Online degrees from London School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hidradenitis

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have first-hand knowledge about the quality of these online programs offered by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine? I know they have a strong reputation but haven't heard anything either way regarding the distance programs. (First-hand knowledge only, please -- I can guess as well as anybody.)

Here's the link (towards the bottom):

http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/prospectus/masters/

Members don't see this ad.

*Bump*

I am also curious about this distance program. Has anyone out there done it? Or known someone else who has? Or heard of its existence? Thanks!

Find out if there is any distinction issued by LSHTM on degrees earned online/distance learning versus their classrooms. If there is no distinction and you don't have to report it as a degree earned by means other than in their classrooms, then I would recommend you apply based on LSHTM internationally renowned programs. If there is a distinction, don't waste your money even if the quality is decent because public health is brutal when it comes to degree reputations. There is nothing that screams screen this applicant out than an online degree (the clinical and epi portions of the program are all Internet based) however, since it's labeled distance learning as opposed to online, then it may not be so terrible for your career.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Find out if there is any distinction issued by LSHTM on degrees earned online/distance learning versus their classrooms. If there is no distinction and you don't have to report it as a degree earned by means other than in their classrooms, then I would recommend you apply based on LSHTM internationally renowned programs. (AgentSik007)

Hmm, this is tricky. The LSHTM runs the course, but it all goes through this website: http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/ . As far as I can tell, it looks like it is the same degree, but says "external student" on it. I don't quite know what to make of it.

Upon successful completion of my studies, who will award the degree or diploma?

Upon successful completion of your studies, you will be awarded the University of London degree, diploma or certificate (depending on which qualification you were registered for). There is only one University of London degree and it is awarded to both internal and External students.

The certificate itself states that you studied as an External student and carries the following extract from the Statutes of the University: "Candidates granted degrees and other awards shall have attained the same academic standard irrespective of mode or place of study or examination." (http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/prospective_students/faqs/postgrad/pg_gradu.shtml )

In contrast, I know that JHU's "part time" MPH gets exactly the same diploma as a full time student.

What is the difference between the part-time/Internet-based MPH and the MPH I would receive if I came to the campus to study?

Nothing. The degree you receive is the same whether you study full-time, part-time, or via the Internet. The strategies you use to master the competencies are different, but the skills you must master are the same. The MPH program at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health has been accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health. (http://www.jhsph.edu/academics/degreeprograms/mph/faq.html#iMPH)

But, this does bring up a question I have... let's say you get the distance or online degree, and the diploma is identical in every way. When they ask in your interview "Gee, how is the weather in London this time of year?" should you say "Rainy!" even though you've never actually lived there? (IE: Won't they figure out you were a remote student somehow anyway?)

i've seen a local physician with a degree from this school and i always wondered about it. how prestigious is this program?