Online Graduate Programs: Quick Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunmoon6689

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are online graduate programs in areas such as public health frowned upon by admissions committees? Does anybody know of an individual who has had success gaining admission to medical school after completing such a program? Thank you for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Are online graduate programs in areas such as public health frowned upon by admissions committees? Does anybody know of an individual who has had success gaining admission to medical school after completing such a program? Thank you for the help.

Typically, traditional degrees are preferred but of course at times mitigating circumstances don't permit people to attend a traditional school ... as such, most Adcoms are sensitive enough to take circumstances into account.

If it was an online university like the University of Phoenix, then it would probably be frowned upon. However, there are some reputable universities which offer online or distance graduate degrees. I don’t know if any offer them in the health sciences fields but I would assume some might. Also, when I say reputable universities I mean ones that you can actually attend physically if you wanted to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it was an online university like the University of Phoenix, then it would probably be frowned upon. However, there are some reputable universities which offer online or distance graduate degrees. I don’t know if any offer them in the health sciences fields but I would assume some might. Also, when I say reputable universities I mean ones that you can actually attend physically if you wanted to.

To offer a couple of examples of online health-related graduate programs from reputable institutions: Medical College of Wisconsin and Loyola University in Chicago both offer online master's degrees in bioethics.

Thanks for your advice and help!! I really appreciate it.

The Johns Hopkins online MPH is well respected. And pricey.

Personally, I'd be pretty comfortable looking at the online version of well-respected, well-established classroom MPH's. If the classroom version of the MPH doesn't have a strong reputation, I wouldn't pursue the online version.