Online classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038633

Just as a side note: *When I say online classes, I am referring to asynchronous classes/remote classes

Hello everyone,

This is a freshman in undergrad speaking. As you all know by now, we started university online due to COVID-19 and surprisingly, I actually am enjoying online remote classes (not like I have a choice to choose on-campus anyways). I am assuming medical schools will make a leeway for this whole COVID-19 issue and the online classes students had to take. However, my question is whether medical schools will care much if I take online classes for either prereq/non-prereq courses after the COVID-19 thing goes away (hopefully). If this helps, I am at a 4-year public accredited university in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

As you have mentioned, Medical Schools apply no malus to your application if pre-requisites are taken online during this pandemic. However, once the pandemic is over, I imagine taking pre-requisites online will return to being a big no-no.

I am no adcom, so don't assume my word is the law. Hopefully @Goro can clarify further.

Reactions: 2 users
As you have mentioned, Medical Schools apply no malus to your application if pre-requisites are taken online during this pandemic. However, once the pandemic is over, I imagine taking pre-requisites online will return to being a big no-no.

I am no adcom, so don't assume my word is the law. Hopefully @Goro can clarify further.

I agree, especially with the pre-reqs. In fact during the pandemic remote learning I’d focus on the Gen Ed classes and save the science requirements etc for when you are back on campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, especially with the pre-reqs. In fact during the pandemic remote learning I’d focus on the Gen Ed classes and save the science requirements etc for when you are back on campus.

I don't think going that far is necessary. This pandemic will continue into the spring, and for all we know, next fall as well. Even if it doesn't these massive 300 student pre-req courses will likely be online until COVID is entirely under control and a vaccine administered. Delaying pre-reqs will delay everything from MCAT studying to being able to take more advanced science courses. Medical schools will not view an application as weaker for being forced to take these courses online for the duration of the pandemic, especially if no in-person option is given. Hell, the entire Ivy League undergrad is 90% online right now.

For these reasons I would highly recommending continuing along the standard pre-medical course sequence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't think going that far is necessary. This pandemic will continue into the spring, and for all we know, next fall as well. Even if it doesn't these massive 300 student pre-req courses will likely be online until COVID is entirely under control and a vaccine administered. Delaying pre-reqs will delay everything from MCAT studying to being able to take more advanced science courses. Medical schools will not view an application as weaker for being forced to take these courses online for the duration of the pandemic, especially if no in-person option is given. Hell, the entire Ivy League undergrad is 90% online right now.

For these reasons I would highly recommending continuing along the standard pre-medical course sequence.
Thanks for the insight. I was also planning on getting my calculus 1 done in summer online through my 4-year uni of course, I wasn't just if medical schools would be too fond of that idea.. I want to get done with it this summer because I don't want to take a math course alongside orgo chem and so on because my math isn't the best..

Thanks for the insight. I was also planning on getting my calculus 1 done in summer online through my 4-year uni of course, I wasn't just if medical schools would be too fond of that idea.. I want to get done with it this summer because I don't want to take a math course alongside orgo chem and so on because my math isn't the best..

See my reply in the other thread.

You're right, but @candbgirl still makes a GREAT point. Med schools surely won't penalize applicants for taking classes the only way they are delivered (online), but, as someone in the middle of it now, online classes SUCK compared to in person. If you care about the actual learning experience, and if your schedule allows for it, it is definitely better to take science classes in person. JMHO.

You're right, but @candbgirl still makes a GREAT point. Med schools surely won't penalize applicants for taking classes the only way they are delivered (online), but, as someone in the middle of it now, online classes SUCK compared to in person. If you care about the actual learning experience, and if your schedule allows for it, it is definitely better to take science classes in person. JMHO.

Ah, I did not think about it that way as I have been out of school for a while. This is indeed a good point.