Online Degree= Bad News?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmyBass2011

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if after finishing all my science classes at a community college, if it would kill my application to do my Junior & Senior year of my bachelors online from an accredited univeristy namely, www.aiuonline.com I could get my BBA in Health Care Management there. With my husband being stationed in the Army in the middle of the desert (about 250 miles from the nearest univeristy). I don't have the option of an on campus bachelors... Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have an option of getting one from a school that also has a physical presence somewhere (i.e. it also has a brick and mortar school)

There is a huge range of quality of online educational programs. Do your research, as an online degree from JHU public health isnt the same as one from diplomamill.com

AUI is an accredited university that has physical campuses (there's one near my local mall), which is a great plus. You have a good reason NOT to do the bachelor's without your physical presence The only disavantage may be that, since you aren't in person, professors don't see and get to know you better for recommendation purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a community college about 45 minutes away that I will be doing my Science and Spanish classes at. I can get LORS from them. Do you think the last 2 years online will really hurt me?

:mad:

If no one else will say it, I will. I think thats an absolutely ghetto way of getting a degree and I can't imagine adcoms wouldn't thumb their noses at your path. I mean, seriously, do you really think people are going to respect a 50% community college courseload + a 50% online degree course load?

I personally would not respect your degree.

Also, there are many adcoms that openly state their distaste for people coming from CC's. Look into that for the schools you're interested in.

You'd really have to represent big time on the MCAT and I think thats easier said then done. You wouldn't have taken long tests in groups for years etc.

Anyway, thats MY opinion.

call the schools you are going to apply to talk to an admssion officer (not a secretary) and ask them. otherwise i tend to agree with peterock

My university discourages online courses for pre-med students. The reasoning is that because it is online, there isn't any verification that it's you taking the tests, etc. Some of my classmates (non pre-med) adore online classes because they are generally very easy and they can get together to work on their tests.
I sympathize that online courses are your only current option. I would avoid them if at all possible. Look at the bright side, you can spend your time participating in volunteer work, shadowing doctors, writing a book, saving the environment. There are plenty of things you can do that will affect your acceptance into med school. Many of these things some of us will never have the chance to do. Bide your time building experiences, then go to a brick and mortar school.

Adios

Also getting all pre-req courses at a CC is "frowned upon by some adcoms" beware. Here is some info from U of Miami FAQ:

Can I take all of my premed courses at a junior college near my home?

Most admissions committees feel that there are differences between junior college and senior college courses. Whether this view is justified or not, you should contact a specific medical school to see how they view coursework taken at the junior college level. The University of Miami School of Medicine will accept junior college courses but much prefers that the premed courses be taken at the senior college level. Perhaps a more important question to ask yourself is how these courses are going to prepare you to take the MCAT and survive in medical school.

Because you are competing with about 35,000 or more applicants it is in your interest to for sure NOT complete your degree online...

Originally posted by AmyBass2011
I am just wondering if after finishing all my science classes at a community college, if it would kill my application to do my Junior & Senior year of my bachelors online from an accredited univeristy namely, www.aiuonline.com I could get my BBA in Health Care Management there. With my husband being stationed in the Army in the middle of the desert (about 250 miles from the nearest univeristy). I don't have the option of an on campus bachelors... Any advice?

It wouldn't be a problem but then you would only get into online med schools. Luckily, their applications and interviews (via IM) are online as well so it works out. :laugh:

I think the best thing to do, without question, is check with the specific schools you are interested in as to how acceptable this is. In the end, anything else is mere conjecture.

good luck
:)

I think it would be in your best interest to NOT complete the degree on-line. I think you would be much better off completing the degree at the campus of an accredited institution. With your husband serving in the army, I'm not sure if you could arrange the opportunity to attend a university on a part-time or full-time basis. Well, best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Off topic, but nice picture, and cute baby :).

Originally posted by Peterock
:mad:

If no one else will say it, I will. I think thats an absolutely ghetto way of getting a degree and I can't imagine adcoms wouldn't thumb their noses at your path. I mean, seriously, do you really think people are going to respect a 50% community college courseload + a 50% online degree course load?

I personally would not respect your degree.

Also, there are many adcoms that openly state their distaste for people coming from CC's. Look into that for the schools you're interested in.

You'd really have to represent big time on the MCAT and I think thats easier said then done. You wouldn't have taken long tests in groups for years etc.

Anyway, thats MY opinion.

Dude...what's your problem? I was pretty certain that the OP made it CLEAR that she can't attend a "brick & mortar" school due to family restraints....Her husband is in the army in the middle of the desert and if you bothered to look at her picture....there's a baby in there too...meaning she has a lot to take care of at home...

