate with others to make your dream into a reality. The few that I know don't make it either didn't want it enough or tried shortcuts and that didn't pay off. Hard work pays off!

Reactions: 2 users
There are many instructors and learners that have to quickly adapt to online delivery at this time. They didn't plan on it but they are forced into it during a time of crisis. Communicate with your faculty and support fellow OT students during this time. Think about how clients or patients will look to you in the future. Occupational therapy schooling prepares you to evaluate, assess, and deliver care all by your self. School is mostly theory and fieldwork is when it all comes alive. You have to be independent and you have to ask for help when you need it. It will be fine.

Getting in is the most difficult part of OT school (in my opinion). You proved you are worth investing in so continue to collaborate with others to make your dream into a reality. The few that I know don't make it either didn't want it enough or tried shortcuts and that didn't pay off. Hard work pays off!

You are right as long as my determination is there and I work hard I'll be fine. Thank you I really appreciate the pep talk I needed it haha. :)

You are right as long as my determination is there and I work hard I'll be fine. Thank you I really appreciate the pep talk I needed it haha. :)
I forgot to actually answer your question: How to stay organized or successful despite not having in-person classes.
You need to find the balance of having all the information without being overwhelmed. Different people handle information differently. I like to see my monthly calendar but plan for the week to come. You should use what worked for you in undergraduate and refine that. OT school helped me find the way I should have been studying.