Online Courses to Boost GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmelrose89

Reaction score
All,

I feel like I'm standing up in front of an AA group, or confessing to a priest, but here goes:

About ten years ago--Jesus--I was an undergraduate premed. I was lazy and unfocused, with poor results--an undergrad Science GPA of just 2.0.

I took most all the pre-reqs, did well in a few, did quite poorly several others. I went to law school instead, did well, and have been practicing as an attorney these past few years, but have always wanted to go back.

My big question is: since I've already taken most of the pre-reqs in person at a university, if I'm just looking to boost my Science GPA north of 3.0, should I retake the pre-req classes online or should I retake them in person? Obviously, I need to show an upward GPA trend.

I know that many med-schools don't accept online pre-reqs, but since I've already taken them in person, even though I did poorly, can I just retake them online to get the GPA boost and show that I'm penitent and reformed?

Will the online courses still be calculated into my Science GPA even if they aren't accepted as "pre-requisites" by given universities? I'd love to know your thoughts, or hear from anyone who's been in a similar position.

Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you failed these pre-reqs, you don't need to retake them. I'd focus on taking upper div science classes, especially courses you can find in med school (anatomy, physio, hematology, histology etc). If you can take them in person that's fine, but n=1, none of the schools had issues with any of my post-bacc classes being online (best to check each school's website).

Reactions: 1 users
That's fantastic advice Nugester! Where did you find those classes online? I'm aware of the New England University online courses, any other good resources for an online post-bacc? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's fantastic advice Nugester! Where did you find those classes online? I'm aware of the New England University online courses, any other good resources for an online post-bacc? Thanks!
Harvard extension school has several online. I have actually taken biochemistry online and it was a great experience. They also have a large option of inperson/online classes. This means you can either take them online or attend the actual lectures. They have several upper level science courses. Of course, these would be just lecture without lab.

Reactions: 2 users
Harvard extension school has several online. I have actually taken biochemistry online and it was a great experience. They also have a large option of inperson/online classes. This means you can either take them online or attend the actual lectures. They have several upper level science courses. Of course, these would be just lecture without lab.
Did you take biochemistry from Harvard Extension? What was it like it in terms of work and level of difficulty? I want to take a biochem class prior to the MCAT, but I'm not sure I'll be able to fit an in-person class in before then.

My next question: does anyone have experience with Straighter line/Charter Oaks State College for their post-bacc?

Did you take biochemistry from Harvard Extension? What was it like it in terms of work and level of difficulty? I want to take a biochem class prior to the MCAT, but I'm not sure I'll be able to fit an in-person class in before then.
Yes, I did. It was a difficult class but I also had a lot going on in my life. The teachers and TAs are really helpful. Lots of study sessions and online video office hours.

My next question: does anyone have experience with Straighter line/Charter Oaks State College for their post-bacc?
I looked in to Straighter Line! They don't have many upper level classes, front what I remembered. Also, I'm not sure every college accepts their credit- I think they have a list on their website of who their educational "partners" are. If you're looking for credit to fulfill the pre-req's, I'd check with some of the schools that you want to apply to first if they would accept them. I have thought of taking some of them though, just as a refresher study to the MCAT. I also took a lot of my science pre-req's 10 years ago!

Something you could look into...I'm currently taking some online classes from a local community college. Some will tell you CC isn't ideal, but for us non-trads who work full time, and are financially responsible for ourselves, these classes are easier to fit in our schedules and are more affordable!

Reactions: 1 user
I made a list earlier this year of schools I emailed and asked whether they accept online courses and don't "officially" treat them differently. Here are the ones that said yes, the caveat being that I asked if I could take them online due to military service: UCSF, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, USC, Johns Hopkins, USUHS, Georgetown, Tufts, GW, Harvard. The only no's I got were from Stanford and Kaiser Permanente. I stopped emailing after I decided I wouldn't be taking any courses online, and would rather just do them in person, so this list is obviously California-leaning and incomplete.

Reactions: 1 users
I looked in to Straighter Line! They don't have many upper level classes, front what I remembered. Also, I'm not sure every college accepts their credit- I think they have a list on their website of who their educational "partners" are. If you're looking for credit to fulfill the pre-req's, I'd check with some of the schools that you want to apply to first if they would accept them. I have thought of taking some of them though, just as a refresher study to the MCAT. I also took a lot of my science pre-req's 10 years ago!

Something you could look into...I'm currently taking some online classes from a local community college. Some will tell you CC isn't ideal, but for us non-trads who work full time, and are financially responsible for ourselves, these classes are easier to fit in our schedules and are more affordable!
Sounds like we're in the same boat! If love to hear more about where you're at in the journey!

From your experience, would you say that it would be possible to get an A in biochemistry online from Harvard extension school while 1) working full-time and 2) not having taken organic chemistry yet. Thanks!

From your experience, would you say that it would be possible to get an A in biochemistry online from Harvard extension school while 1) working full-time and 2) not having taken organic chemistry yet. Thanks!

Yes :)
Source: n=1, me

Reactions: 1 user