I think if you do well on the mcats...you will prove yourself and be comparable to university graduates....plus if you do well...with having a husband in the army and having to take care of a baby....they'll give you more of a consideration

Thank you so much for your help. My husband and I were actually talking about me and our 2 kids (ages 3 & 1 1/2) being seperated from him for 2 years so I can go to a brick and mortar school. I would do it if I had to.... This is a really hard decision. Split the kids from their father for 2 years? Or do a degree online? I really want to get into med school...

Let me share what some of the schools wrote back and told me considering my situation:

Medical schools typically prefer to see students complete their prerequisite course work at a four year institution. The course work from the community college, as long as it is a regionally accredited institution, will count and be OK to be considered for admission.

Thank you for your interest in our program. I wish I could tell you that it wouldn't matter, but our admissions committee generally is more critical of candidates that have taken all of their prerequisite science courses at a community college. I am afraid, regardless of your circumstances (and I do sympathize, you and your family are certainly doing all of us a service in the military), their experience as instructors over many years is that students who have not taken courses at larger 4 year institutions tend to have difficulty in the large, and often competitive environment of a medical school. However, we do have many current students who did take a few of the basic sciences or math at a community college, but in every case, they went on to take advanced biological science courses at a four year campus. Essentially, you have to prove to the committee that you can handle 18-20 credits of advance biological science courses (Physiology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry etc) each semester and community college prep or high mcat scores don't really prove that.

In all honesty, there would be some concern if you completed your degree and all of our requirements at an on-line university or community college. Our curriculum is structured and rigorous. Unfortunately, a degree from an on-line university and community college will not easily lend itself as preparation for our curriculum.

Unfortunately, what you are proposing would not be competitive for our school.

Looks like we need to be seperated.... :(

Another concern about online degree is the lab components of the science classes. Now you can argue that the lab skills are irrelevant to your future goals, but they ARE requirements.

Well...where those allopathic or osteopathic medical schools writing back regarding your circumstances?

Osteopathic medical schools look at your life experiences to a greater degree rather than just comparing your mcat and gpa.....so maybe if you do a LOT of volunteering around your area....plus many other extra curricular activities.....i am sure you won't have a problem with osteopathic schools...

with allopathic schools....you would generally have a problem as they look at your academcs more than extracurriculur activities...

Hi Amy-

I'm sorta familiar w/ your area, and I actually went to a CC that had a link to CSU-Chico and CSU-Fresno for 4 year degrees. You went to the CC campus and took "classes" via a satellite link. Granted, the majors offered were limited, but you still got your degree from a 4 year institution and your transcript and diploma wont be any different than if you physically went to the 4-year school. Maybe Barstow College has something like that? Maybe Antelope Valley or Victor Valley may be places to inquire further about this. Granted, they're a bit of a drive from Ft Irwin, but it wouldnt hurt to try. Best of luck.

Good point, but it sounds as if AmyBeth already has finished or plans to finish the science pre-reqs at a CC. She'd be completing degree requirements for a public health degree at the online place -- they're probably didactic courses with no accompanying labs.

But it's true that she'd be unable to take advanced level science classes online, which is what one of her e-mails stated would be a good antidote from having done her pre-reqs at a CC instead of a 4-year college.

Originally posted by AmyBass2011

Well ... all I can say is good luck.

Being seperated from your husband, raising kids alone, while taking a full-college courseload at a 4-year university will certainly be taxing physically and mentally.

But the pain and sacrifice that you will go through will only make the reward (graduation, becoming a physician) all the more sweet :)

Just remember this adage: what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

Also, you are setting a wonderful example for your kids - nothing is out of reach if you have hard work, determination, and some sacrifices.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Okay I do not get this, I am also a military wife and prior service so I do know where you are coming from, but dang whay not wait until your husband gets stationed somewhere else before attempting this? It will be extremely difficult to go to school FT or whatever and have small kids at home when you will be at it alone. Medical school will always be there so if you wait one/two/three years it will not matter in the long run. In my honest opinion and I know you did not ask for one this is plain insane...

Originally posted by group_theory

Also, you are setting a wonderful example for your kids - nothing is out of reach if you have hard work, determination, and some sacrifices.

I hate to rain on this quote, but this doesn't seem like a "wonderful example." Separation for the kids, and breaking up a family so that one person can fulfill dreams. What about the kid's dreams of being around their father more often. I apologize if I'm misunderstanding the intended future living arrangements, but the decision here seems to be neglecting the children a bit.

Am I missing something here?

Just my $.01999999999999