online course for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

miele

hello to everyone!

this is my first message on sdn although I've been reading the posts here for a while... it's such a helpful forum!
And now it's my turn to ask for advice. :) I am an IMG preparing for the USMLE Step 1. I have already purchased a bunch of review books, but I was wondering what is your opinion on the princeton review online course. It's not very expensive (around $400 I think) but I don't know if it is worth it. Can I rely on it for the whole preparation? or is it good enough as a supplement ( I have already purchased BRS path and physio, Lippincott biochem and pharm, high yield bs and neuroanatomy)? or should I just rely on my own studying and just register for the Kaplan qbank later on?
and some last information... I am planning on taking the test in January and I won't be able to attend any regular classroom course in the US (like Kaplan), cause I am in Europe right now (Greece).
Any advice would be much appreciated! :love:
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Miele.
Sorry, i don t know about the Princeton review but i was wondering: Where are u in Greece? Are u from Greece, to start with?:)
When the last forest is destroyed, and the last river is dried out, and the last fish is killed, then we ll understand that we can't eat money.

Miele-
I've heard, through people who have taken the online course, that it doesn't do much for you that individual reviewing won't, unless you are the kind of student who needs a regimented study plan or someone else kind of watching over your studying (not that there is anything wrong with that). It sounds like you have the right review books, and if you combine them with Kaplan QBank, you should be fine.

All the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kansan-
Thanks so much! I will most likely follow your advise and start reviewing on my own. You are right about the value of individual studying; the only reason I was thinking of an online course was that, as an IMG, I am not familiar with the format of the exam and need guidance. :confused:
But I think I will just concentrate on doing a ton of practise questions; these will probably give me a good idea of what is needed for the real exam... :)

theodore-
Hi! :)
Yes, I am Greek! I live in Athens and recently graduated from the Univesity of Athens Medical School. Nice to know that there are other Greeks on this forum! :D
Hope we keep in touch... bye

I will agree with studying on your own. Anyway, there are plenty of quality books out there. I have around 7000 questions in my library, i'm taking step 1 December, and i'm sure i'll never go through all of them. I mean, u can only study that much for Step1, and no matter what, u'll still have unknown things in the test.:) Miele, i'm from Crete, and i'm studying in Hungary(5TH YEAR).
Kserw, niwtheis pws gerases, ma krata ligo akoma(u r taking it in January, right? I'll let u know how individual study will have reflected on my score report by then).
When the last forest is destroyed, and the last river is dried out, and the last fish is killed, then we'll understand that we can't eat money.